The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Columbia, Maryland

Default Philly Police Horses to be Named After Fallen Officers

Excerpt from article:

The Philadelphia Police Department plans to name five adopted horses in its reinstated mounted patrol unit after officers who were killed in the line of duty.

The memorial has won praise from the Fraternal Order of Police and families of the slain officers, John McNesby, local Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5 president, said yesterday.

The horses will be named after Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, who was killed May 3, 2008; Isabel Nazario, who was killed Sept. 5, 2008; Sgt. Patrick McDonald, who was killed Sept. 23, 2008; Sgt. Timothy Simpson, who was killed Nov. 11, 2008; and John Pawlowski, who was killed on Feb. 13, 2009.

The horses are to be named Stephen, Santiago (Nazario's maiden name), Pat, Tiny Tim and Johnny.

"I think it's a nice tribute. For Commissioner [Charles] Ramsey to make that gesture, it means a lot to the families," McNesby said, adding that he spoke with Kim Pawlowski, whose husband, John, was killed in the line of duty.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

NYPD does this too --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Pottstown, PA (East Coventry)

In some ways I like it.
    However if they are accepting the horses as donations I don't like the thought of changing the horse's name. I somehow think that changing the horse's name is disrespectful to the donor. I would also think that if the donor is willing to take back their horse upon retirement changing the name might make keeping track of that muddy.

If these horses were rescues that were adopted go for it. If they were outright purchased, no problem. New life, new name.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)