The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Banning Non-Profits

This is a open question, no finger pointing on my behalf at any specific non-profit:

I would like for the CoTH powers that be to state at what point & for what infractions they will deny a non-profit fund raising privledges on CoTH.

I have already asked a Mod once & did not receive a reply. So now I am publically asking.

Just wondering what the rules really are.

TIA

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Good question. I think the frenetic rescued horse of the week fundraising threads have gotten a bit out of hand lately but that's just my own personal opinion.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It has evened out a little. We did lose the frantic 'buy now or it get's shipped' broker stuff.

They really are not bothersome, if I don't want to, I don't open (I managed to miss a whole trainwreck this way )

I think as long as those folks have their ducks in a row, it's not more bothersome than any other repeat topic.

(I actually find it helpful to weed some of the whackos out when they circumvent the sanity filter)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Perhaps they need their own sandbox? Then the lines would be clearer and perhaps we would not need to address questions like these? No offense, OP.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I feel like I missed something?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    Perhaps they need their own sandbox? Then the lines would be clearer and perhaps we would not need to address questions like these? No offense, OP.
    Though it would be nice to see, I doubt they would stay confined to a sub-forum if that's what you are suggesting.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

COTH allows nonprofits to post here to solicit for specific event/cause/rescue horse, as long as they aren't doing it excessively. I remember AC4H doing it several days a week every week, which got them a request from mods that it was excessive.

I'm sure you remember that.

Your thread title is kind of misleading though. If you want someone banned, at least have the guts to be direct, and not disingenuous. A PM or email to the mods WILL result in an answer from them when they have time. Starting this kind of thread, is purely pot stirring. Hopefully, the mods will delete this thread and answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    This is a open question, no finger pointing on my behalf at any specific non-profit:

I would like for the CoTH powers that be to state at what point & for what infractions they will deny a non-profit fund raising privledges on CoTH.

I have already asked a Mod once & did not receive a reply. So now I am publically asking.

Just wondering what the rules really are.

TIA
    Just in case somebody thinks better of this or it gets deleted.

In all the years I have been on here, it has been allowed. I get annoyed at all the "20 being shipped next week, please help" titles or the "look at this cute Hunter prospect, please grab her"-so I don't open them. Because I have no intention of buying one even if I could afford it-which I can't. Oh, some push the envelope too much and get kicked off occasionally, some more then once, but as long as it is non profit? I have no problem with it.

Don't see any reason for this thread to be made to vanish by the Mods either, it's a fair question on a board that does not allow advertising in for profit situations.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I remember AC4H doing it several days a week every week, which got them a request from mods that it was excessive.
    It wasn't ac4h, it was a certain poster who wouldn't stop doing it and got banned for it. The poster didn't even have anything to do with ac4h.

Default Jetsmom, et al

Again, I asked a generic/general question of CoTH powers that be. Absolutely no finger pointing, & I made NO requests for any group to be excluded.

I believe that we CoTher's as a whole should be able know what the rules are in regard to non-profit fund raising here. Would it not behoove ALL concerned-the donors & the non-profits?

NO, Jetsmom, I did NOT know about the AC4H thing. I can & do go for days, weeks, & months at a time without reading CoTH. I have no idea the minutiae that goes on here day in & day out, as some so do so.

Jetsmom, let me repeat just for you, I am NOT asking for any non-profit to be banned. I simply want to know what the rules are here for soliciting funds. Nothing underhanded, nasty or nefarious about it what so ever.

Jetsmom, you obviously know of a rule implemented about non profits that I, & how many others, had no idea of. You thus just further pointed out the real need for a sticky, or sub-forum as someone suggested, regarding non-profits. This way we can ALL know the rules.

And sometimes open - if not always professional or respectful - discourse leads to things being done in a better manner than before.

Then again - as previously posted - if you don't want to know about, don't open the thread or continue to read it if the subject matter bothers/annoys/fill-in-blank-here you.

Beautiful thing about freedom of choice - and I appreciate having that ability to choose.

JW
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Suck it up, buttercup. Horses spook. Sometimes they spook to the point of losing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    ...They really are not bothersome, if I don't want to, I don't open...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokers Wild View Post
    And sometimes open - if not always professional or respectful - discourse leads to things being done in a better manner than before.

Then again - as previously posted - if you don't want to know about, don't open the thread or continue to read it if the subject matter bothers/annoys/fill-in-blank-here you.

Beautiful thing about freedom of choice - and I appreciate having that ability to choose.

JW
    Agreed. If a topic doesn't interest me, I simply pass it on by. It's not like there is a shortage of discussion topics on COTH.

I appreciate having the choice and not having someone dictating what I can and cannot read.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Again, I asked a generic/general question of CoTH powers that be. Absolutely no finger pointing, & I made NO requests for any group to be excluded.

I believe that we CoTher's as a whole should be able know what the rules are in regard to non-profit fund raising here. Would it not behoove ALL concerned-the donors & the non-profits?

NO, Jetsmom, I did NOT know about the AC4H thing. I can & do go for days, weeks, & months at a time without reading CoTH. I have no idea the minutiae that goes on here day in & day out, as some so do so.

Jetsmom, let me repeat just for you, I am NOT asking for any non-profit to be banned. I simply want to know what the rules are here for soliciting funds. Nothing underhanded, nasty or nefarious about it what so ever.

Jetsmom, you obviously know of a rule implemented about non profits that I, & how many others, had no idea of. You thus just further pointed out the real need for a sticky, or sub-forum as someone suggested, regarding non-profits. This way we can ALL know the rules.

Funny, I think most people know the rule:
    501c certified charities may solicit participation for certain events.
    At this time that includes
    Special Horses (as the network/go-between guys)
    CANTER USA, some chapters are more active here than others, but I think all are represented
    Bluebonnet
    Sunkissed Acres
    TIER
    A few others are not as visible, and all are pretty busy so they don't post like that often unless there is a mega turd in flight to hit the fan.

That broker thing was excessive, plus coupled with some 'tude' when the request to knock it off was issued.

When the odd private rescue cases lean towards the 'dribble sending' Mod have stepped in a lot to direct that conversation into private channels.

The rule is pretty much out there.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokers Wild View Post

JW
    Some of the discussions have lead to some insightful disclosures about a charity at times.
    (Mickey's Mansion feed storage for example)

If the COTH Mods and PTB are using this thread as a gauge on poster's opin's, put mine in with those who essentially say "If you don't want to read it, use the scroll bar".

No, I don't want to see them removed as I also like seeing the success stories (IE Miracle, the little filly who lived.)
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Default Post #13

I honestly had no idea, so please forgive my ignorance. Will you kindly point me to where this is stickied or posted at?

TIA

I for one would be very sad to see the non-profits leave the board. I am perfectly capable of ignoring threads when I am not interested, or know I am not in a position to help.

However, through this board, I have met some amazing people associated with non-profits. And I have had the privilege of helping in ways I had never imagined, and would never have been possible without CoTH.

I do love horses -- all kinds, from the ahhh-some OTTB to the fuzziest, wooliest pony. I wish I could do more both to enjoy them and to ease the suffering of those innocents who fall victim to less-than-savory humans. But I am limited in my time, talent and treasure.

This board has helped me learn so much about horses and horsekeeping, and thereby enhanced my enjoyment of horses. I now have one of those ahh-some OTTBs for my very own -- only because people on this board opened my eyes to that possibility. Cooper brings so much joy to my life, and to this farm, that I am truly forever grateful to those who showed me that an OTTB could be a great riding horse, even for someone over-the-hill like me.

In the same way, the non-profits who post on this board have shown me the possibilities of what can be done to make a difference. When I see the video of Miracle, I know that we cannot save them all ... but we did manage to save one. Because of their inspiration, I have found ways to participate in the effort, to raise funds, and show my own granddaughter the importance of giving.

I would be very sad if that ceased to occur here.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Also, IIRC the person who got the boot was not complying with the 501c3 rule, but rather trying to get people to buy horses that were technically "for sale" (no matter how distasteful that seller was). So it wasn't for excessive requests as much as requests that were outside the established rule.

I don't wear a mod hat, but the threads are easily identifiable on a one click basis, and if it isn't your thing, easy enough to ignore, I should think... If it IS your thing, it's a really great way to help a lot of horses who really, really need help. That seems like a really sad puppy to kick, all things considered (and this is coming from a person who doesn't really participate on those threads, for what that is worth).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    COTH allows nonprofits to post here to solicit for specific event/cause/rescue horse, as long as they aren't doing it excessively. I remember AC4H doing it several days a week every week, which got them a request from mods that it was excessive.

I'm sure you remember that.
    Hang on, didn't they get spanked because they were fundraising here but the funds were going to a private party (the dealer)?

ETA: Found that thread -- it was both reasons: excessive posting AND fundraising for the gain of private parties.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...94#post5128194
    Last edited by Sithly; Mar. 22, 2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added link.

If this thread is becoming a straw poll, I also would not want to see non-profits banned from CoTH or relegated to a sub-forum.

As to the OP's question re 'infractions', my assumption is that the same rules apply to non-profits that apply to any other poster, and they are the rules stickied to the general forums. The only rule regarding solicitations is that the organization must, indeed, have 501(c)(3) non-profit status.

And I am fine with that.
    Incredible Invisible