The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bumper Pull hitches for F-350

So, I need to get a bumper-pull hitch for my F-350. The truck is already set up, I just need to get one of the slide-in hitches. I was going to order one online, but am wondering something...

This truck sits up higher than any of my past Chevy trucks. I'm wondering if I should get one of those hitches that has a drop to it to make the trailer sit more level when towing?

(Towing a 2003 Merhow 2-horse straight load)

Suggestions?

what you need to do is measure the distance from the lip of the trailer to the ground when it is level, and the distance from the hitch hole to the ground (on the truck). The difference of these two will tell you what sort of drop you need (in my case I needed a 6" drop, i have a 4" lift on my truck!)

eta: trailers can vary at what distance from the ground they sit at level, just as trucks can vary in height.
    Last edited by EventingJ; Mar. 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: edited for clarification

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

walmart carries all of that
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I would recommend getting the ball about 2 inches higher than level trailer tongue. You want empty trailer to ride higher than loaded trailer.

Reason is that weight of LOADED trailer will push tongue down, truck rear down, so then your trailer with horses inside, is going downhill if you started with a leveled hitch.

My trucks with a hitch have always had the ball set above level for the trailers they pulled. First trailer hitch I had put on, the installer explained this reasoning to me. My horses rode level in their trailers.

You probably don't want to call this a bumper hitch on your truck. Brings visions of those old strap on hitches, or the ball fastened in the hole of your step bumper, for pulling trailers. REALLY unsafe, certainly not up to pulling a horse trailer. The ball fastened in step bumper is also UNSAFE, because those bumpers are just fastened with white metal bolts, which break easily. You could have the rear bumper and trailer tongue on the ground really fast with either setup!!

The hitch on the truck should be called a frame hitch, fastened underneath to the frame of truck. Weight spread out for strength.

TRAILER is called a bumper pull, for the level it rides at, though bumper is not actually where you would attach it.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    walmart carries all of that

I've yet to see a walmart that carries anything other than the hollow 500lbs tongue/5000lbs 2" drawbars, not something I would pull a horse trailer with.

But I've not been in all walmarts..........
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Go to your local Uhaul, they have ball and hitch setups for varying loads.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    I've yet to see a walmart that carries anything other than the hollow 500lbs tongue/5000lbs 2" drawbars, not something I would pull a horse trailer with.

But I've not been in all walmarts..........
    Mine sells the Class IV 1000lb TW/10000GTW ones. I've even seen a Class V one there from time to time. There's always just one or two though, hidden among all the Class III ones, so you have to look. -shrug-

I found U-haul to be pricey, and they didn't have a ball the size I wanted rated for the weight I wanted.

I've used this website a few times with success

http://www.etrailer.com/

Although I'm sure they aren't the cheapest either, I never really did look around

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    I found U-haul to be pricey, ... I never really did look around
    They probably are; it was hard to convince myself to look around when U-haul is less than 1 mile from the house

Default Bumper Pull

I agree that you should never use a bumper pull hitch for pulling a horse trailer. A frame hitch or Reese hitch are the terms I normally hear/use.

Apparently, the OP has a frame/platform hitch. In the original post they say they need the "slide in" thing.