The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I just want to give up

This may be a pity party but bear with me please because I am needing some encouragement.
    I have been on the search for a working student position for the past month and a half since I came home from one that was like all the typical working student horror stories you see floating around.
    This past Wednesday I went and visited a farm that was perfect, I could afford and really seemed to like me and asked for me to come. I took a couple days to think about it and write out a budget etc and decided that it was a feasible option for me and called to accept. They said " yes, great we would love for you to come" and told me that they would get back to me that Monday to start planning out the details. They were on their way to a show and would be tied up all weekend. I get a call Monday saying that they were going over their budget and would let me know if could afford a working student.
    I said ok but was thinking that that was something they should have done before offering me a position.I just got a call today saying that they were really sorry but could not afford a working student until the fall and would keep me in mind. ?!?!?!?!
    They had already offered me the position and had said so quite clearly previously and now I am back to square one.
    I was soooooo excitied!!! and now am getting rather depressed because I feel like I keep getting jerked around. Going on interviews and then never hearing from people again, emailing with people back and forth and just when it gets promising, again never hear from them again. Is it too hard that if I am not right just to send me a quick one line email saying so??? Is that not common courtesy or am I expecting too much?
    Anyway this really is my dream and I am rather stubborn about such things but good lord can something not just work out already!!! Agh sorry for the rant but I am having one of those days where I am feeling so frustrated

keep your chin up. Times are really though and I promise you are not alone. I have been on the job hunt for over two years after losing my job in Finance after the crazh in '08. I have had a lot of very frustrating situations happen to me- interviewed for a job that was EXACTLY what I did- drove 1 1/2 hours to interview, at the interview they loved me, perfectly qualified yadayada- get an email two weeks later saying that they didn't think my qualifications met their needs????? Heard of someone else who was offered the job- ready to start- got a letter in the mail saying they had hired someone else for the position. It's so crappy the way employers are treating potential employees right now.

Just keep being persistent and something will turn up. Good luck!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, 3 years ago I could have had a working student...now I just hope to stay in my house...so its not you!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Remember this, and vow to treat people differently in 10 years when it is you who's doing the hiring!

Keep your eyes on your goal, and don't expect anything to happen quickly. (If it does, that's a bonus). A month and a half is not that long.

What discipline are you hoping to get into? I might know of something.

Default SENDING JINGLES AND AO THOUGHTS `` CHIN UP ``

SO SORRY ABOUT THIS `

JINGLES & AO ANOTHER BETTER OPPORTUNITY COMES YOUR WAY SOON``

CHIN UP ` ONE DAY AT A TIME ``

BE KIND TO YOURSELF ``
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

OP, those people were totally wrong to set you up for disappointment. You can see that many here have similar stories, including me, so I hope knowing that you're not alone helps.

And sometimes - hard to see now - it frees you up for a better opportunity. Keep chugging!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I hate to ask a stupid question and don't want to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between a WS and a "groom"??

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

IMO - A working student is an apprentice. Wants to become a professional sometime. They are supposed to be taught the skills necessary to become a professional, ie riding, managing the barn, horse care etc. in exchange for their labor.

A groom is an employee. They are paid for a service. They are usually not taught to be a better rider etc.

What about the groom positions that include lessons/training? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

OP - what kind of position are you looking for? PM me if you want. Depending on what you're looking for, maybe I can help you out!
    I'd rather be riding!

Thanks guys for responding.
    Days like today make me want to give up and get a "real" job and keep my horses as a hobby as I have been told by countless others but I am waaaay to stubborn for that I am gonna keep pluggin along for a bit longer.
    I really appreciate all the responses and I really hate that some of you have had similar experiences because it really, really sucks to have your hopes up only to have it smushed back down to earth. But life is not all rose petals and prancing ponies so starting tomorrow I am gonna put on my big girl pants and start to apply to yet more barns. Tonight is gonna involve chocolate, peanut butter and mindless TV.
    The bright side is that today was my horse's 4th birthday and he is not a baby anymore. He's been under saddle for a year with a month off here and there and I am so happy with how he has progressed. He really is the best part of my day
    Moocow and RooMB4 I sent you guys a PM.

Hang in there bailey!

unlike everyone else, I have been blessed with TWO working student jobs..well more like a stall cleaner. Let me tell you, I have never worked so hard in my entire life...BUT i am blessed. The one job I have I have had for four years but it took two years to find. i bugged every local barn for two years straight and no one wanted to hire a ten year old...finally when I was 12 I got a job..still have it. Then, just got another one after waiting for then to respond to me for THREE months. Now I have it. Hang in there, it will come and be persistent with people.

Please, any of you who want to be working students, especially in a BNT busy barn: be prepared to work you butt off and not be on the same plane as the paying riders. You will learn a lot at the right place but the other part is the hard reality that so many junior riders don't realize as they move out of the junior ranks where so much was done for them and they were basically the center of their trainer's attention. Two of my friends who are BNT recently had disappointing experiences with working students whose expectations were quite different from what WS is.
    If this is what you really want, stick to it!