The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse that won't crap under saddle

This may sound stupid but how do you teach a horse to crap under saddle? My mare absolutely refuses to go and becomes quite ( understandably) grumpy.

Funny, but good luck. I've had my one gelding for about six years, and he's done it maybe twice with me on him. I've accepted that he's modest, and I plan feeding him and making stops in my shows where I can get off and leave him alone to 'do his business'.

My last one didn't until he was 9. When he was younger and had to go he needed to go back to his stall, get undressed and then he would go. First time he went with Mr Trainer over a fence, Mr. Trainer had to stop and ask me if he just pooped! He thought he was hurt for a moment.

The one I have now needs to be at a complete halt to go, he is 7, he wouldn't when he was younger either. Maybe by the time he is 9 he will just go. He rarely goes under saddle, or in the groom stall, he wants to be in his stall.

Then you see the Grand Prix horses come into the ring, do a tour, they halt them at the buzzer, the horse goes, then they pick up a trot or canter and start the course. If they were to go while jumping they could have a rail down with those flat cups. Most of the big jumpers do go, when the rider halts them, before they start their course.

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    If they were to go while jumping they could have a rail down with those flat cups.
    Saw that happen in Tampa, and thought it was the funniest (not to mention unluckiest!) thing...

...horse cleared red-planks, but was crapping as it went, and a big glob hit the planks and brought them down! That HAD to suck, though I doubt the rider even realized what happened until he was told!
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
    ~ImmortalSynn

My mare is 13 and has never "pooped" under saddle.Before i ride or farrier or whatever,she goes into her stall for a few minutes of privacy.Then she is fine.
    mm

It took Scout two years to learn how to crap and walk, or crap and trot. Involved a lot of spurs and crops. I could always tell when he had to go, he'd just start to seize up on me and no amount of leg and clucking could make that horse move. He would stop for a poop in the middle of a three stride line of jumps. Not exactly ideal!

We worked at it and worked at it. You'd have thought I won the lottery a couple months ago when he when down a line of gymnastics and left a poop trail all the way along it. I was hooting and hollering and patting him like crazy. I turned to my trainer and double checked that it was in fact Scout that made the mess cause I didn't feel him sucking back at all to try and stop. Oh happy days.

I'm not sure how to go about training for this, but when I visited the track barn that my OTTB came from, they showed me their method. The trainer somehow taught all the babies to urinate and defecate on command with a certain whistle. She said racehorses run better if they "empty" themselves before leaving their stalls. For a while I rode with a h/j barn that had several horses from that facility. If someone came whistling through the barn, every horse flipped their tails up and starting squeezing it out.

I wish I knew. I've owned my horse for almost 2 years and he has only pooped under saddle once. That was because he saw a beach cruiser hidden behind a tree and I made him walk by it and it literally scared the crap out of him. Otherwise he usually always goes right when I untack him. I've always thought he is grumpy and lazy under saddle sometimes because he has to go.
    Last edited by Mimi La Rue; Mar. 20, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Owned by an Oldenburg

90% of the time my mare will poop on the walk from her stall to the arena. Guess she is just clearing it all out. She hardly ever poops while working, since she would rather just stand still to do her business.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    This may sound stupid but how do you teach a horse to crap under saddle? My mare absolutely refuses to go and becomes quite ( understandably) grumpy.
    Hahahahaa....not sure but one thought would be to watch her closely and give some kind of a cue (don't know what word I'd suggest using...somehow "sh*!" might not be good as it gets used in other contexts). You could try saddling and leaving tied for a long period of time to see if she figures out it is OK. If you watch a lot of competitive horses in a variety of events have learned to do so just as they enter the ring....see tons of cutters that are "unloading" as they walk toward the herd of cows for their first cut.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Mine will only go potty undersaddle 4-5 times a year and she would die before she urinated undersaddle. 95% of the time when I dismount she poops within 30 seconds, usually proceeded by an embarassingly loud and prolonged grunt....such a lady. I have heard of people teached their horse to "empty" before riding but I have never met anyone first-hand.

My gelding has not pooped under saddle in the 11 years I have owned him. He sometimes gets grumpy under saddle - trainer says he feels like he is crossing his legs! Put him in the stall and have to untack him before he will go - then tack back up and off we go.

He will however poop almost every time he is put in the wash rack. Moved to a new barn a month ago and today for the first time put him in the cross ties and within a minute he pooped.

Some horses never get comfortable pooping under saddle.

My old jumper would trot into the ring. I would halt and he would poop almost every time like someone said above. Hard when in a medal class and he did not get to halt - sometimes he would poop on the way to the first jump and you had better have a ton of leg on as he went slower and slower!

Good luck figuring something out -

My horse never did. He would ALWAYS go 3-4 times after a ride. Not often but sometimes he would get really weird during a longer lesson or ride, my trainer would tell me to get off take him to his stall and let him go. Sure enough, then he could finish a lesson. I had to return to his stall after every class at a show, he could do back to back rounds, but not back to back classes, without a break. You learn to adjust to your horses needs.

My older horse who passed a few years ago would never go while in motion. If I was sitting waiting for my turn he would and he would ALWAYS stop and go on the way back to the barn from the ring. I just learned his habits too.

Just a thought here, the only horses I ever had that rarely would poop under saddle were the most serious show horses I had. The mare was a very, very good show Hunter and always crapped in the groom stall before and after the ride.

Had a gelding I showed Western Riding (a pattern class with alot of lead changes in western breed shows) pretty much the same way.

With both of these, I would get off if they started getting antsy in a 2 hour clinic, long lesson or trail ride, loosen the girth. Always solved the problem.

I showed both of these alot and it's about the only thing they had in common, lots of shows and no pooping under saddle. Urinating??? Oh heavens no, neither one of them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSynn View Post
    Saw that happen in Tampa, and thought it was the funniest (not to mention unluckiest!) thing...

...horse cleared red-planks, but was crapping as it went, and a big glob hit the planks and brought them down! That HAD to suck, though I doubt the rider even realized what happened until he was told!

That actually counts as a knockdown? Technically the horse doesn't TRULY touch anything with a part of its body. . .

And how embarrassing if it had happened on a broadcast event - how would the announcers deal?

We have three geldings that hate to urinate in their stables. First thing I do every morning before feeding or anything else, is bring them out in hand so they can do it, then put them back in. It gets a bit labour intensive if they are stabled during the day as someone has to be there to take them out at regular intervals, but it sure makes mucking out easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    That actually counts as a knockdown? Technically the horse doesn't TRULY touch anything with a part of its body. . .

And how embarrassing if it had happened on a broadcast event - how would the announcers deal?
    Yes it is because they lowered the height of the fence.

They don't announce that the horse has 4 faults because they pooped on the fence, they just say 4 faults. That is it.

This sounds strange but my pony would poop every single time I got on him. However, he turned it into this long, torturous process and would take forever and a day to do his thing. It involved stopping and standing for practically forever because he can't walk and talk at the same time. So, after playing this exasperated game time after time, I wised up. I started lunging him for a few minutes before every ride. He would poop during lunging time and I would hop on and beebop around happily. The other day I clipped the lunge line on and he pooped without doing anything lol it started happening sooner and sooner. Everyone at the barn calls it "Bear's pooping time" now. Leave it to my pony..
    The Branded Bear
    Personalized + creative saddle pads for the hunter/jumper enthusiast. Check us out

My new horse has pooped one to 6 times in one ride. He always poops and kinda sucks cause I have to go back and clean it up. He like pooping on the road on the way back to his barn.