The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Soc Em" product for white & bright socks!

Came across this product and I am thinking of importing it to North America and selling it here:

www.socem.com.au

It seems like a very neat concept - you paint it on the night before, its non toxic and dries in thin layers, so if any manure, grass, dirt gets on it, it simply drops off or is brushed off and the socks / stockings stay snow white

They are sending some samples to me to try on my guys

Comments? Would you use it for your white legged horses?

Just trying to figure out what kind of market there will be for this over here with shipping costs added in ...

Kind of silly IMO. Anyone with half a brain would look at that, say "good idea" and mix up some cornstarch and water and apply. I can't imagine anyone paying that much money for something so simple and easy.

I dunno - I have to say I'm intrigued.... TC, if you get it will you let us know how it works?

Anyone with half a brain would look at that, say "good idea" and mix up some cornstarch and water and apply. I can't imagine anyone paying that much money for something so simple and easy.
    Ive used dry cornstarch on white legs and the last thing you want to do is to get that stuff wet! It goes gloopy and clumps and starts running down their legs and covers their feet ... and I know from asking what the composition is of this product there IS no corn starch in there, probably for that exact reason ... ... I wanted to make sure there was nothing toxic in there in case they licked it, and also that nothing in there was going to cause a possible reaction on sensitive skin either ...

I guess that goes for a lot of things out there. Why pay a premium for the molasses and sweet feed horse treats when you really can make them yourself instead for a fraction of the price? Or a friend of mine makes her own polo's for about 1/10th of what you'd pay for a set in the store - but how many of us would actually do so???

I dunno - I have to say I'm intrigued.... TC, if you get it will you let us know how it works?
    Will do. I am waiting for some samples to come in so I can paint away on some of my horses legs and see what I think and how it holds up to "rough" use and not kid glove show ring only use. Supposedly depending on how thickly or thinly you apply it, it will have several layers of "depth" to it, so if some mud or manure spatters on it, you lightly brush off *that* layer and the one underneath is still sparkling white

Im intrigued as well. If you can really apply this the night before, boot or bandage over it the next day to get to the show or to the class AND not have to worry about getting stockings white on the day of the show, I am all for it ...

I have only two socks and a coronet among the 8 legs I take to shows, so it's not a high stress issue for me.

The only time I really work to get white legs sparkling is for a jog, so there's plenty of time to scrub them the morning of the jog, along with the other ablutions.

The rest of the time, I realize that by the time my warmup is over, even the whitest of socks is going to be dirty.

Clipped, clean, and coated with show sheen keeps the worst of the stains under control. Also the thought of layers of "stuff" encrusting legs that are gping to be booted for XC bothers me. I doubt I'd pay for a niche product like this.
    Click here before you buy.

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just wash white legs between early morning longing/schooling and whenever the horse shows.

Just use a product called Show White made by Gold Label. The best whitener you will ever use. With import costs it costs around $20 but lasts forever. You can either paint it on by adding a little water or use it as a powder. I have dozens of people come over at horse shows asking what we use. Waaay brighter than corn starch.

I'm interested to hear how it works. The red clay here means dingy socks after the first class of the day.

If it works I'm going to buy tons of it and then pour it in a big tub so my horse can be coated in it. Grey horses are SO much more work than I even knew...