The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Secretariat look-alike contest in Doswell, VA: $500 to the winner!

My apologies if this has already been posted, but I was on the VHSA site seeing what was going on this weekend for shows, and there is a Secretariat look-alike contest at the Meadows Event Park in Doswell, VA this weekend! It's this Sunday from 1-5pm, with the contest at 3pm. It's $10 to enter with all the $ going towards the Museum of the VA Horse and the preservation of the historic structures at the park.

There is a presentation of horse and hounds at 1:15pm, Rex Peterson will be there with RJ (from Hidalgo) and Harbour Mist (from Secretariat and Dreamer) at 2pm, and other things going on. Penny Chenery and Kate Tweedy will be there to judge! Very exciting. I think I'm just going to watch, but $500 is an incredible prize! I'd even steal one of my friend's chestnut TB's and enter!

I'd love to see a horse that really DOES look like Secretariat. Not just a ring full of chestnuts with white stockings.....

Hmmm I bred a colt with some Secretariat blood in him, he had 4 white socks and a blaze. I sold him toa man from Virginia Beach. The trailer said Roseoldian Farm, I have since lost their contact info, I hope they see this and enter him!! Go Stuey!

Well, mine is a Secretariat grandson, and he does have his grandad's muzzle hairs...but that's all.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I hope it's going to be important to Penny and Kate that the horse also have the presence.. the commanding look... the great but kind force that horse was... my 27 year old QH has markings *somewhat* similar to Secretariat, but he's a 15.2h wooly mess right now!

Wonder how many people will be getting the white paint out...

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    Hmmm I bred a colt with some Secretariat blood in him, he had 4 white socks and a blaze. I sold him toa man from Virginia Beach. The trailer said Roseoldian Farm, I have since lost their contact info, I hope they see this and enter him!! Go Stuey!
    He won't work--Secretariat had 3 white socks.

I have a chestnut OTTB with a stripe....and as soon as he stepped off the trailer, several girls were like, "Secretariat!!" It seems like all a horse needs is some white and a red coat and he's an instant look-a-like.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I wonder if they would consider my Oldenburg mare. She's pretty close for being, well, an Oldenburg mare.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Oh - I should take my gelding who is a second cousin or some such relation - big red chestnut with 3 whites and a (wider) white stripe. Not too mention, we're only 10 minutes from the Meadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

My old saddlebred mare does a pretty good Secretariat impression tearing around the field. The mark on her head is close, except she only has 1 low sock and is 15.2. Oh, and she's in Indiana.

Thumbs up

We are really looking forward to this! Will any other COTHers be there?

There was a Finger Lake's Fines Keen something that was a dead ringer on the blaze for Secretariat. Trying to remember which one...
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I have a grandson also, very similar looking except all legs are chestnut - the face is dead on however. He was my super fancy hunter, and now that he is retired I still think he should model. Unfortunately we are pretty far away it would probably cost me $2000 just to get there so I can win $500. Bleh.

I'll be there! I'm about 15 mins away.. just wish I had someone to bring! I think it's gonna be fun.. plus Rex Peterson is always interesting. Would love to meet Penny and Kate too.

I have a grandson too, big chestnut with a blaze but sadly 4 white socks Maybe we should start a club!
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

We had a great time, despite the horrid weather! My friend took lots of photos with me and my entry, and of the winner, Iowa, of the Caroline Hunt.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=21748af23f

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    I have a grandson too, big chestnut with a blaze but sadly 4 white socks Maybe we should start a club!
    I'll join! My Secretariat grandson also has a big blaze & four socks, but he's a compact 15.3.
    --o0o--

Quote Originally Posted by blackstallion2 View Post
    We had a great time, despite the horrid weather! My friend took lots of photos with me and my entry, and of the winner, Iowa, of the Caroline Hunt.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=21748af23f
    Nice horses! I'd take any one of them!
    --o0o--