The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broodmare leases

Further to the sticky thread for broodmares.

Can you tell me all about leasing a broodmare. Costs or free for the lease itself. Documents needed eg. insurance, contracts, etc. Does a MO provide breeding sound verification, In-foal guarantees etc.?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Blazergoose; Mar. 21, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

Although I can't speak for everyone, I can't imagine a MO who would pay all the expenses for someone to lease their mare. By free lease, I have taken that to mean there are no fees to lease the mare. Insurance, maintenance, BSE's, etc., would be the responsibility of person leasing the mare.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

In my opinion, due to the economy still being so poor and the fact that breeders are giving broodmares away right now, I would not expect a Mare Owner to charge a lease fee for the use of their broodmare for the year...with the exception of it maybe being a high end, well known and top producing mare, then maybe I could see justification for a lease fee.

Normally, the person who leases the mare is in charge of all maintenance fees (farrier, vet, etc.) as well as the insurance premium.

In my opinion, a Mare Owner cannot give you an in-foal guarantee on the mare. What if you are using shipped semen and the vet is incompetent...and the mare isn't getting pregnant because of bad timing on the vets part? What if you are using unproven frozen semen...and the semen is the problem and the reason the mare is not getting in foal? What if the mare aborts? Likely not the fault of the Mare Owner (unless a pre-existing condition exists and is common for this particular mare). I would think a breeding soundness exam would be at the expense of the person wanting to lease the mare.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com