The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Muscle building supplement

I'm looking for opinions for the best muscle building supplements. I have a horse who is a pretty easy keeper, but doesn't seem to be developing as much muscle as he should. He also is one that is hard to get in condition, which I think could result from that he doesn't have enough muscle mass to support his body weight for the amount of work we are doing. I have a careful conditioning program for him, but I have been looking into augmenting his feed with a supplement to give him a bit more help. I have considered Vapco Fat Cat (oldie but goody) and the Smartpak Smart Muscle Mass. Does anyone have any favorites or ones that you have had particular success with? Thanks!

I put my boy on Lysine when I got him, and have had great results with adding the Lysine supp into a good diet with a good conditioning and training schedule.

ETA: it's inexpensive too
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

I've had good luck with Tri-Amino and a good diet (high fat and higer protien)

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...9&cm_vc=Search

My horse on extended stall rest actually retained a lot of his muscle ton and top line.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I really like Fat Cat for weight/muscle building together; I've never used it on an easy keeper though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmas Hot Brass View Post
    I put my boy on Lysine when I got him, and have had great results with adding the Lysine supp into a good diet with a good conditioning and training schedule.

ETA: it's inexpensive too
    How much do you give your horse daily? I'm still playing around with the supplements for one of my horses and I like this idea.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

This is all so confusing to me! :P What are the most important amino acids to have in a muscle building supplement? The Tri Amino summplement has Lysine, Methionine and Threonine. But the pure Lysine also gets great reviews. Anyone know the +/- of having a variety vs. just the one? Fat Cat has L-Lysine and DL-Methionine, and also has crude protein. I'm confused as to what is the ideal mix, if they are all needed or if it's overkill, etc.

Amino acids are the building blocks for mucsle. They are all needed IF they are lacking in your horse's diet. So the ideal mix depends on your individual circumstance.

Most commercial "complete" feeds have some. But it if your hay and pasture isn't the right quality, your horse may still be lacking.

My horses just were not looking as good and I was struggling to put muscle on them. A friend suggested the tri-amino and I saw a difference within a couple of weeks. I think if you don't see a difference---then your horse's diet is probably not lacking in them
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Fat Cat works well, Cavalor Muscle Build has great results but very expensive.

BornFreeNowExpensive is right. You should look at amino acids, as they are the foundation. They are generally much cheaper than other muscle/fat builders. Suggestions and daily dosage:

Lysine = 10g a day

L-Glutamine = 5g a day

I use this company: http://www.smartpowders.com/ProductD...ductCode=sp121

We have real hard keeper here, and have been trying out a new product at the recommendation of our vet. Product is called Kompeet, believe it is relatively new to the US. I've been very happy with the results thus far, weight gain, more energy, more productive beast.