The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default brenderup capacity for large horses

I was wondering how large of a horse can fit into a Brenderup Baron. I will be looking at a 17.1 hh 1300 lb horse this week and was wondering if it would fit into my Baron. The largest we have hauled is 16.2 hh and he goes in fine but with not a whole lot of room to spare. We would be hauling two horse's of this size. I think we will be fine but would like to hear from someone who has done this already, thanks.

I've hauled both my 17.2 hand warmbloods in my Baron. No problem.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Yes the Barons can handle it.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

You should see the size of horses over here in Germany! They are all H.U.G.E and everyone of course has a Brenderup-like trailer

How did you fit those horses in? I have a 16.3 TB and a 17.2 BWB, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how I will fit either of them into my Baron TC. My 16.1 hh TB just barely fits. Do you set the chest bar in a certain way, or how do you fit them, lengthwise? The 16.3 TB wears an 84 blanket, and the BWB, an 86. Thanks!

My 16.3hh Hanoverian fit in my Baron One without any special measures. He took an 84 blanket.

I had a 17.2 Hanoverian (84 blanket) in my Baron L SL Wednesday night. Length wise he was more than fine- room to take a full step forward/back. I was a tad worried about head room- but he did fine.

Can you please do me a favor, and measure the amount of space you have between the chest bar and the butt bar? Thanks!

My 17.2 size 87 blanket wearing draft cross fit although usually I preferred for him to ride alone when he was on it so e could have the whole thing and could ride diagonally. I'd either tie the divider over to one side or take it out entirely. He was ok with another horse it just made for a tighter fit.

It honestly depends on your horse's build. My 16 hh looong backed horse technically "fits" but not comfortably -- he stares at me with displeasure while resembling a sardine in a can. So it really is best to try the horse ON the trailer in question before you spend a bunch of money.

Is it ok to haul a horse in the Brenderup without a butt bar? Or do you need a 1-piece butt bar? Thanks!