The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IN Strangles vaccine question

The boarding barn where we keep 2 of our horses requires the IN strangles vaccine yearly. Our horses both received the vaccine in mid-November, when we moved them to this barn. The vet is coming out this week to give shots, etc. Is it okay to receive another dose of this vaccine now when they just had it 4 months ago?

Why not just tell the BO they had it last fall? Why do it again? IMHO it's a worthless vac anyway!

As long as they had the two applications at the start (you have to give two doses spaced x weeks apart initially -- I can't remember what the "x" is, however -- maybe 2 to 4 weeks??), after that, it is supposed to be good for a year. If your barn requires the vaccine annually, sounds like you are fine and can wait until they are really due to have it given again.

You didn't ask for an argument about whether the vaccine is "worthless" or not, so won't get into that. Worthless or not, if the barn requires it, you have to do it or move. Arguing the value of it won't help with that!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    As long as they had the two applications at the start (you have to give two doses spaced x weeks apart initially -- I can't remember what the "x" is, however -- maybe 2 to 4 weeks??), after that, it is supposed to be good for a year. If your barn requires the vaccine annually, sounds like you are fine and can wait until they are really due to have it given again.

You didn't ask for an argument about whether the vaccine is "worthless" or not, so won't get into that. Worthless or not, if the barn requires it, you have to do it or move. Arguing the value of it won't help with that!
    Thank you. You're right, I wouldn't give it if it weren't required, but that is niether here nor there, it is required, end of story.

Our older gelding has received the vaccine in the past, but then didn't get it for a few years, so the dose this fall was his first in 5+ years. Our young gelding, I don't think had ever received this vaccine before. The vet said nothing about needing a booster. . . ???

Why would you give it again if they had it in Nov? You said yearly?

Wait til the fall to reboost your horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Samigator View Post
    Our older gelding has received the vaccine in the past, but then didn't get it for a few years, so the dose this fall was his first in 5+ years. Our young gelding, I don't think had ever received this vaccine before. The vet said nothing about needing a booster. . . ???
    Well, I guess you could ask your vet about it to be sure. I know that ours tells me that the first time they get it, you need to do two spaced a certain time period apart (again, can't recall the time frame, but it is a few weeks). I would think that if you skip a few years, might have to do the two-thing again.

But then again, that depends on whether you are trying to vaccinate and have it be effective, or merely check off the box saying you've given it to appease the boarding barn and its requirements!

Yes, the intial series in a previously un-vaccinated (for strangles) horse is a series of two vaccines. It is yearly thereafter.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

My mare got IN in November and got another dose 2 weeks ago for spring shots. She's fine.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

I guess the reason that I'm thinking about doing it again now is that this is when the rest of the barn has the vet out to do it, so it's probably easiest for us all to stay on the same time schedule. And if I don't have to have a separate call charge in the fall for my guys to get it, that would be great. When our other horse was getting it a few years ago, it was always something we did in the spring.

You don't give an IN vaccination at the same time as the IM shots anyway. So kind of a moot point about doing it at the barn shot clinic, because it can't, or at least shouldn't, happen then.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

hmmm, I've never heard this either- see, I'm so out of the loop because I never have used this vaccine before. . .

The vet clinic has ALWAYS given the IN strangles at the same time as the rest of the spring shots- at every barn I've boarded at. . .

True, IN is never given at the same time as other vacs. Seems strange they require it yearly when it is most effective given every 6 months!

Ditto Sami - we have also done all shots at the same time, including IN strangles with no issues.

The only restriction on doing IM and IN the same day is to do the IN after all the IM are done. You don't want to take a chance of contaminating the IM injection site with the IN stuff.

When we do a shot day at the barn, we go along and do all the IM stuff first, then go back and do the strangles IN on those getting it.