The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.

. . . Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means . . . Peter Jackson is finally in NZ to begin filming the long awaited prequel movies to LOTR.

Ian McKellen will return as Gandalf
    Andy Serkis as Gollum
    Cate Blanchett as Gadadriel
    Elijah Wood as Frodo

new set of actors (naturall)
    but the same merry band of production people as LOTR

The TWO films are projected to inject 1 BILLION dollars to the NZ economy,production company receiving about 100 million in tax breaks and incentives from the NZ government. (nice chunk of change for the Kiwis)

not sure I am crazy about the 3D plans..but time will tell.

*golf clap*

let's hope there is no actual Hobbit curse

Yay! I think LOTR are the only movies I liked better than the books. hope theHobbit is as good

yay!!
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

While I can't say I liked the LoTR movies BETTER than the books, I do love them dearly. I am SO happy PJ is doing The Hobbit, though I worry it will end up being too "adult" - it is, after all, a children's story.

But I had faith in PJ while we waited with bated breath during LoTR production, so I have faith in him now!
    Proud member of the EDRF

So...why is Frodo there? He wasn't even a twinkle in the eye of his daddy during the Hobbit...LOL!!

Oh, maybe he has a cameo during a beginning or ending piece? Ah well.

I heard this news earlier and it made my day. I love The Hobbit. Especially because it focuses quite a lot on the Dwarven people. I love Dwarves.

Yay!

The second Hobbit movie is supposed to connect it up with LoTR, so Frodo could appear in that context.

Also, there has been speculation (not sure if it's real or just fans talking) that it will begin with Frodo reading the Red Book, which would make sense, too.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I love "The Hobbit"--my dad used to read it to me at bedtime. So excited. I wonder who they'll have play Bilbo...

Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo.

I'm really looking forward to the movie, although I have no idea why Legolas is stated to be in it... but it's all right, because David Tennant will be an elf!

This made my day! I love, love, love The Hobbit and LoTRs. I was happily surprised by the movies and was worried that someone else was going to do The Hobbit and not do it as well.

My 11 year old is reading The Hobbit right now and really enjoying it. Thank God - I would have hated to have to rehome her.

He did a great job with LOTR. Can't wait to see The Hobbit.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibbler View Post
    Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo.

I'm really looking forward to the movie, although I have no idea why Legolas is stated to be in it... but it's all right, because David Tennant will be an elf!
    Legolas is going to be in it because he was present for the events in the story as his father was the Elf King in the Hobbit and he fought in the battle which will be depicted in the movies. He simply wasn't made known until the Lord Of The Rings was written.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Oooh, I forgot about Martin Freeman--I did hear that before.

Can't wait to see Smaug...

Can't wait- The Hobbit is by far my most favorite-est of the Tolkien books.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Woot! One of my all time favorite children's books. I love LOTR in both book and movie form, so looking forward to this!

Can't wait!!! I absolutely love The Hobbit, read it more times than I can count. This is making me want to read it again, it's been awhile, lol. I like the LOTR movies, only made it through one book, and considered that an accomplishment. I'll probably try and read the other ones eventually, but I couldn't get into them.