The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Iffy neighborhood, great school

Would you move into a somewhat questionable neighborhood in order to get your kids into a great school?

Back story- My daughter has cerebral palsy. One of our local public schools has a program that would be excellent for her. The problem is that the school is at 90% capacity and closed to out of area students. We live, literally, on the wrong side of the street to get into this school. We are trying to live on the cheap so we can get out of debt and save for a house. Renting a home in this school's zone would cost us $1300 per month or we could rent a somewhat crappy apartment in the area for around $850. I believe the apartments to be safe but older, run down, and noisy.

Hopefully I can get some replies before the lock!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

If it would really help, then yes. Your daughters life may be much better for it. Good luck!

Depends upon the circumstances. Is it cheaper than your current situation? Enough to offset the difference between the house and the apartment? Is the neighborhood safe enough for you and your daughter to walk alone in comfortably?

Sort of depends how questionable questionable is, for me. I would prefer to get my kid into the best school possible for her situation, but I would worry if it was pricier AND unsafe. If, however, it's moving a few blocks and you can afford it? DO!

As far as the house v. apartment, it's about a $5,400 difference annually. Look at your budget and ask if that amount is worth it.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I believe the apartments to be safe but older, run down, and noisy!
    "Older, run down and noisy" sure doesn't sound like my description of safe.

How many Title 7 renters?

How many illegals?

How much local "garbage" out wandering the street at 2:00 AM looking to get into trouble?

Crime statistics? Who/what/where?

The cost may be way too much to get into the school.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Depends upon the circumstances. Is it cheaper than your current situation? Enough to offset the difference between the house and the apartment? Is the neighborhood safe enough for you and your daughter to walk alone in comfortably?

Sort of depends how questionable questionable is, for me. I would prefer to get my kid into the best school possible for her situation, but I would worry if it was pricier AND unsafe. If, however, it's moving a few blocks and you can afford it? DO!

As far as the house v. apartment, it's about a $5,400 difference annually. Look at your budget and ask if that amount is worth it.
    When you point out the annual difference an apartment sounds more appealing!

We currently pay $700 for a 2 bedroom apartment. If we were to renew, rent would likely go to around $840 based on current prices. The area we need to move to has a pretty limited selection of apartments and most have pet restrictions. The one we would likely move to is $850 for a 3 bedroom. A similarly sized house would cost upwards of $1300 per month. We can afford the $1300, but we are trying to get our debts and my school loans paid off so we can start saving to buy a house, so we want to live as cheap as possible.

I don't think the apartments are unsafe, but the area may be a little below the standards I am used to. The buildings are former military housing, built in the 1960s.

Thanks for the input. I hate the idea of going through the hassle of moving just to relocate a half mile, but if it gets my kids into the school we want I suppose it would be well worth it.

Here is a link to the apartments. The pictures actually make it look appealing, but not all of the units are are nicely finished as the model in the photos.
    http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...e-Dunes/11925/
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett