The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else in Tax hell?

Who else is slogging their way thru taxes, struggling with all the confusing financial statements and such? Its definitely overwhelming! And without turbotax it would be too awful to contemplate.

Well, it would have been easier if Schwab (whom I normally love dealing with) didn't screw up on sending my 1099-INT/DIV. And if TaxAct were a little more clear on where 1099-Bs go.

Still, I could be my brother, whose taxes took a week. He swears he is never buying a partnership again.

What is hellish is how much I pay in taxes, property, income, state, sales, car, utilities and on top of it the state and gov workers want more or they will throw a union backed tantrum because they feel that people making less on average than them should work even harder because they have their hand out.

If I were king I would fire 'all' government employees bring the military back from the wars and replace the Gov workers with the military. Uncle Ronnie did it with th Air traffic controllers. I think it is time for a do-over.

Actually, the worst thing is to efile your taxes (and because of where I live now I do the Feds and 2 states), and then you get something in the mail that affects all three of them, and you have to do a corrected (or 1040-X as I call it the Boo Boo form). I had to do that one year, and it's really bad. I have a checklist and don't do my online and efile until they all come in. It was worse before Turbo Tax.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Our taxes are not hard to do (but I used to do them for a living)...it's the $5,000+ check we have to write every year that causes the stress. And, no, I haven't started them yet...not ready to think about it yet!

Mr. IF and I should be getting money back but I have not sat down to deal with them. I am just a lazy procrastinator. Thank goodness for TurboTax even though it enables the procrastination.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

I am. I should have everything up to snuff this week and tell the CPA to go to town.

And then tell me how many pounds of flesh the IRS wants. ;_;
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

When somebody who makes $32k a year owes $3,000 and Exxon pays five dollars total, there is something wrong.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

If you use TurboTax, be aware they are raising their prices at the end of the month. I have an account so got a notice in my E-mail.

We are in tax hell and actually hooked up with our CPA this year. There were just too many one-off situations last year that made them too complicated to me. I'm afraid to hear what we actually owe.

Nope not me. I send it all off to a friend who is a CPA and all I have to do is review and sign on the dotted line.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

That is why CPAs exist.
    They go to school for what they do and to continuing education seminars to stay up on it and recertificate.

We used to do our own taxes, until it became so complicated we tried a CPA and never looked back.
    We keep books, they look them over, prepare it all as it should be, will stand behind what we have if there is an audit and they don't charge that much at all for their work.
    All winners.

Just be sure to get a very competent one that is familiar with your business, just as you would vet a trainer for any horse you needed trained.

I used to work for Intuit and did tech support for both TurboTax and their professional tax prep program ProSeries.

I quit in 2004.

I cannot tell a lie, every time there is an absolutely wonderful day in Jan or Feb or March I think "OMG I am sooooo glad I'm not doing that anymore."

And no, I haven't even started mine yet
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've finished the federal 1065 for the business and the K1's have been issued to me and DH. Like most businesses it doesn't pay taxes - any profit or loss flows through to us, and we pay the taxes on our individual return. I still have to do the state return for the biz, but it's easy.

Our personal federal and state tax returns are also done, but since we owe they won't get filed for a few more weeks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is why CPAs exist.
    They go to school for what they do and to continuing education seminars to stay up on it and recertificate.

We used to do our own taxes, until it became so complicated we tried a CPA and never looked back.
    We keep books, they look them over, prepare it all as it should be, will stand behind what we have if there is an audit and they don't charge that much at all for their work.
    All winners.

Just be sure to get a very competent one that is familiar with your business, just as you would vet a trainer for any horse you needed trained.
    Yep! We pay a CPA to do what they are educated to do - MY CRAZY TAXES!! I have no desire to do these on my own, I have no training to do them on my own, and no canned program could POSSIBLY do what a trained and educated HUMAN can do for me!! I heart our CPA! I see him quarterly for my stuff and yearly for the "big one". He knows what he is doing and because of him, I rest easier than I would without him.

All that said, I still hate having to deal with getting that mess together. We did this two Monday's ago, and I am so glad it's over!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I am using TurboTax this year and it has done the job. Now next year I will need a CPAs help due to a horse donation to a theraputic riding program.

We are due to pay a whooping 31.00 this year. Hubby was complaining, and I gave him the buzz off look.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

My CPA just e-mailed me my return a few days ago. I haven't printed it out yet because it usually is over an inch thick! I pay a lot to my CPA but don't begrudge a penny of it (well, maybe a penny...)

Did a prelim run-through on TurboTax a few weeks ago...we owe ~$500. Now, my wife and I make a combined total of about $48k. It's not gonna break the bank, but damn. I don't know what changed, we only owed $30 last year. Granted, it's better to owe than get a huge refund but still.

Oh yeah tax hell.. TG for Jackson Hewett..

Dh and I recieved a letter from the IRS this year. Apparently we owe from 2003 just over 1000$. Apparently they sent us a letter ( that we never recieved) back in 2005 informing us of this and then WE pparently ignored it and did not pay. Now dh and I filed evey year after 2005 like good drones. and some years recieved nice refunds others not so nice. At any time over hte last 6 years they could have taken what we owed from what we were going ot get. But they chose not to and not to send any more letters. Their excuse " Well mr BK was deployed to a war zone." this was news to us.. He was deployed state side for 2 year but not yet to a war zone. So while he was deplyed to a war zone they chose not to send notices.
    Sooo after we filed dh called the IRS. They insisted that even though they failed to remove from refund, and failed to send out notices WE are responsible for the intrest and fines. :0 as though it was our fault...

While dh was in Iowa ( not our home state btw) for national guard stuff this past Jan when the notice arrived. I send an hr or so on the phone going up the laddeer to finally talk to someone who had a brain.. We both presented our arguments nd the hows and whys and SHe finally said.. You're right it is our fault. Looking back on your returns nowhere did it ever say war zone etc. ANd that we never sent out more notices after the first one. So it is our fault. What you have to do is.. and then proceeded to tell me what we have to do. Whic hincluded fieling like normal, then a day or so after fieling call them back and talk to someone in a department to 1) get war zone deployement removed from dh's record, then another department to see about not having o pay the fines an intrest etc.. BUT dh had to make that call not me. Dh because he is hte one whos 'record' was screwed up not mine.

So we did and dh called the monday after ( we filed on a friday) and spent close to 2 hrs on hte phone before he was able to get the same 'agreement' that I was able to get that we would not be responsible for fines and intrest because their failure to send notices out and it did not take a rocket scientist to se that dh was not deployed in a war zone for the last 8yrs an tha the 2 he was was state side. So that done we went to our state site to see the progress of our state return. AARRRGGGG the IRS has tagged it to pay our debt to them. So dh will have to spend time on the phone again today with IRS to get that removed.

We are talking over 700$ in fines and intrest since what ever year they decided to begin charging his. And yeah I wa at fault for hte 1k we owe as I recieve a form in hte mail from a substized houseing rent I was recieving the year in question. I had no clue what it was I called them and was told oh that is just for your record. File in your file system it or throw it away it make no differance. So I did.. If I had been told it was to be used on our taxes I would have. No it as not a 1099 it was something else thatI do not even remember. A 1099 I know butt his one it was dh.. It did not even look like a tax/ income form..
    Friend of bar .ka

I used to do my taxes, actually looked forward to it because we always got a refund, but once i had kids and a mortgage, I sent it right to a CPA. And after the first one i had redid my taxes for the previous two years and got me lots of $$ back, I never went back to Turbo Tax. My accountant costs me $150 to do my returns and it's absolutely 100% worth it in every way.