The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eye Colors

I have strange eyes. They change colors sometimes, and when they do, it might take a long time. I have noticed, and been told, that my eyes can be up to three/four colors at one time.

The colors are not splotches, but are rings around my pupil. Such as the outermost point of my iris is (usually) definitely blue. The next ring is a green, with a yellow color seeping into a brown that's right around my pupil.
    I was just wondering, what is this caused by? Some sort of strange mutation in my genes?

I don't know, but you just described my eyes too! I doubt it's a "fresh" mutation, probably just a color that requires specific genes to be in the right place at the right time.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have eyes that may match that description- sometimes people will swear they're blue, sometimes they'll say i have green eyes, and other people may just call them, "whoa, weird" especially because of the green + yellow color in the middle. Haven't a clue why it is though! I haven't met one half of my biological family, but on the maternal side I am the only one with eyes like this.

What I *do* love is the look of having two different colored eyes. I think that would be really neat!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

My oldest sister has something similar. Here's are green around the pupil and halfway out to the iris they;re blue. But neither color bleeds into the other, a very defined line and both colors are very bright.

If she wears green then from a distance of 5' or so her eyes look grass green...vice versa if she wears blue. But up close there's 2 definite separate colors.

The rest of our family has different shades of blue from dark to very pale, but no other green.

One niece has very pale grey, almost silver eyes. Kinda cool.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yeah, and no one else in my family has eyes like this. I'm the only person in my immediate family (that I know, didn't know my one grandfather) that even has green eyes. It's either an ice blue color, or just brown.

It's just weird, and I've never met anyone else with eyes like this at all.

Neither of my parents, no my siblings, nor any aunts, uncles or cousins have eyes that change colors, but mine do. I go from dark, dark brown, to a lighter brown with gold flecks, to a very emerald green with lighter green & gold flecks.

None of my kids eyes do this either. My husband will often bend down & look closer at them, get the color, nod his head, and walk away...lol! HA!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
    "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

My eyes are blue with a brown ring around the pupil. http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...dNotTo/eye.jpg When HS biology class learned about the genetics of eye color, the teacher said that I had inherited one gene for brown eyes and one for blue. Rather than the brown being dominant over the blue, the genes "twisted" and both are expressed.

Eye color genetics are much more complex than just blue, grey, green, and brown. There is complex mixing of the genes, some of which are dominant, some recessive and some doubley recessive. You may end up with one parent's eye color, a combination of both parents, a throwback to a grandparent or great-grandparent or your very own unique mix. Eye color also changes (fades) with age, especially in lighter colored eyes so your parent's eye color may be different than it was at your age. Mine have faded from green to a silvery green. In show photos I kind of look like I have no irises.

just a PSA:
    it's quite difficult to get a proper, up close photo of one's eyes with a camera phone with ridiculous flash WITHOUT blinding oneself.
    Do not try this at home.

*stumbles away, arms in front of her*
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

LOL, I found that out a couple Halloweens ago when I tried to get a photo of my attempt at painting my face like a jack-o-lantern:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...een2008001.jpg

I was pretty blind after that shot! (don't mind my hair, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it )

My eyes are all one color though.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

A number of years ago I was having an equine chiropractor work on one of my geldings, and she did both human and equine iridoligy. I'm not sure I spelled that right. But anywhat, she looked at my eyes and gave me a rundown on different health issues and whatnot -- and she was DEAD ON. I'd never told her ANY thing about my health. It was really interesting, and the different colors, spots, all apparently meant something. It was really fascinating. I would have NEVER (in a hundred million years) have given that sort of thing any credence if she hadn't just laid it all out there like that.

Hmmm i wonder where the 'blue' part may come from, MistyBlue?? WOW those are blue eyes! So cool!
    Your shep in the background looks a lil like... "She is sooooo gonna blind herself doing that..."
    hahaha!!
    (he does listen!)

Dad....your eyes are really cool looking....and Misty...No wonder your name is Misty BLUE....lovely....

Mine are blue...a medium blue my grandpas were so crystal clear blue....Super pretty...

SxO...you have a pic???

SH

My grandmother had solid yellow eyes, cat eyes. Weird, weird, weird.

OP, you described my eyes, too. For simplicity, I claim green eyes. Sometimes they appear more blue, other times more hazel. Both my parents have similar eyes. Both my grandfathers had very light, crystal blue eyes. Both grandmothers had brown/hazel. Somehow that mix created the multi-colored eyes. Brother has same but slightly more blue. Incidentally, he and his brown-eyed wife have two daughters with very light, crystal blue eyes. Kinda cool how the genes come through.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I have always been told I have Hazel eyes. They change colors as well. As I have gotten older, they stay more green most of the time.

Both of my parents have brown eyes. My dad actually has red hair and brown eye which I think is pretty cool and not seen much. My grandfather has blue eyes. I had blue eyes until I was 1 years old then they changed much to his dismay.

I think this photo of my eyes is cool: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/JLM179/eyes.jpg

If I wear blue, they are bluer. If I wear green, they are greener.

I was born with brown eyes, and as I've gotten older, they've changed into hazel/green.

I also have a birthmark on one eye in the iris. I think it's awesome.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Color-changing eyes? You must be a witch.

My eyes are blue - well, most of the time - sometimes they are aqua, and sometimes grey, and sometimes green. Apparently, they change with my MOOD. This sucks. I cannot hide my feelings no matter how hard I try.

Apparently, when I am angry, they become bright turquoise. I learned this in family court when an attorney was trying to remove a kid from her family and I was trying to keep that from happening. The ATTORNEY asked "Ms ____, why are your eyes bright blue all of a sudden?" What??!! How inappropriate and weird! He asked me out. I said no. I asked him what color my eyes were then - he said very dark gray. Huh.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    Color-changing eyes? You must be a witch.

I prefer the words "wench and bitch". They work better for me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields