The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think I want a breast reduction....

Anyone with any experiences to share?

I'm 5 feet tall and I weigh 125. My bra is a 36DD. My breasts totally hamper any riding I want to do. I can't run, either, not without giving myself a black eye! It's soooooo uncomfortable! I feel like I'm being pulled down all the time, my chest and shoulders hurt every day. It's just miserable.

My worry is that the skin on these puppies is "wrong" for surgery. It seems so thin. I'm in my late 30's. With weight lost last year, it seems that they are "longer" than they once were. My cup size didn't change with weight loss, though my band size did.

I wonder if I also need a lift? I hate looking/feeling saggy and old when I'm really not!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I cant speak from personal experience, but every single friend I have ever known that did it, wishes they had done it sooner....fwiw
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I havent done it either, but agree with mroads; everyone I know who has had it loves it.

The only negative I've heard about it is that post-op is really painful. But I always think, "Well, what did you expect? Of course it will hurt. It is SURGERY after all..."

I actually am planning on reducing mine as well. Just waiting to graduate and become gainfully employed again.

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF

I was wearing a 42 DD but probably whould have been wearing a J or something like that.

My surgeon removed 3 LBS. The surgery is not particularly painful and I was in the hospital for less than 24 hours.

A week after the surgery I had to hike a mile between the oversized vehicle parking lot and his office and I realized I felt like SKIPPING I felt so light and GREAT!

It has inspired me to lose 25 more lbs. I feel like moving for a change.

The 6 week ban on lifting (and riding) is annoying but so worth it when it's over. It was strange having to learn not to hunch.

The surgeon said he has never known anyone to regret it.

They take before and 6 month after pictures. I saw the before pictures and could not believe how horrible they were.

BTW, I've still got plenty
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by oharabear View Post
    I havent done it either, but agree with mroads; everyone I know who has had it loves it.

The only negative I've heard about it is that post-op is really painful. But I always think, "Well, what did you expect? Of course it will hurt. It is SURGERY after all..."

I actually am planning on reducing mine as well. Just waiting to graduate and become gainfully employed again.
    Actually I didn't think it was painfull. All I needed was codine.

But then I've had 3 C sections, a hysterectomy and screws and a plate for a broken ankle. The reduction was really no big deal
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

A couple of friends have had this, and they both couldn't believe they waited that long to have it done. Both are happy with the results, and have much fewer health problems than before (back and shoulder pain etc). Usually health insurance will pay for this, and you might have to pay the difference if you get a breast lift at the same time.

Make sure you get a good surgeon who has performed a lot of these procedures. They should always have an album of before and after pictures too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I honestly don't think I'd be here if I hadn't had it done. I had a HUGE breasts and I'm in a wheelchair, so hauling those around was doing severe nerve damage. It is not the easiest surgery to go through but it is well worth it. I had mine 20 years ago and I have never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    I honestly don't think I'd be here if I hadn't had it done. I had a HUGE breasts and I'm in a wheelchair, so hauling those around was doing severe nerve damage. It is not the easiest surgery to go through but it is well worth it. I had mine 20 years ago and I have never regretted it.
    I suspect things have changed. SIL had it done about that time frame and spent 3 days in the hospital on morphine. I was out in less than 24 hours. I had one dose of fentanyl in the recovery room and just percoset after that
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I did it when I was 50 and have not regretted it at all. I know what you mean about the skin. Mine is so pale and thin that I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it was fine. It was outpatient surgery, and I went home after a couple of hours in recovery. I took pain meds for a day or two before switching to Tylenol.

There are possible complications and you should know ahead of time what they could be, but most people recover well.

Had mine done in 1999. Best decision I ever made.

I was able to successfully nurse three children afterwards too!!

Nothing like cantering without the girls bouncing around.

Had one in 1980, best decision ever. Lost 8 lbs. in one day If you are having the back pain, dents/cuts to the shoulders from your bra, insurance should cover the whole thing.

Find a good surgeon, and view the before and after photos of his work. They should be able to reduce/lift take care of everything at once, by the way they remove the tissue, etc. They will also suggest a good "after" size for your frame and body type.

Good luck to you.

Sister's best friend had it done and she's super happy with it. She had already started having back pain in late teens/early 20s. She says she's glad she got it done before meeting her hubby though, because that would just be mean
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I had mine in 2007. I am 5'10", 125 lbs and was a 34H!! I went to a 34C (small C) and it was the best thing I have ever done. My procedure was outpatient - in at 7:30am, home by 1pm and I had very little pain. I took one prescription pain pill the day of and nothing but Advil after that. I healed so quickly that I was cleared to ride (while wearing very supportive sports bras) at 3 weeks post-op.

Definitely research the surgeons and find a good one. Mine was amazing - did two friends before me and I have recommended him to countless people since mine! Good luck!

I don't comment often (as you can see) but in this case I wanted to send encouragement and another "go for it" story - I remember, as a little girl, wondering why my mom had dents in her shoulders. I cannot even imagine the pain, the strain on her back. She had breast reduction surgery roughly 25 years ago and she still says it is one of the best decisions she ever made. ZERO regrets, and she even dealt with some post-op complications. Best wishes to you - my mom would say, go for it!

Maybe this should be a new topic...

But, for those of you who've had the reduction, were there any permanent negative side effects? I had heard that there can be a loss of sensation, which has always held me back from pursuing the surgery.

My friend had it done when we were roomies. She was SO much happier! She was having back problems and, like you, was not proportioned 'evenly'.

It was somewhate painful and she had to lay low for a bit (I remember our first grocery shopping trip post-surgery - every slight bump was horrendous for her).

She did not experience any loss of sensation and she noted the scars healed well. Her biggest complaint was that they used to be even and after the surgery they were not. They took about 2.5 lbs out from each side. (Since I am a bit small for my size, she joked that we should go in together, take it out of her and add some fluff to my chest....).

Everyone that I have ever talked to said it is the best thing they ever did, and can't believe they waited as long as they did. Myself included. I went from a 36J/K to a 36C. The only thing I wish I had done was go smaller.

I was warned that the sensation level is very unpredictable, that one person may lose pretty much all of it, some don't really lose any. I don't feel like I lost much, but mine were not particularly sensitive before the surgery, so it's all relative, I guess.

This may delve into TMI territory, but I would think that I would be the baseline for sensitivity loss, as my reduction was substantial enough that the surgeon had to do a FNG (google it if you really want to know).

The only thing that I would have fixed now if I really cared to is a scar revision on the sternum. That is the only place I really find the scars to be visible enough to care about, and I have never had a single person have the nerve to ask about it. I was also told by the surgeon that is often the place that they need to revise as it is basically sitting on bone and can be a bitch to get to lay flat the first time.

I was super careful to follow the post op guidelines to a fault as I wanted the best possible result. That meant in my case no lifting over 5 pounds for a month, no riding for 6 weeks...

I just had it done DEc 15 2010. If they grew back I'd RUN to get it done again. The surgeon I had was fantastic. The scars are flat and the only ones I can see are the ones below the boobs and under the armpits- about 2 inches on each side is still a red line. My nipples work just fine-stand up and say "hello" when it's cold or exciting. There is still a teeny bit of "sensation" for lack of a better word, over parts of the scars and part of the left nipple.Not a tingle or burn-just a different feeling. That is it. I only took Ibuprofen to help with the swelling-the pain was mostly non-existent. A few stabbing sensations the first couple days but they only lasted a few seconds and were gone. The torn rotator cuff beat this to death pain-wise. I rode after 2 months-the first time I sat the trot I started laughing and giggling and just was overjoyed! Some lady I didn't know was in the arena and I said I was sorry but this was the first sitting trot since my breast reduction and it felt awesome!! She got a good laugh out of it. It's been fantastic! EVerything finally came together insurance-wise and timewise so I just went ahead and did it! I had been packing them into a 34DD bra but they might have been bigger-that's the largest size I could find in a 34. Small rib cage but big heavy boobs- took off 3 lbs.

I was careful about lifting. The worst thing I had to do was drive our tractor with the snowblower on back to plow- 4 times in 2 days. Hubby was out of town. This was probably 6-7 weeks after the surgery. I was sore but fine.

I thought mine had thin delicate skin too but I think it was just stretched out skin and that got all cut off. They keep the top and side skin, move the nipples up to stare straight out and sew it up. I had the keyhole procedure. Cut around the nipples, straight down from the bottom center of the nipple and then off to the sides and in towards the middle. The scars are right along the bottom of the breasts. Can only see the ones on the sides a little bit. nothing is even close to my sternum. It was weird- the suture lines under the breasts were like they were rolled over and I thought it would be a mess. The Dr said they would flatten out and they did. Can barely feel them.
    The other scars are almost nonexistent and I'm assuming will fade even more.

no more after ride headaches- that's when it would get me the worst, no more sore top of the shoulders and between the shoulder blades. Woke up from the surgery and the pain between my soulder blades was gone- I thought just from the drugs but nope. IT"S GONE!! Crazy. I am just delighted. I love my new girls. They really look like the old ones, just tight and small!! Mine werenever this firm even when I was a teenager! I"m not flat- probably still a C but I have not bought a bra. Have the pullover kind that I never would have smashed one boob into before, and a zip up the front Champion sports bra that they wanted for after the surgery. Been meaning to go someplace and get fitted and get myself my first pretty bra but since I really don't need one...... just haven't gotten around to it!
    Sorry so long- can you tell I'm in love with my girls?

I had mine done about 7 years ago as an outpatient! I went in for 8am surgery and was home by noon. I was uncomfortable during the healing process, but rarely took any pain meds. Insurance covered pretty much the entire cost. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and wouldn't hesitate to do it all again!

Just make absolutely certain that whatever doctor you use, performs a LIFT in addition to a reduction. I've heard horror stories of women going in for a reduction, and waking up realizing that while they might be smaller, they were still hanging in the same place
    Cindy

Not personal experience, but my best friend and college roommate had them done our senior year- she says it's the best decision she ever made. She was 5'2 and an F cup- they took out 12 lbs in surgery and since then she's lost about 40 more (no dramatic lifestyle changes, except that now it doesn't hurt her to move around! She can run instead of walk etc). Hers wasn't an outpatient, she had about 4 weeks until she was really feeling herself again and able to move normally.

FWIW, her insurance company took one look at her "before" pictures and signed off on the whole procedure- guess they figured better to pay for it now than for all the back trouble she would continue to have in her life.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services