The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE! I LOFF MY GRIPPY KERRITS!! - Grippy breeches for showing XC - any advice?

UPDATE! I bought the Kerrits Sit Tight Supreme in black, and I love them! Fit like skin, grip like glue, sound like a whoopie cushion! So last nite I washed them - they're hanging to dry. Haven't tried the Sporty spray yet. Thanks so much to all of you! That was fast!

Original post:
    I'm about to ride my very first cross country course at a fun day in MD on 4/3. I'm new to eventing, have ridden h/j forever, have owned, started & shown about 20 horses, but haven't ridden a lot (or shown) in the last 7-8 yrs. My horse is a tall 5 yr old TB I found and started a year and a half ago, green o/f, but gaining confidence. I've already gotten some really good advice from COTH Eventing Forum riders about starting eventing...so I'm back for more!

As I'm very eager to stay on top of my horse as I persuade him to go over scary, menacing 2 ft jumps, and as he is quite likely to catapult over the first couple, I'd love some advice about "grippy" breeches! I am 56, NOT skinny, getting back in shape after a wet, snowy S. Jersey winter, AND I'm short!

What have you found that works best, but isn't too pricey? Are full seat the way to go? Any new synthetic SuperGrip stuff used for knee or full seat portions of the breeches?

Any feedback that will assist me to stay on the horse, even better, in the saddle on the horse, will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Last edited by afox2332; Mar. 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: solution found!

Saddle Tight. Much cheaper and sticker than a fancy new pair of breeches. HAVE FUN!!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Anything from Kerrits! I'm serious. Grippiest. Pants. Ever. And they won't break at bank... I think all styles are under $130 and they're all fullseats. The fabric they use for the grip patches is this man made stuff that grips great, is durable, and you can wash them normally. It sticks to the saddle without making you feel like you're literally glued to it... just secure enough.

I recommend washing them before wearing them for the first time because the grippy stuff will make Whoopie cushion sounds the first time out without it. Personal experience talking there. XD
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

I have to agree with the Kerrits! I got my first pair of Sit Tites from Kerrits from TOTD in the fall and I LOFF them! Very grippy and I like the way they look too. I'm short and round myself. I have the tan breeches with the black grippy, even received compliments on them.
    Grab mane and kick on!

Definitly the saddle tight, that stuff works! And good full seats.

Kerrits Sit Tites of you're on more of a budget, but the FITS breeches are really nice (and pricey). They do have an extended patch (base of seat to knee) without the funny "monkey-butt patch" full seats. The perforated deerskin is quite grippy.

The sticky spray in the orange can (something German...) is better if you have to ride in the cold, Saddl-Tite doesn't apply well in the cold. Also great for gloves when your horse gets sweaty and reins get slick.
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

The stuff in the orange can is called Sporty Haft Spray and I will not go onto the xc course without it. IMO it's MUCH better than saddl-tite and since it's in a bright orange can, I can find it in about 2 seconds in my trunk where with my Saddle-tite, I had to basically tear my trunk apart.

KERRITS!!! I have 2 pair - one for the winter & one for the summer. Tack of the day has had them up a number of times for much less than the listed tack store price.
    Some times the saddle tight can be a pain to clean completely off your saddle - depending on how soon after your ride you clean your tack

Sporty haft spray in the orange can! Much cheaper than a new pair of breeches and will help you stay in the saddle! Also I recommend a saddle hand hold (this goes by many names!) if you think you are going to be sproinged out of the saddle over scary new jumps (I just love greenies

"Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

combo of Kerrits and Sporty Haft spray! I have the Kerrits Cargo tights, which they don't make anymore, but have that same super grippy full seat. They have literally saved my butt a couple times on the XC course. Sport Haft spray is for your saddle and lower leg. Have fun!

I like the Tropical Rider extended patch breeches, as well as FITS. Tropical Rider often has stuff on sale on their website at very reasonable prices.

I have the Kerrits "Sit Tight and Warm" winter breeches. The problem that I had with them was that they are so sticky that I would be stuck to the front seat of my car. They definitely have enough stick to them!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default Gaseous First Impression

I recommend washing them before wearing them for the first time because the grippy stuff will make Whoopie cushion sounds the first time out without it. Personal experience talking there. by Katie+Tru
    Thank you, for all the advice. The above is so not the image I'd like to leave with people on my first time out, particularly because, though I probably won't know anybody at all, I will hopefully see them again! I will definitely wash the breeches first!

The Sporty stuff sounds perfect. I have friends who swear by the Sadl-Tite, but I never found it made a big difference.

I'm used to getting to school the fences first (we've done 2 baby green hunter shows in Dec and last month), but I gather that doesn't happen with eventing! I'm trying to take advantage of EVERY benefit available to me - because (with my boy) at least the first few obstables will be suspect. He goes over the first time, but it may not be pretty.

Do you have to wear white or beige breeches to show cross country? I noticed some of these don't come in beige (Kerrits Sit Tite) or do come in beige, but with black patches (Sit Tite Supreme). Are they just for schooling? If I got the beige with black griptek can I show xc and dressage and stadium (beg nov or unrec!) without being penalized? Or even looked at funny?

FYI: That griptek material - I bet it's the same as something I ordered a yard of (http://www.ahh.biz/products/rubberiz...in_stretch.htm) when I needed to sew something grippy onto some fabric chaps. It is wonderful, without being sticky. The stuff just came in black. I plan to sew an oval onto my half chaps, too. Lots left over!

Thank you so much! Please let me know about the breeches in the different phases, and I will order right away!

Default Word to the Wise

If you get the spray can stuff, be sure to wear your glasses and read the label. I went for the orange can in my tack shop, got home, was about to spray it on my saddle and something about the label didn't look *quite* the same as my old orange label can...turns out I had purchased the same-maker-same-label can of spray for your boots, to make them slip on more easily. The stuff is slippery-like-Armour-All!!!
    I prefer Saddle Tight bc it stays on longer and sticks in the rain. Great on reins, too.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

The Sporty Haft spray is way stickier than Saddle-Tight. It's also easier to get off your tack and easier to apply.

I tried my old kerrits Sit Tights yesterday at an HT and actually found it TOO sticky in combination with my sticky saddle - I couldn't adjust my seat easily. Also, be aware that the full seat part of those breeches aren't very breathable - you will really sweat in those things. They do stick, though.

I find that the FITS breeches are the best for stick and breathability, but they ARE costly. Good luck with your xc schooling!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by afox2332 View Post
    Thank you, for all the advice. The above is so not the image I'd like to leave with people on my first time out, particularly because, though I probably won't know anybody at all, I will hopefully see them again! I will definitely wash the breeches first!

The Sporty stuff sounds perfect. I have friends who swear by the Sadl-Tite, but I never found it made a big difference.

I'm used to getting to school the fences first (we've done 2 baby green hunter shows in Dec and last month), but I gather that doesn't happen with eventing! I'm trying to take advantage of EVERY benefit available to me - because (with my boy) at least the first few obstables will be suspect. He goes over the first time, but it may not be pretty.

Do you have to wear white or beige breeches to show cross country? I noticed some of these don't come in beige (Kerrits Sit Tite) or do come in beige, but with black patches (Sit Tite Supreme). Are they just for schooling? If I got the beige with black griptek can I show xc and dressage and stadium (beg nov or unrec!) without being penalized? Or even looked at funny?
    Definitely! Beige with black seat is more than acceptable, even up to Training or Prelim. I have a friend who competes 1* and rides dressage in white Kerrits with a black seat. You should be just fine for BN

Ahh, thank you, everyone!!

Since it sounds like the beige/black combo is acceptable I will go with that, and also the price is better than the FITS - just can't justify spending $$ like that until I am SURE I will be an eventer! Even then...

How did I never hear of the Sporty Haft-Spray?? All these years on green horses (sigh) without it, but at least here it is when I am older and creakier and need it the most! And now young TB has spring fever - I'll have it sent FedEx overnight!

Again, thanks! Anymore suggestions, feel FREE to add them on.

Default GOT THEM!

I found exactly what I needed - the Kerrits Sit Tight Supreme, and they feel great to ride in. They don't sound so great...but I washed them last nite and they are hanging to dry right now!
    Also got the Sporty spray, will try today on boots. Thanks everyone!

Thank you for this thread!!! Wonderful advice..now on to buy my "whoopy cushion" Kerrits tights too !!!

Glad you've converted.

I love. LOVE. LOOOOVE. mine. Perfect for *effectively* riding the big giant 17.3h amped up TB in a crowded warmup! Just bought a tan pair to go with the whites I already had, and will be adding to my collection as I find them on sale.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson