The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm a fish out of water!

I've started this thread multiple times and backed off.

No alters needed. This is straight-up, honest, and to the point.

For reasons that would please others, I searched for and eventually accepted a position at a medical practice as a medical secretary/transcriber. In short order, I was promoted to "team leader" for the Ortho practice and a few months later was promoted to practice manager for a growing Orthopedic practice and an Urgent Care practice.

Long story short....I'm very busy

There are elements of my gig that I'm uncomfortable with, primarily associated with electronic medical records and "Meaningful Use", which shuts me down. I don't get it. It's waaaaay outside of my comfort zone and I'm struggling to be an appropriate employee.

I work hard and put in long hours but feel like I'm a fraud. I'm trying so hard and failing. My boss and I will be meeting on Tuesday with an employee who is a detriment to the front office. Every, single, front office staff member has come to me with complaints. It's universal and corroborated. But I'm dreading the confrontation on Tuesday.

Her personality is passive/aggressive. She is on probation for stabbing her hus and. She is a 6 foot Amazon and nobody wants to mess with her.

If you have any input for my 8:30 a.m meeting on Tuesday, I'd appreciate it.

Body Armor?
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Parelli shank, MR come-along halter and carrot stick...

good luck

(No, really, you deal with horses...don't fear humans. But do study up on pressure points of the human body to quickly bring her down to level if needed!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Her personality is passive/aggressive. She is on probation for stabbing her husband.
    'Passive'/anything isn't really an accurate description of this person.

Well to start with, congrats on all the promotions.

From what I've seen, I think everyone is still confused with "Meaningful Use." So far, I've probably listened to 3 or 4 webinars or presentations on it and it seems very, um....subjective. And the EHR stuff is just as bad since the government hasn't even entirely figured out their side of it.

I have no suggestions for your meeting, but good luck!

My husband is a manager in Corrections and deals with staff (and inmates) all the time-sounds like she could be classified as either one!

My suggestion would be to make sure nobody is alone with her during this meeting, especially as it looks like it might go sour. And document the conversation, and her reaction(s) to it. In detail. You may need it later.

Good luck. It's like Parents' Night will be for me next week. I know some meetings aren't going to go well. Good luck with yours.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Keep your cell phone handy, and pre-dialed to 911 so all you have to do is hit send if the meeting goes really badly, or at the very least, if you have security in your building have it pre-dialed to them.

I only say this because I had a nut job co-worker that security had to chase around our office to get her out of the building when she was given her pink-slip. We heard later that she did the same at a few other companies that she worked for after that, and police were called in. OY!

Congrats on the promotion, and hopefully it will all click for you soon.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I'm guessing the "Amazon" is going to be fired, right?

Then I would say if the building has security give them a heads up BEFORE the meeting. If the building does not have security, maybe discuss this with the local PD and ask that, given her history, a car be stationed outside.

I would also ask for a sit down with your boss, at a later date, to discuss your job performance related concerns. Think positive, you would not have been promoted if your boss did not think you capable!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Taser. I mean, she stabbed her husband and she probably loved him! Good luck!!

You don't state whether the Amazon is going to be reprimanded or fired. My advice below is more related to firings, actually.

Either way, why is this meeting, which could definitely get confrontational, being held on a Tuesday morning?

You want to fire people or talk seriously negative performance evaluations with them on a Friday afternoon, late. Like 4:45 p.m. late.

That way, if things get heated, they have the weekend to blow off steam and settle down. If they're getting fired, it makes them less likely to return to a full office and go postal on other employees. And honestly, from the employee's standpoint, it's less embarrassing to have to go through this in front of colleagues.

Work with H.R., make sure you are following company procedures (for firing and/or performance evaluations) to the letter of the law and beyond, and do alert company security. Don't be alone with this person. Keep it short short short.

I had to fire a few employees in a place where these things have the potential to go south very very quickly, i.e. threatening situations. The amount of work I had to do to prepare for these sad occurrences was unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I'm guessing the "Amazon" is going to be fired, right?

Then I would say if the building has security give them a heads up BEFORE the meeting. If the building does not have security, maybe discuss this with the local PD and ask that, given her history, a car be stationed outside.
    LBR
    This. Forget security. Call your local PD.

I've had to fire a few people- they never went the way I expected- those that I thought would make a big stink just walked out with no issue- others that I thought would understand did not. I also was laid-off so I have a bit of a feel for the other side of the table.

My tips are:

Always stick to the facts.

Avoid using the word "YOU" (puts people on the defensive)

Document everything

Definitely give security a heads up- they probably should be close by

Wear something neutral in color

if this is an initial meeting- sit next to her - says you are working with her; if this is a firing meeting- sit across from her- says that there is no discussion- this is the final event

Good luck. It never gets easier, I hated every time I had to do this, and still think about the people and how I impacted their lives- even though I worked with them for well over 6 months each time to try and correct their issues.

From the other side of the table, I will say that I did not want to hear any empathy, I just wanted the facts- wanted the paperwork and wanted to get the hell out of there. I was not fired- which makes it a little different- but it still felt aweful.

Ginger, per your post:

I've had to fire people ASAP for total cause, i.e. they did something so egregious that I had no other choice.

I've had to fire people after working with them for months and months (about 6 months on average, too) on a written improvement plan, documenting everything, doing formal scheduled as well as informal meetings to check in on progress toward goals, etc. etc.

And then I still had to fire them because they couldn't get with the program. This type of firing - after a long period of trying to work with someone - just sucks the most.

Jetsmom-Best suggestion ever!

I can't take it any longer: Did she stab him before she was hired? Please tell me that it happened after.

Protect yourself, and if it gets ugly do what you have to do to be safe. If she's going out the door then nobody is to be alone with her, and change the locks to anything she has access to. I second the document everything, because you know she'll try to sue.

And no one goes into a new job and has everything under control. You'll learn better time management, and other useful skills with experience.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Her personality is passive/aggressive. She is on probation for stabbing her hus and. She is a 6 foot Amazon and nobody wants to mess with her.

If you have any input for my 8:30 a.m meeting on Tuesday, I'd appreciate it.
    Firing/Confrontation is almost never fun (every once in a while...I digress). Your personal safety should be your main priority. Get all your documentation lined up, ahead of time and rehearse the whole shebang with HR, or higher up several times before the real deal.

Two things
    1. If there is hospital security, they need to be present, in the room for the meeting
    2. If there is no hospital security, call the local police department, explain the situation, and have someone present.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I think I might be a little concerned going to my car after work.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Call in sick for work Tues. morning.

Default Thanks for all of your responses

To clarify, this meeting will take place in the Admin. offices with my CAO. The intent is to notify her that her behavior with co-workers (subversive actions, demeaning language, shifting blame, etc.) is detrimental to he work environment. Every single one of the front office staff has told me that they want her gone.

Unless she does something egregious, she must be given notice. My CAO is following policies and procedures and she will be given the opportunity to improve her behavior. Unfortunately, I think that this meeting will exacerbate her negative interaction with staff. I should also add that, when the practice was looking for a new manager, she was also a candidate and was one of four of us who interviewed for the position. She did not have the support of the existing staff and I did. I later learned that she blamed at least a few of them for not getting the gig!

She was hired by my predecessor. He KNEW she was on probation and why. She was hired because she had an extensive background in medical billing. When he was still my supervisor, my co-workers and I complained about her behavior (this was at least 8 months ago) and I told him point blank that I wanted her gone. Nothing was ever done, so now the problem is in my lap. I don't think he checked her references because she has also confessed that she's been fired by every employer she's had. Oy.

The problem is not so much her performance as her personality, which is not going to be changed on Tuesday morning. Oh, she's also very, very loud and can be quite acerbic to patients as well.

I am going to be clear with my staff that they must report any and all negative interactions with her and I will use that to insist to my boss that she be summarily fired.

Thanks again for your support and input.

Default CONGRATS` GOOD LUCK ` BE SMART `

CONGRATS FIRST !!!

GOOD LUCK ```

BE SMART ``` GOOD SUGGESTIONS POSTED HERE

DOCUMENT ``` NEVER ALONE WITH SUBJECT

ALL THE FAITH IN YOU ```

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"