The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Two ponies need homes in VA

My neighbor has two 11-12ish ponies that he is looking to find a good home for. I think he wants them kept together.

First is a pal. mare about 16yrs. I was told she used to be ridden by his grandkids but was cold backed (would buck when first ridden but was fine afterwards). Looks to be a easy keeper.

Second is a six year old stallion that is out of the mare. He is a sabino/black with four white stockings and cute blanket on his butt. Not broke and I'm not sure that he is really halter broke. Very friendly and very cute cute mover. Has not produced any foals with his dam so one of them has issues in that department (good thing too..this is not a good foal situation..barb wire eveywhere).

A person visiting my neighbor left the gates open and I helped get them back to their home. First time I've really been around the mare. When the owner first put the mare on a leadline he let her walk in front of hun and she was taking advantage of it so I kinda butted in/took over and put a chain over her nose. After a few quick reminders of her manners she behaved very well going back to her place. At some point of her life she's had some basics at least. The stallion though didn't have a halter on and would not let anyone put anything around his neck so I while I've seen him have a halter on I doubt he's been really halter broke. He followed his mare/dam back to my neighbor's property. These horses REALLY need a good home with someone that can work with them. Owner has kept them as a hobby so he can watch them run around the pasture. Located in Hampton Va.

Not great pictures but these were taken a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=b40ac3b2ef

Wow. They are lovely. Good luck finding them homes! What a fun splash of chrome on the son! If I was closer I might think about it.

Also if two wasn't just a little too much of a project for me right now!

The son is really WOW...both coat and movement..

Are they requesting that they go together?
    "Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

Wow, I LOVE the stallion. He is beautiful and would make a great little dressage pony. But not even halter broke and wouldnt let you put anything around his neck? Thats hard to swallow. If I had my own place, I'd consider him, but I couldnt board him somewhere when he isnt halter broke. Not many BOs will let someone bring a horse like that to board.

Well I will ask him the next time I see the owner (a nice older guy..the animals on this property are his hobby..goats, chickens, and the two ponies) if they have to go together but if someone takes the mare and leaves the stallion..well I can't see that being a good situation (especially for me since I'm moving my mare next door in a few weeks..). I have horseguard going across the top of my fence so that should keep him out should he decide to jump his low fence but I would rather he stay put lol.

I just don't see how the horses have not coliced but I guess the care that they are getting isn't that bad. They don't get water in their stalls overnight at all (no water on property so I guess he's using rain barrels or bringing water from his house),somedays they don't go out. We have a high water table and everytime it rains there is standing water. I see them drinking out of the puddles alot. I just feel bad for them (their stall are tiny..dirt with no shavings the one time I snuck over there and peeked) but I can't take them myself.

A neighbor down the street says that mare could be anywhere between 16-20yrs old. So I thought I would mention that even though it doesn't help her out :0(

Talked to the neighbor and he said he wants them to go together if possible. I think he doesn't want one pony taken and the other just left behind without a companion.

Also he said the stallion is halter broke..meaning he can get the halter on the stallion and grab him by the halter and lead him in his stall or out the gate..but not broke to lead on a leadrope.

I don't think he has really pushed to get the horses gone though he has had a few people look at them...and I'm not sure if he really cares (or not much as I do lol) that they don't go to someone who won't just turn around and dump them at a meat auction.

Where are they located?

They are in Hampton...about an hour past my farm, across the James River.

Hey CHS...does your friend still want my QH mare?
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Cute Cute Cute! Wish I had a trailer, I would love to get my hands on the little stud!
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Savoy 8 I could haul hm to you if you really want him. The old mare could hang out here with the rest of my old ladies.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I totally forgot about that. LOL I just zapped her an email. I'll let you know.

Awww cute! They look like a handfull for such little horses though!
    In order not to be criticised:
    Do nothing.
    Say nothing.
    Be nothing.

It's a BEAUTIFUL day outside 2:20pm. 76degrees with a breeze. Poor ponies next door are in their stall with no food, no water, dirty stall, since yesterday evening. I would give them water except I don't have buckets for them as they don't have water buckets in their stall (they have a sink that he puts grain in). I feel bad for them and have offered to turn them out for him before but it seems he didn't really want me to help out.

update: AS I was typing this he's here. Yay the horses will get out :0) Sorry for no updated pictures but I've been really busy with kids birthdays and stuff. Will try to get some soon.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    Poor ponies next door are in their stall with no food, no water, dirty stall, since yesterday evening.
    Why on earth don't you call animal control?!?!

Animal control doesn't do anything around here. They look well fed and taken care of ..food on the property..rain water barrels. No starving looking animals. There isn't mounds of poo in their stalls..they are just dirty churned up dirt floors that are sometimes dirty (a day or two at a time).

Animal Control came out to another barn that I was where the horse had hooves so overgrown misshapen it was backwards and the horse wouldn't put any weight on it. Horse looked starved. Owner told them that the horse was fine and had a stroke and they wouldn't do anything. Vet did finally manage to convince the owner to put the horse down instead of floating the hroses teeth. That's when the horse was lame on the other three legs as well and couldn't hardly get up. Animal control did nothing to the horse that had it's head tied to it's saddle overnight either. It's pretty sad but they don't really care.

Hope this works...here's a link to a few pictures I took today. Not great because they were taken with a 3d camera that doesn't take good 2d but you get the idea

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...snmind/ponies/

I would take the mare if the stud had someone that wanted him. I can do One pony, but I'm not set up for a stud of any size.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Geld the stally and I'll sneak him in my pasture Gorgeous.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

I really wish these guys weren't 6 hrs away.

I keep trying not to look at this thread. I have such a soft spot for appy ponies. And he is only 3.5 hours away.