The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sick sick sick! :( (Sinus? Flu? Plaugue?)

I have been one hell of a sicky for over a week (a few trips to the clinic have resulted in steroids and the usual advice of 'if you get worse, go the the ER/urgent care) and today, I just feel like hell - my head hurts so much that my teeth ache, and napping just makes me feel worse.

I'm thinking about going to the 7-11 for some popsicles, but I have a feeling I'll redecorate the side of the road on the way...

*ug* such a lovely day outside and I can barely think straight...

So in this thread, advice on HOW to make the 10 -15 minute round trip to the store worth it...
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

Couldn't tell you - I decided to go back to bed and curl up in foetal position, instead.

I feel your pain. I've had the most exasperating bug for heading on 3 weeks now - off and on. That's the annoying part. When it hits, I'm sick as a dog, but then I'll be fine for a couple of days, think I'm finally over it, and back it comes. Spent the last 3 weekends essentially in bed or lacking the energy to get out of my chair. I'm getting bored with it now.

Hope you feel better soon!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I made it to the 7-11 and bought a trio of them... I have seen almost every free movie on cable, kicked butt on a lot of mind jolt facebook games - was 'over' the "wee! time off of work"'s days ago. Back to the clinic monday AM with a firm case of "FIX ME!!!"
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

I am on four weeks now of those waves of sickness, some kind of upper respiratory bug and almost over now, except for an ear that is so full I can't hear and have a headache clear up from that ear thru the eye to the top of the head.
    Dizzy from that ear being out too and still coughing some.

Just hoping a few more days will clear that up also, or I too will have to eventually give in and go see the Dr., which I hate, I have become allergic to Drs lately.

Everyone I know here had that same bug and took several weeks to get over it, but all are alive and well now.

Alter~of~Oz Guest

DD is on Day 9 of a fever.. 3 trips to the pedi - 2 sets of strep tests - nada..
    and not a great way to spend spring break.

Hope everyone feels better soon!

Sounds like you have a sinus infection I had one and they are NOT fun at all. Antibiotics will clear it up.

I also used the OTC stuff like Advil cold and sinus for the pain and pressure.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Mmmm. I can sympathize. I've had a sore throat for weeks now. I thought it was allergy-related, but ... apparently not.

I don't feel sick, really (went running today), but I do feel more tired than usual.

Stupid cooties.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

(Wearily raising hand) Sinus infection right here. I've never been this tired. I took the dog for walk, got a block away and just ran out of steam. Nothing. I take a nap, it all runs down my throat and I start awake, drowning.

I'm sorry, you're probably going to see me popping up on threads like this for awhile, saying "Test for Lyme"! (My three kids have had it, one quite badly, and I've had it four times).

My 11 year old just kept getting sick with one thing after another, and when we did a complete work up, it was Lyme. One of the times I had it I just couldn't shake an upper respiratory infection, despite going to my doctor twice and getting two kinds of antibiotics. When I lost patience with her and went to a different doctor, he did a work up and -- Lyme.

I do realize that most of you (all of you?) don't have Lyme. But any time something is wrong and you can't figure out what is going on, it is one of the things that should be ruled out.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I'm sorry, you're probably going to see me popping up on threads like this for awhile, saying "Test for Lyme"! (My three kids have had it, one quite badly, and I've had it four times).

My 11 year old just kept getting sick with one thing after another, and when we did a complete work up, it was Lyme. One of the times I had it I just couldn't shake an upper respiratory infection, despite going to my doctor twice and getting two kinds of antibiotics. When I lost patience with her and went to a different doctor, he did a work up and -- Lyme.

I do realize that most of you (all of you?) don't have Lyme. But any time something is wrong and you can't figure out what is going on, it is one of the things that should be ruled out.
    You know, I was just thinking of this yesterday! I'm not uber sick right now, and really haven't been laid flat out all winter. BUT, I'm on apparent long lasting cold number 3 for this season and just had apparent GI virus with fever/joint aches number 2 for this season. I RARELY get sick, even when caring for sick kids....I've always had a pretty kick ass immune system and I eat well and get plenty of sleep as a rule. Just not normal to have one illness after another for me. We live in Lyme central...deer running everywhere and the dog has had it three times. My husband has been tested, but I have not, think I will!

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    (Wearily raising hand) Sinus infection right here. I've never been this tired. I took the dog for walk, got a block away and just ran out of steam. Nothing. I take a nap, it all runs down my throat and I start awake, drowning.
    Ditto that for me. It took me over an hour to muck out this morning- I had to keep sitting down. I have a feeling that the horses might be living out for the next few days.

I'm wiped. I have a feeling that going to work tomorrow isn't going to be fun.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'm not a doctor...

This will not CURE a sinus infection, but it can reduce the sensation of pressure.

Read about the Neti pot here: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus...re-9/neti-pots

Also, if used regularly, it may help prevent future sinus infections. (I say that knowing that however good my intentions, I don't ever manage to use it regularly.)

The key thing is the temperature of the water. Too warm or too cool and it feels like inhaling water. If it's body temperature, though, you don't feel a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
    I'm not a doctor...

This will not CURE a sinus infection, but it can reduce the sensation of pressure.

Read about the Neti pot here: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus...re-9/neti-pots

Also, if used regularly, it may help prevent future sinus infections. (I say that knowing that however good my intentions, I don't ever manage to use it regularly.)

The key thing is the temperature of the water. Too warm or too cool and it feels like inhaling water. If it's body temperature, though, you don't feel a thing.
    Boil the water and let it cool to close to body temp. . . ask me how I know

Sinus infections are nasty symptoms include headache, whole head hurting, nausea, sore throat, coughing, ear aches/infection, exhaustion, vertigo. Get thee to a DR, ENT preferred. Extreme cases require antibiotics and steroids. Again ask me how I know
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Demand an antibiotic and use them all!! I learned the hard way...went off the antibiotic after a few days because I was feeling so much better and bamm...it was back!!

Default Last fall I had a cough...

It didn't go away for 2 months I mean the kind of cough where you think you are going to crack a rib. Wet your pants. A couple of times a day. It was AWFUL. Threw up once from just coughing. I had NO energy, but otherwise, it wasn't a cold or flu, and I went to a Doctor, got the antibotiocs, no good, neither the steroids. There was a lot of it going around. My mom just got over her bout with it. Bad stuff.
    Another killer of threads