The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever repainted their car or truck?

Of so, how did it go? Who did you use? And, if you do not mind, how much did it cost?
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I repainted a Volkswagen back in the 1980's at Earl Scheib for cheap. The car looked good! A friend and I did the prep work -- sanding rust spots and applying a bit of Bondo here and there as needed.

I can't recall now what the cost was at the time. I think Scheib's advertised painting most cars for less than $100, but that was 3 decades ago!

Oddly enough, what I want to paint is my 2000 VW Beetle. LOL
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

I did the Erl Schibe thing with my beloved old Maverick - in my case, I'd spent months chasing down 'new' parts (including a coveted 'Grabber hood' which was worth more than the car itself) - they even put on the parts for me. It was like having a whole new hot rod.
    Eternal Earth-Bound Pets Independent Contractor.

All I want is to know WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CHICKEN???

I used Maaco to repaint my '87 Jetta back in the mid-90's. I think it was the cheapest full body job that they offered, so like $199?

The passenger door had the guts fall out and the only replacement that I could find was gold and my car was maroon/burgandy, so it had to be done. College budgeting made the decision easy as to who was doing it.

Paint looked great and held up well. I sold the car about 2 years later for more than I had paid for it originally...so it was well worth the expense in hindsight.

Earl Scheib seems to no longer be in business. Looks like all of the stores under that name have been sold off to independant.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Are you near Acton, CA? I had my truck and my horse trailer repainted, after some body work, by a fellow there and he did a great job on both. Not cheap, but not prohibitively expensive either. Quality work for the price.

I penciled out the cost of repainting versus buying a new/newer truck and trailer and figured I'd save money by repairing and repainting the vehicles.

(My sociopath-alcoholic-now-ex-BF jackknifed a trailer into the side of the truck two months after its beautiful paint job I sold the truck, soon after unloading the a-hole, and now some lucky person is still driving around in a nice Dodge 4WD 3/4 ton Cummins Turbo Diesel with a new paint job and a bashed in side.)

Depends.. do you just wanted it painted so it all matches and don't really care about perfection? Then sure you can go with something like Macco. I would point out that they paint job probably won't LAST an extremely long time. The most important thing in painting a car is prep work (both in the beginning and between layers). Also quality paint helps a lot.
    My hubby had his z painted after someone "ran into him" (someone hit a car in the parking lot hard enough to pick it up and push it into his car). A local body shop that was highly recommended did the body work and the paint job. I think everything cost around $3,000. And even with that there were somethings that hubby did not like about the paint job, but said it would do for a couple years (but that car is his baby and he's VERY particular about it).
    As with everything you usually get what you pay for.

In college days I bought a really old car. It was getting rusty so I found a good ol' boy to teach me bodiwork. Once we sand- and bondo- and primer- and tape -d it a friend of his sprayed painted it. With an airgun not a can. It was not bad--probably like Schieb. It was probably a hundred or 2 but I learned a lot.

I married that good ol boy a few years later. We have not painted a car since.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I wish I had a gear head friend. My dad and brother love cars, but have not gotten into the gear-head part of it, or the body work part. I would like to learn myself but I want to learn from a friend. I love cars, and I would LOVE to have a hobby garage.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

I had my 2001 Dodge Dakota repainted (same as orginal color) last year for $2000 which involved taking the bed off the frame. I specified that I wanted a "high quality street" job, not a "show car" job. It was painted by a local, independently owned collision/custom center.

After it's repaint, I tweeted the photo. Truck Trend Magazine saw it and included it in their Reader's Rides feature =D
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

I had my old '85 F-150 repainted at Maaco, maybe in '94 or '95, decent job at a reasonable price. More recently I had my two horse bp repainted out here in Utah at a Maaco- found a shop with a big enough bay to fit a horse trailer and talked them into it, and they did a very nice job indeed.

I would add that I previously had said trailer repainted at a local shop, 'supposed' to be very good- but honestly, Maaco did a better job for a little over half the price- I think I paid $600 or so for the trailer job- two tone paint, painting inside and out.

I have! I have! By myself! With a paintbrush! I did a car once, and I do my horse trailer about every two years. (I'm getting it better at getting it right.) It would cost several thousands to repaint the trailer, so I just do it myself. I don't care that it looks wonderful (though it does) but that it doesn't rust. If you're the handy type and like it, it's pretty cool. You really want to get OUT any rust first. Use a heavy duty sander and get as much out as you can. There is a stuff I like from Jasco that is a rust converter that you can put on rust that dries out and turns it black so no more rust. It helps if you use a good primer, but I don't always. I sometime just use a liquid that prepares the surface for paint. Get GOOD paint. I get the $35 a gallon heavy duty metal paint for playground equipment. If you have holes or bumps, you can bondo it.

If you like this stuff, I'm sure you can do it.

Well, it does not have to be show quality and I love the color it is right now, but I do want a couple/few layers of clear coat because I live in the desert and the desert is horrible on paint jobs. This same car would look fine in another area.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs-n-Frodo View Post
    I live in the desert and the desert is horrible on paint jobs. This same car would look fine in another area.

The paint jobs may look better but rain and salt do bad things to the non visible areas of cars.