The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Firewall and Anit Virus Downloads - any suggestions

Can anyone suggest good firewall and anti virus programs that are free to download?

Avast was recommended to me by a guy in the computer business. Comes in three versions, from free to more advanced.

Somebody else swears by Vipre, but it's not free...
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

I am using AVG anti virus, you can get the basic for free. Seems to work good, the only thing I have a problem with is when it scans my adobe plugin crashes if I'm playing a game, but I have a rather old computer.
    I have a perfect body, it's in the trunk and it's starting to smell!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

free version.
    do this> upgrade everytime you log on
    full scan each session.

if you do get a trojan... start your computer, using the F8 key by hitting repeatedly ---- this will move you into Safe Mode where you can run a Full Scan you need to get to safe mode before windows starts.

It was also suggested to use Mozilla Foxfire as the browser--- I was told the Explorer offers very little protection
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Anti-virus - Avast and AVG are both very good free ones.

Firewalls - Windows has its own that is fine. Or you can use ZoneAlarm.

You should also install a couple of anti-spyware programs. I suggest Adaware and Spyblaster.

You can go to www.komando.com and learn lots more and download them all from there. This is Kim Komando's website. She is THE web tech goddess.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by brightskyfarm View Post
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

free version.
    do this> upgrade everytime you log on
    full scan each session.

if you do get a trojan... start your computer, using the F8 key by hitting repeatedly ---- this will move you into Safe Mode where you can run a Full Scan you need to get to safe mode before windows starts.

It was also suggested to use Mozilla Foxfire as the browser--- I was told the Explorer offers very little protection
    Malware Bytes is excellent!!! Just be sure to download it NOW, and not when you get a nasty thing that takes over your computer and won't let you download it. Oh that was a mess. Thank god I was at home and could use my dads Desktop to download the program and put it on a zip drive. Everytime I notice something weird I run Malware Bytes and it gets rid of it.

I use AVG and Superantispyware, which I really recommend over Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes USED to be fantastic, but too many hackers know how to get past that one now.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by brightskyfarm View Post
    This is such a misconception that makes me laugh all the time. While no browser is perfect, Firefox actually has MORE vulnerabilities than IE:

http://www.bit9.com/company/news-rel...ils.php?id=175

Same with Apple products being soooo great. They're not any better if you do the research. People buy stuff blindly because it is popular.

Also, keep your operating system, browser, and anti-virus definitions up to date!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Firewalls - Windows has its own that is fine. Or you can use ZoneAlarm.

I've been happy with Spybot Search & Destroy for spyware. If you use both Internet Explorer and Firefox, a nice feature is that it updates for vulnerabilities in both of them regardless of which browser you are running the program from.

I use TrendMicro's Housecall, right on their website. It's a free online virus scan, and I'm pretty happy with it!

Use the Windows Defender on your computer, and also download Malwarebytes. The firewall that comes preinstalled with Windows works fine. Also check the settings for your router - your router will have its own security settings/firewall which should be on automatically.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free and comes with the browser), it's good, free and even I can download and operate it easily. I do manually check for updates, and it will scan automatically at the recommended day and hour on Vista (my old XP needs a manual scan, but it's no big deal). I used to have Avast, but it stopped working for me after the first year, so I went with Norton for a year or so. I dumped Norton when it ran out, because the constant running in the background was very irritating. Plus Norton really slowed down my laptop (Vista) and my desktop (XP).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have Avast and Malwarebytes. Both recommended to me by my computer fix-it man after my 3rd malware/virus in 3 months. He kept it on the hush-hush when he mentioned it (because he could lose his job), but not a problem in the 18 months since!
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I use AVG anti-virus, MalwareBytes for spyware, and the generic Windows firewall which I've found to be fine. I also like Avira's anti-virus software as well.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG