The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best way to move to move household goods?

I'll be moving from Washington state to Colorado in the near future and need to consider how I'm moving my household goods while considering costs and ease of move. Ideas???

I used PODS when I moved from AZ to MA...was pretty easy- fit the contents of a 3 BR condo in two pods...cost about $1600.

I just checked and PODS are not available at either the start or end of the move locations.

ABF has their re-lo cubes which are the same basic concept. I think they may be easier to load than a trailer/truck. We have moved with ABF before where we loaded a semi-trailer they parked in front of the house, then unloaded at the new place, but timing might be more of a concern there and loading to the heighth of the trailer is not easy.

Others' experiences and ideas?

Yard sales, lots of them. Donate, recycle. Reduce your stuff.

We rented Penske trucks from CA to KY, two times. The first time diesel was low and the price for the truck was pretty high - I'm thinking $3500?? We got half our stuff plus half the shop stuff, then moved again when we sold the house with all the rest of it. Diesel that year was over $4 a gallon and the truck was much less but also older and dirtier.
    Still ran good and the Penske people have a repair fleet across the US - I'd like to shout out to the Penske guy in Danville IN (?) who pulled a u-turn and checked us out as we sat at roadside trying to figure out whether to go on or try to find a motel - he lead us to a decent motel with plenty of room for the rig, which was the truck and a car trailer.

The rental price was for a certain length of time - something like 10 days, so we had adequate time to load, travel and unload, and the second time we cleaned out the storage space from the first time and brought it home too.

Flylady.net has a whole section on moving and how to de stress some of it.
    Don't even ask me about moving multiple cars and horse trailers, etc. All I can say is that when I was just out of high school my cousin drafted me to drive one of their cars from CA to NM, filled with house plants and the cat. Quite the adventure that was.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Mar. 19, 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: paragraphs are your friend
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

There are other companies who do the POD type thing. I can't remeber the company we used, but it was a little under $2000 to go from TN to CA two years ago. PODs quoted me about triple that.

Ah yes, just checked, and it was ABF. We didn't have much trouble packing/unpacking, and my husband and I did it all ourselves. We used two cubes for a two-bedroom house's worth of stuff.
    Last edited by Belair; Mar. 19, 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: looked up company

there are other companies that have containers like pods- I googled and found this one:
    http://www.upack.com/lp/moving-conta...FUGo4AodpVIT9w

I know there are some up the street from me, I'll find out the name and let you know. I agree though, the more you can sell the better.

There are a lot of pod type companies, and some deliver within a certain distance of their hub cities. If you pack yourself and load your own truck I would get the sterilite storage containers, and label them with a permanent marker. The containers run about $3.50 or so each and keep everything secure, have carry handles, and keep bugs out. And I echo the cleaning out idea, since it's silly to pack, move, and unpack stuff you don't need and will get rid of anyway. You can rent a truck or pod and hire moving people from a commercial company to pack and unload for you. Take a funky looking storage container with your remotes, chargers, metal tape measure, notebook and pens, and take a WA phone book. Definitely include needle nose pliers, and small baggies for the posts in book cases, tv stands, etc so they don't get lost. Label each bag separately for each type of furniture and do a good description on the outside of the bag. A couple of utility knives to open boxes. I also get a few big storage containers for art work, sewing machines, etc, CD players, DVD players, and just use big dish packs or wardrobe boxes for linen closet items, and other light things. I take a week or so of work clothes on hangers tossed across the car seat, and put the rest of my clothes I need in garbage bags or suitcases. I use the storage containers for clothes too, and simple leave them on hangers and drop them in the container for out of season or spares I don't need immediately. When you arrive on the other end just spray washables with wrinkles with a spray bottle of water or use the steam cycle on the dryer and rehang. You can do a lot of clothes in one dryer cycle and knits and such won't even wrinkle. The wardrobe boxes are usually crammed so full and so heavy that things wrinkle anyway so I don't use them. Take you most necessary papers with you (I like a plastic crate with hanging folders, and unload it into the hotel room each night). An exec with a moving company told me you save about 50% by packing the boxes yourself, and he certainly was right.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Very good ideas - thank you! I am checking out flylady.net as suggested by ReSomething and there are lots of ideas there. I've done a lot of what's mentioned in the thread, but some are new and I think will be very helpful.

I plan to get rid of whatever I can, though the packrat syndrome runs strong on my dad's side of the family. Some furniture will go by way of Craigslist and the rest of the stuff (trying hard to fight packrat syndrome) we're letting go of will be donated for the tax deduction. Hubby is already in Colorado, but will have a week in Washington to help with the move.

We still have to figure out the timing of everything. My last day of work for the school year is June 13, though I might be able to be done by June 10. Our daughter is getting married on June 19 in Denver and lots of family is flying in for it. We have to decide when to put the house on the market, what to get done first (cleaning, yardwork, painting, etc.), and so on. While I have a horse trailer I think I will have my mare commercially shipped since I have limited hauling experience and the trip is 15 hours without hauling. Hubby has the car in Colorado while I have the truck, the horse trailer, and the pop-up trailer in Washington. I think you can do the math with truck and trailers so I see multiple trips happening or I need to ship the pop-up trailer.

I'm flying to Denver/Limon for spring break to meet the new company folk, check out real estate, help with daughter's wedding plans, etc. Hopefully I can get a lot of worries ironed out then and set up a viable time frame.

I'm still open to suggestions, anything to stop this spinning of my head.

the pods up the street from me say 1-800-pack-rat - might want to try them for a quote too...

You could drive with the horse trailer, with some household goods and horse stuff in it (not heavy stuff, but storage containers of linens and clothes), and maybe ship the popup. Or could your hubby come to Washington, and tow the popup with the car? Hire professionals for the cleanup, painting etc. If I remember correctly you used to be able to deduct painting in preparation for a move if it was within 90 days of a sale-but go to the IRS site and download the selling your house brochure to see what's deductible from profit. And only go with a realtor who will immediately put multiple pictures on realtor.com and the local mls-I don't even look at houses without a lot of pictures so I can weed out places that don't suit me. And if there are other properties for sale near your house go look at the realtor signs, then look at realtor.com and see what their ads look like, and more importantly how many days on the market. Plus, since you have time I would get several landscaping companies in for estimates on clean up, and planting curb appeal plants-some actually have discount coupons since this is the slow season. And don't forget to get the gutters cleaned and the furnace serviced. Paint only neutral colors inside and out, and definitely clean the junk out of the basement and garage and tool shed-when they look junky, or there are minor maintenance items (burned out bulbs, nasty bath grout) then buyers don't think you do the big maintenance items either. And collect all instruction books staying with the house in one kitchen drawer now, and put the ones you need where you can find them to take.

Set a bottom price now, and price accordingly and be up front about move-in dates, so the potential buyers know when you are moving out. And for a good offer you could ship and store your stuff, and move to a temporary apartment furnished and that would make your move easier. Maybe over spring break you could drive the trailer or pop up to Colorado, store it, and then drive with the other one when you move. And if you don't want to drive alone maybe your hubby could fly back and drive with you one way with the trailer, and then you drive back by yourself, or maybe take a friend for company on the round trip. Then when you leave in June you drive the pop up (I assume that's the easier one?) saving shipping costs, and you could look at houses in Limon when you are there if you want to. At least drive through your target neighborhoods to see if you like them, and see what the area looks like on the weekends when the maximum number of people are home. It should only take a day and a half to get there, and that long coming back, so you should be able to do the outgoing trip on a Saturday and Sunday, and then come back on Monday & Tuesday. And don't worry about shipping too much, since I find even though I clean out a lot, I still get rid of stuff at the destination. If you don't know exactly what the living spaces look like, and how much room you have for storage and living it's hard to get rid of things before hand.

Don't forget to check for any limitations or covenants at the new home or rental in Colorado. Many places don't permit horse trailers or popups in the front yard, and some don't allow them outside of garages either. That's why many upscale subdivisions have 3 and 4 car garages. And some places don't allow big trucks either (yes, in your own driveway) and many don't allow on street parking either.
    Last edited by JanM; Mar. 20, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We sold the old F350 before we left and purchased a newer one here, which DH drove all the way back to get the horse trailer + last of the shop tools. We crunched the numbers and between the age and condition of the old truck and the newer, easier to find one here . . .

So you might consider selling either the pop-up or the horse trailer or both before you go.

We did have a friend who volunteered to drive for us but tell you what, you can plan and plan and it's hard to get gone when you say you will (at least with my DH) - our buyer was moving in while we were moving out (which worked out well for her as she got a delivery from Home Depot and they wouldn't come all the way up the road, we ended up loading it onto the lumber rack on our truck and taking it back with us on one of our several last trips).

You can do it - I had a co-worker who had to unload a semi trailer in x hours with all his wordly possessions and he calculated out how far he needed to be each hour to get it done and measured the truck and packed his garage - there was no way to get the trailer done and get the stuff into the house too, but he did it and got the semi unloaded in time so no penalties.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

ReSomething - We thought about selling a trailer, but they're relatively new and we wouldn't be able to replace for what it will cost to drive them to CO. Truck is an '09 purchased new in fall of '08, pop-up trailer is an '07 purchased new in '08, and Classic horse trailer is an '08 purchased new in '09. Also, truck and pop-up are paid off and horse trailer is nearly so. We got excellent deals on them because of timing of purchases so it would be hard to replace them for the same amount.

While I'm not looking forward to figuring out and implementing the logistics of this move, I'm really looking forward to a simpler life and being closer to family.