The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dead mouse in a wall

So we noticed a bad smell and have isolated it to one wall. We really think a mouse got in there and died. We are checking for mouse entrance areas to prevent this in the future but does anyone have any suggestions about handling the smell until then?

Bopper

Get painter's masking tape and tape all over, even the edges, of any switches and receptacles.
    That is where most of the smell comes thru into the room.

You must not have a dog that tells you there be mice in the walls, sniffing there incessantly, until the smell is loud enough for you to notice.

I had the same thing to happen about a month ago. The bad news is that it probably is not a mouse. I brought my exterminator in to find and remove the source of the stink and he said that mice typically don't make enough of the stinky gas when they decompose for humans to smell it.

He did the same thing as Bluey recommended. He soaked paper towels in Ozium? and stuffed where the smell could get out and then sealed on top of that.

I unfortunately am one of those people with a pretty good sense of smell and so the combined scent of dead animal and Ozium made me very nauseous and I avoided going into the front of my townhome for several weeks.

Oh, yes, a little bitty dead mouse can smell terrible for a few days.
    If you ever have some come up the pipes under sinks, as we did in the 1936 house and get snapped in the traps you have set there, you quickly find out when you smell it and then hold your nose as you take the trap out.

You may also want to be sure your dead critter is in the walls, didn't die under some furniture or in a closet or such, where you can dispose of it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Oh, yes, a little bitty dead mouse can smell terrible for a few days.
    If you ever have some come up the pipes under sinks, as we did in the 1936 house and get snapped in the traps you have set there, you quickly find out when you smell it and then hold your nose as you take the trap out.

You may also want to be sure your dead critter is in the walls, didn't die under some furniture or in a closet or such, where you can dispose of it quickly.
    YES check the closets, etc LOL. One of my mom's cats caught a mouse and was playing with it (yes, in the house!) and wouldn't let mom get it... and before she could catch cat/get rid of mouse, the cat LOST the mouse. (or maybe hid it on purpose? to drive the humans nuts?) No one could find it, until it started to smell...

I once had a rabbit die in the venting system of our house. Talk about bad smell

OMG.. we had this in our old house before we moved. It was always in the walls upstairs in the bathroom between our kids rooms. The last time it happened I was standing over the sink one morning and a MAGGOT dropped through the canned light fixture into my insinkerator.

That was it- I couldnt take ANY MORE!!! Absolutely disgusting. So we called an exterminator who put some traps in the attic and crawl space but told us that the only way to get rid of the smell was to rip out the walls and find it- which could be $10,000 worth of wall to restore afterwards because it can be hard to tell for sure where its coming from. (yeah, no thanks) It took a week for it to go away. It was AWFUL. We closed off the door to the room, opened the windows, and didnt go in until it went away.

It happened every year we lived there when the cornfield next to us was cut down except one. I do not miss that experience at all- so sorry you're going through it! YUCK!!!
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

We have had a few, too. But have not yet resorted to pulling out walls. In due course the body mummifies and the smell dissipates. I'm not going to be around when the house is demolished or remodelled so will not see how many little mummies are around. (The house is 97 years old.) I know there are some under the bath tub, yech.

I cleaned out the closet when the smell started and could not find anything. Based on our dogs behavior we pretty much know where it is coming from, we just can't get to it. Hopefully the taping will help. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bopper