The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Home Depot for new roof?

I'm considering a new roof, and home depot came to give us an estimate. Nice guy, great drawing and math skills, good at measuring BUT, after meeting with the rep I got online and read absolute horror stories about Home Depot's roofing service (meaning HD does the installation, not just the materials).
    A couple of things stood out that had me concerned - no caping "hats" of ventilation pipes are needed
    they will install a ridge vent even though are attic is sealed (plastered internally) at the top (so what are they venting?), nails instead of roofing screws with gaskets, no full roof waterproof liner (like Graces ice/dam shield) just ice dam protection on the perimeters etc. The estimated time? 4-5 days (that seems impossibly fast for the size of the roof).
    I thought about Home Depot in general and I think most of their products are not the best quality.
    Anyone have any input?
    This roofing requires full reroofing including the base (plywood) part and is about 3,200 feet with a 55 inch drop.
    Thanks.

The specifications for the roof do not sound right or durable. Putting a ridge vent in a roof with a plastered ceiling sounds terrible. And you do realize if the rain is blowing violently sideways it can come under a roof ridge vent and come in the house? It really can.

When you go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears or other large organization for a roof they are subbing it out, and charging you a hefty fee for the convenience. You need a roofing company that does a job modified to your specifications, and not a substandard job like the one HD is proposing.

My last roof was with screws, but that was because it was metal. And I think perimeter ice dam is standard (even in Canada-I watch Mike Holmes a lot and he is satisfied with it).

I think you will do better calling for estimates from a few of the roofing companies locally where you can check them out online, and through your friends. Most legitimate companies can tell you what other jobs they've done locally, and you could drive by and see them. ALso check the local Better Business Bureau and online sites like Yelp to see if there are any complaints. And I would also call the building inspector's office locally and see what the regs are for roof installation and permits in your area.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Don't do it. Just hire a good roofer.