The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hotel reccomendations for HITS Saugerties

I'm going to a show at Saugerties for the first time and am looking for some hotel reccomendations. When I read reviews on line the hotels never seem to match the descriptions, the past couple of hotels I've booked and stayed at were definitely not up to par and included roaches and bed bugs

I'm thinking of either the quality inn or the holiday inn.

Thanks!

Most stay at the Holiday. Not great, but no bedbugs that I ever saw.( And yes I do check. Pull the headboard away from the wall. Best indicator) If you really want to be upscale, not sure when Tom's personal new hotel is opening. You may want to call and check. i heard when it was to open, but forget.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

If you stay one exit away from Saugerties (Kingston? Whatever is exit 19 on the Thruway), there are a bunch of nice hotels that are much cheaper than the ones right by the show. It's about a 15/20 minute drive though.

ETA: Which week(s) are you going?

Avoid the Super8 in Kingston. No bedbugs, but it was so gross i was afraid to walk around without shoes on.

This little b&b is clean and the owner is super nice! It's right down the road from the showgrounds. http://www.montgomerybandb.com/index.html
    ponies! Ponies! PONIES!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    ETA: Which week(s) are you going?
    Not until September 13-18. Its actually for Region 8 Dressage Championships and the Para-Equestrian Championships. Since they do so many hunter/humpter shows, I figured this was the better forum for my question

The quality inn I booked with is in Kingston. I'm still looking at other options, but I at least have a room if I don't find anything better.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

a couple years we stayed at the RED HOUSE INN a small motel close to show. its not fancy but good enough, quiet and close. next year we just stayed at howard johnsons cheap and closer to show.
    all i recall was no STARBUCKS in the town but there is an amazing argentine cafe on main street that has great toasted egg wraps and espresso.
    track trash
    resources for recycled racehorses

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn, which is 2 minutes away from the show grounds, I think there is a HoJo's next door to it. The Comfort Inn was fine, free continental breakfast, no restaurant on the premises though. I have also stayed at the HOliday Inn, which was nice, and the Quality Inn, no complaints. Agree with supershort about staying one exit away if you don't mind a 15-20 minute ride to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by staceymc View Post
    Avoid the Super8 in Kingston. No bedbugs, but it was so gross i was afraid to walk around without shoes on.
    Cannot agree more...I am by no means picky... it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in...the first room we were in had just been painted so we all got sick from the fresh paint fumes...got moved to a new room... it had someones dirty underwear hanging up in the bathroom! (obviously the room did NOT get cleaned haha) also for some odd reason... they only made one of the two beds everyday? Then to top it off someone across the hall threw up and they just dumped a bucket of bleach on it... which made all of us sick because of how bad it smelled!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

we stayed at the hampton inn in Kingston twice and I LOVE it! It's not too far from the show (15 minutes i think) and I HIGHLY recommend it! VERY VERY clean, friendly staff, continental breakfast, little indoor pool...great great great..and i thought pretty well priced...i THINK it was maybe $150 a night.

Slightly alternative suggestion... to me the pain of going 20 minutes away isn't worth it. The KOA campground (2 miles from horse show) is very reasonable and has some cute log cabins at very reasonable rates. The cabins have electricity and beds (not exactly gourmet, but keeps you dry), and there are showers etc in separate block. Has a swimming pool etc which is good for kids. If you have a camper/LQ trailer that is another option. I prefer KOA to local hotels, because you have to book hotels in Jan or something to get ones close to horse show, which doesn't work for me.

if there are several of you, I suggest renting a house thru homeaway.com

Default Underwear behind the sofa :0

Stayed at the Comfort Inn last year, had reservations for several nights, only stayed one and drove back and forth to Vermont the rest, just couldnt do it. The whole place was gross and we found a pair of mens underwear behind the sofa, yikes!
    Finally in FL, loving the weather but still missing the Green Mountains!!

Not sure if you've booked yet, but I've been there for Junior Hunter Finals, and we stayed at a place called the Smythe House B&B. I ABSOLUTELY can't say enough good things. They're accommodating for small and larger groups (you can book floors or separate rooms) and are the most welcoming people ever. They will cook you custom breakfasts (whatEVER you want) every morning, whenever you want (even if it's 4am!). Its clean as home, and comfortable. If you need anything, like help with dry cleaning, etc, they're more than happy to help. It's also about 3 or 4 mins from the show grounds. I HIGHLY recommend it, and we're really picky.

http://www.outstandinghospitality.com/

Quote Originally Posted by staceymc View Post
    Agreed. Rooms smelled like cigarette smoke to the point where they had to switch us.

Holiday Inn is probably the best choice in that area, Request a room away from the pool if possible in order to avoid the chlorine smell.

johnadam Guest

Yes i also preffer B&B

Quote Originally Posted by ttino101 View Post
    This little b&b is clean and the owner is super nice! It's right down the road from the showgrounds

Marriott Courtyard or Hampton Inn in Kingston. 15 minutes away down 9W. Dunkin Donuts across the street for that java jolt to get you to the show.

Green Saugerties Guest

Default Private lodging available in Saugerties

There is select private lodging available in Saugerties for HITS. My suggestion is to plan ahead and look at two websites
    http://www.welcometosaugerties.com/lodging.php
    and
    http://www.saugertieslodging.com/

No bedbugs, I promise.

Last summer I stayed at the Inn at Cafe Tamayo right in town. It was really convenient and a lot of fun. Especially the part of eating dinner at the Inn.

http://www.welcometosaugerties.com/l...inn-tamayo.php

barbara
    Arabian Clique