The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TRF - Starved and neglected horses

Ex-Racehorses Starve as Charity Fails in Mission to Care for Them

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/sp...rses.html?_r=1

And check out the 990's. It makes me sick. Where are the missing 16 horses?

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...06a88570-9.pdf

There is another thread on the Racing Forum about this, so you might want to post there. And I agree it's a tragic situation all around.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Here we go again. I'm sorry, I think rescues...ALL OF THEM...need to be checked out more thoroughly and their books audited. Perhaps a surprise inspection or two a year? By whom, I don't know, but this should not be allowed to continue. Yes, it will cost money, but it's the cost of doing business in a area that seems to have huge problems.

There are enough "rescues" out there that are just a scam to line the operator's pockets or that are run by hoarders. Somehow, we need to root them out.

Perhaps we can all decide to thoroughly vet out the rescues in our area and report to the authorities and the news media any that don't seem to be kosher. At least that would be a start.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I agree, surprise inspections would be a good idea. But I am shocked by this, TRF has a great reputation. When we belonged to Pony Club, we went to the local branch to see the horses and hear how they are rehabilitated and placed. A more reputable rescue I almost can't imagine.

This one is a little unusual in that it had many satellite farms and over 1,000 horses. I guess the problems came when the headquarters stopped sending enough money to the satellite farms to care for all the horses.

Problems with board oversight at a minimum.

Thank you. I will post up there.

I think this is a fine place for this. More people read Off Course than the racing forum here, and there is a lot of interest in OTTBs.

Poor Paul Mellon is probably spinning in his grave! He did so much to support the horse industry and so much philanthropic work.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Maybe licensing is a partial answer. I just don't know. Somehow, someway, the horse community needs to step up and find a solution.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I agree with Fugly -- the barns providing the care should not have stopped feeding/caring for the horses. That's not how to handle the situation. I am disappointed that a) people knew what was going on and did nothing b) the Board seems to have been clueless and c) administrative salaries were so high.

I don't know. If I had a deal with TRF where they would give me $X per year to take in some racehorses, and I had the land to do it, I might do it out of the goodness of my heart, knowing as a horse owner that it's not exactly a moneymaker, some of my own money would inevitably be spent on extra vet care, acreage maintenance, etc.

And then one day, if the $X stopped arriving, and suddenly I had several or dozens of horses to care for out of pocket, I might be in truly dire financial straits. And angry, that these horses were suffering.

I'd probably bankrupt myself trying to keep them up. But how does that help anyone, when TRF failed to keep up its end of the deal?

I am certain there are some farms where the owners gave up and didn't care too much for the horses. But I am also certain that one of the more angry owners was the one who contacted the New York Times and said, "I'm ready to fight."

It's an embarrassing and sad story all around, and to me, only gives further evidence that the racing industry is simply bad for horses, no two ways about it. Sorry everyone, I know many people here love racing.

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    I don't know. If I had a deal with TRF where they would give me $X per year to take in some racehorses, and I had the land to do it, I might do it out of the goodness of my heart, knowing as a horse owner that it's not exactly a moneymaker, some of my own money would inevitably be spent on extra vet care, acreage maintenance, etc.

And then one day, if the $X stopped arriving, and suddenly I had several or dozens of horses to care for out of pocket, I might be in truly dire financial straits. And angry, that these horses were suffering.

I'd probably bankrupt myself trying to keep them up. But how does that help anyone, when TRF failed to keep up its end of the deal?

I am certain there are some farms where the owners gave up and didn't care too much for the horses. But I am also certain that one of the more angry owners was the one who contacted the New York Times and said, "I'm ready to fight."

It's an embarrassing and sad story all around, and to me, only gives further evidence that the racing industry is simply bad for horses, no two ways about it. Sorry everyone, I know many people here love racing.
    I agree with you completely. No need to say it all again.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I would do the same thing for the OTTBs if asked and some sort of support was offered. But as you say, if that stopped, you would do whatever you could to keep the horses up. I am sure this ruined a lot of families that were only offering their help. We also don't know if these fosters called the TRF to tell them they couldn't take care of the horses anymore and if the organization chose to ignore their pleas. Where would they put these horses if they had to take them back? It is a sad day all around when such a highly respected organization has gone along the lines of other fly by night scam rescues.

We need to stop putting a band aid on the gushing wound and find a solution. I don't know what it is but I wish I did.

This is why I am involved with ReRun. I know in the years I've dealt with them that they are on the up and up.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

It's an embarrassing and sad story all around, and to me, only gives further evidence that the racing industry is simply bad for horses, no two ways about it.
    Right, because everyone knows racing people are all scum and no one in any other discipline or industry has ever used up a horse and dumped it. In fact there would be no need for rescues at all if it weren't for racing. /sarcasm

No other horse industry breeds as many horses for such short careers while putting them in immediate danger at their day jobs.

Creating useless horses is essentially what the racing industry does, and it's becoming untenable.

And yes I own an OTTB who was thrown away after 4 years on the track running claimers.

I own an OTTB who was sold after his breeder/trainer died. The family was in financial straits through no fault of their own (and I will not air their personal business here). They worried about him, because he is not an easy personality (Nearco/Nasrullah/Princequillo). And they were right to worry, but you can only do what you can do.

They found me after after I had owned my horse for 12 years, and they are relieved and thrilled that he has a forever home.

This just goes to prove not all trainers dump their horses. Some do, yes. And some rescue groups are not legitimate either. But when these things happen, what it most important is to concentrate how to make the system better and to prevent the problem in the first place. And that is not a quick fix.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

sorry to fan the flames, but DGRO, it's just not good enough for an industry to HOPE that someone good like you will take their used up horses.

There are good individuals involved in the sport, but the way the sport as a whole churns horses is just not sustainable.

Oh, I completely agree!!! I know too many OTTBs who ran their hearts out, and ended up at other rescues. Breaks my heart.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I wonder how many (indeed, if any) of the adoptive farms have misused the TRF funds provided? What sort of mechanisms are in place to ensure that the recipients are actually using the money to care for the thoroughbreds and not for their own personal horses' show fees? Or a trip to Disney World?

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but it happens with human foster kids.

No other horse industry breeds as many horses for such short careers while putting them in immediate danger at their day jobs.

Creating useless horses is essentially what the racing industry does, and it's becoming untenable.

And yes I own an OTTB who was thrown away after 4 years on the track running claimers.
    I take it you have never seen the short career of reining horses and what their joints end up looking like? QH industry actually breeds more per year. Every sport has horses that end up being 'throw aways' Not a good thing, but you can't blame it all on one industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I wonder how many (indeed, if any) of the adoptive farms have misused the TRF funds provided? What sort of mechanisms are in place to ensure that the recipients are actually using the money to care for the thoroughbreds and not for their own personal horses' show fees? Or a trip to Disney World?

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but it happens with human foster kids.
    My understanding is that recipients get $3 a day per horse. Can you support a horse - any horse on $3 a day, $90 per month? It seems that money has, at least in some cases been cut to $2 and/or payments have just not happened.

While that is NO excuse to let horses starve, I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich off this.

Again, this excuses no one. Not TRF, not the fosters. It is my understanding that there are some very good local chapters - like one here in central VA that have an inmate program - that are doing all they can and are better run.

But this is the lesson for all non-profits - you absolutely have to run professionally. Be organized, on top of your business/accounting side of things and NOT OVER EXTEND - as that is the end of most rescues and, unfortunately for the horses they have left. No one can save them all. But you can't "half save" any of them.

SCFarm (who is rather crushed by this news)
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com