The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default upper level prospect

I have a friend looking for an upper level dressage prospect. I am posting this here because I think the breeding forum might have a better idea of what is available at this price level then the other forums. We would just like to know if it is possible to find a 3 y/o+ prospect for under $25k? Something with upper level movement, and preferably a gelding. She likes the Donnerhall lines.

personally i think it is very difficult to know how a horse is going to handle the rigors of training year after year.....

i think i would concentrate on finding a horse that is very trainable.... that is athletic, with a good canter and a good hind end, that your friend really clicks with - this will help if horse decides it would rather jump

i think if you look at the above, and not get caught up in the flashy trots, you for sure can get a very trainable horse for under 25k....

heck, if you open up your breeds maybe way less. then you could spend the rest on training since that is the most important part

(i am no breeder tho)

You may want to check out Rolling Stone Farm's website. There always seems to be high quality dressage propspects for sale that are young and under saddle on Mo's site.

Hilltop Farm may have young prospects available as well, even some that aren't listed on the website, so you could contact Natalie to see what they have.

Edited to add I'm not sure about pricing!

If you are prepared to buy something unbacked, direct from the breeder then yes, you will have a large choice of horses. If your friend isn't confident enough to pick her future partner without riding them first then you may struggle. You will certainly be looking at a lower quality of ridden horse in your price range as most people want already backed horses and once under saddle the really good ones are easier to pick out so their price shoots up.

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    If you are prepared to buy something unbacked, direct from the breeder then yes, you will have a large choice of horses. If your friend isn't confident enough to pick her future partner without riding them first then you may struggle. You will certainly be looking at a lower quality of ridden horse in your price range as most people want already backed horses and once under saddle the really good ones are easier to pick out so their price shoots up.
    I think this pretty well covers it.

Thanks for the input. She is willing to spend some money on a trainer to get one going under saddle.

Our breeding program is aimed at Prix St. Georges and above. We have produced many FEI horses through grand prix.
    Able Spirit and Alacazam both medaled at the NAYRC and went on to show at Grand Prix. Again and Again and Adamant, both home bred stallions, won regional and national awards through the FEI levels. Waldaire has won dozens of year end awards through grand prix. We are bring along the new generation and are very excited about their aptitude for the highest levels of sport.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I think your friend should be able to find a very nice prospect well within her budget. She may need to shop a bit off the "beaten path" though

I have one if shopping in SoCal is not too far away.

He's not a baby and he is under saddle.

Try looking in the Pacific NW and British Columbia
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    (former)Chair, USSHBA Positive ID Working Group; USSHBA Steering Committe member

You have a PM.
    PennyG

Totally agree with this too! I think if your friend has extra money to spend on training, she is better off spending it on a horse who is working well at a level she is at. Otherwise, she may spend that money on a horse that isn't a good match.

Just my two cents.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

I agree completely with this as well. I think many breeders handle the pricing of their horses with no/not much increase in price from foal to 3, and then a significant bump when the 3 year old gets under saddle and begins to demonstrate its potential. As long as you buy before they are well under saddle, I think there are a lot of youngsters with tons of potential, with no need to give up having a well-bred warmblood.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

You might take a look at this thread:

Who do you buy your youngstock from?
    Posted by:
    KC058

It references many breeders of upper level dressage prospects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba31ovEbzjw

this filly is almost two in this video. Turning three and being started under saddle....very fancy.