The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kathy Kusner clinic--anyone?

I am considering riding in a clinic with Kathy Kusner. I am an eventer and, unfortunately, only have a novice level horse at the moment. But I have always idolized her. Just saw that she is giving a clinic near here and I really want to ride.

Anyone out there ever ride in a clinic with her?

I've never ridden with her but she is in my top 5 list of people that I would donate a kidney to ride with. I'm jealous!
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

She is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I've never ridden with her but she is in my top 5 list of people that I would donate a kidney to ride with. I'm jealous!
    Word!

Default details?

When? Where?
    Cindy

I would go just to see her! I will never forget heron Untouchable! I also love to watch her in "the Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit".

City of delusion in the state of total denial

She is a very good clinician. Be prepared to do a lot of work over speed bumps. It's a lot of work on basics but she makes the basics great. Your horse will "step like a panther" afterwards! I would think that especially if you have a novice horse you would benefit.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Default The "Amazing" Kathy Kusner

Kathy is a legend and has generously helped my daughter Zazou with her horses for many years. More than that she has been a role model and mentor for many, many riders, in addition to Zazou. She is truly a living legend, a kind and generous human being with nerves of steel. I encourage all of you to ride in the clinic. Kathy has so much to offer. For all you young female riders (males too) please take the time to check out her accomplishments:

"In addition to riding for the United States in countless international competitions, she was a consistent winner and leading rider at major national and international horse shows, and on two occasions was the leading international rider at Madison Square Garden. Kathy's many wins include the Grand Prix of Dublin, in Ireland (twice); the French Championship, in La Baule, France; the Pre-Olympic Grand Prix of Rotterdam, in The Netherlands; the Puissance, in Aachen, Germany (twice); the Grand Prix of Hickstead, in England; the Grand Prix of Wiesbaden, in Germany; the Grand Prix of Wulfrath, also in Germany; the Grand Prix of Ostend, in Belgium; and the Grand Prix of Lucerne, in Switzerland.

She mounted a successful legal case in 1968 to become the first licensed female jockey in the United States. Since the age of 16, she had been regularly winning unrecognized flat and timber races. As a licensed jockey, she rode races up and down the eastern seaboard and Canada and became the first licensed female jockey to ride races in Mexico, Germany, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Panama, South Africa, and what was then Rhodesia. She was also the first woman to ride in the Maryland Hunt Cup, the toughest timber race in the world. ABC Television filmed an award-winning documentary in Saratoga about her being the first woman in modern times to ride in a steeplechase at the racetrack.
    She is a licensed pilot with commercial, multi-engine, instrument, seaplane, and commercial glider ratings. She obtained a Lear Jet-type rating and became the first woman to work as a Lear Jet pilot for Executive Jet Aviation, which was the largest jet charter company in the world at that time. She also has aerobatics skills.

She is an enthusiastic runner. As of July 21, 2010, she has completed 115 marathons and 70 ultramarathons, including 20 races of 50 miles or longer. In 1997, she finished the Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run in 27 hours, 37 minutes.

Kathy is founder and chairman of the board of Horses In The Hood, a non-profit organization benefiting the inner-city community by providing lessons that teach skills and values associated with the care and riding of horses."Website: kathykusner.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcej-L63qY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QOQ2YiTwM
    winter hoffman

I did a clinic with her 2 (3?) years ago and enjoyed most of it - the fences in the advanced group were maybe 2' so your level will not be a problem height-wise.

What I did not like about that clinic was that people could attend 1,2 or 3 days - and they could choose which days they did. That meant that we spent a good amount of time in day 2 and 3 reviewing what we did in previous days for those who didn't start on day one. It was annoying to those of us who were there from day 1.

She was kind. Patient. And super focused on fundamentals. In addition to the usual wear spurs and have a crop even if you never use them with your horse, you should also be able to canter from the halt or walk, correctly bending the horse to get the lead.

I really enjoyed her insight and her exercises were difficult even though the heights were small.

Enjoy it!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Kathy is a legend... and is also known for being an exceptional clinician. I would go in a heartbeat (and I am very envious of your opportunity.) Please post afterwards to tell us about it!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Ugh. NEVER again will I clinic with her after her behavior at the one I was in a few years ago. Larosa90 was very kind in her description of the clinic.

Do a search on the boards for a previous thread on her clinics, you can find my experience with her there.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I LOVE clinic-ing with Kathy. Her approach (as I have interpreted it) is based on being clear and fair to the horse, applying consistent aids with escalating intensity and rewarding the horse with something he understands.

I use flatwork exercises from her clinics probably every time I ride. She is really good at explaining what she's after and helping you as a rider create a light, supple, forward horse.

Plus, she's such an amazing person!

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Ugh. NEVER again will I clinic with her after her behavior at the one I was in a few years ago. Larosa90 was very kind in her description of the clinic.

Do a search on the boards for a previous thread on her clinics, you can find my experience with her there.
    I have to chime in. I audited the one that Larosa and likely SSR did and was so disappointed.

The program seemed disconnected, confused, unplanned. The expressions on the riders' faces, trying to execute some of what appeared to be some zany exercises, ranged anywhere from angry to perturbed and disgusted. I really hate to say that but I'm just reporting what I witnessed.

Brydelle was with me and we left early. It was just not something we could bear any longer.

I say this while still respecting Kathy for all of her accomplishments as well as what she's done with Horses in the Hood. She just seemed like she'd not had a lot of practice as a clinician.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    I have to chime in. I audited the one that Larosa and likely SSR did and was so disappointed.

The program seemed disconnected, confused, unplanned. The expressions on the riders' faces, trying to execute some of what appeared to be some zany exercises, ranged anywhere from angry to perturbed and disgusted. I really hate to say that but I'm just reporting what I witnessed.

Brydelle was with me and we left early. It was just not something we could bear any longer.

I say this while still respecting Kathy for all of her accomplishments as well as what she's done with Horses in the Hood. She just seemed like she'd not had a lot of practice as a clinician.
    I don't know about auditing, but I've ridden in at least three of her clinics over the past...I think almost 10 years? And I've yet to have a bad experience. You should go for it.

Edited to add: I don't think it's likely that you'll find it "unbearable," and it's safe to assume she's had LOTS of practice giving clinics.

The clinic is at Fox Chase Farm in Middleburg.

Here is the link: http://www.foxchasefarm.net/details/...fm?galleryID=1