The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    I work at a shelter that receives 12,000 animals per year. Every human problem (divorce, unemployment, illness) can overflow onto the lives of animals. People often lie about why they are bringing their animals to the shelter. They may be ashamed....Points I would like to make:

1.Those of us that work in animal welfare try to find the one thing we as individuals can do, that helps us tolerate the disgust and anger about peoples' lack of commitment to their animals. My "ministry" is taking home the old unwanted dogs, usually they have health issues. This year I spent more $ on the dogs than I did on the horses.
    2. People that actively try to re-home their animals, or bring them to a shelter, are at least trying to insure some level of safety for the animal. Contrast with dumping it by the side of the road...
    3. The pet overpopulation problem in some areas of the country is improving. People in some areas are more likely than in the past to spay/neuter. Leash laws are preventing a lot of unwanted puppies.
    Still, I understand your frustration and disgust. I could write a book....
    I work at the Humane Society and it's a struggle every day whether to be glad that they are turning them in, at least giving them a hope for the future and not just setting them loose, and being pissed that they didn't even try to keep them. There are "few" times when there are no other solutions. Everyday, at least once a day, you hear a co-worker say, "I hate people"-

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    I said I have not had a job for a year. Read. For. Comprehension. I guess your opinion that I am out of touch with the economic situation in this country is not supported by the facts about me.

No...what you said was that you have not had a steady job for a year....that sort of implies that you've had some job, just not a steady one.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I don't have a horse. Haven't for 5+ years. Can't even afford lessons right now, actually.

So you really have nothing involved in this except that it bothers you to read Craigslist?....so quit reading it.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    Northern NV

all the dumping of animals!!! I can't look at Craigslist giveaways without seeing 2 or 3, or more posts every day giving away a pet because they're moving across the country, or their new apt doesn't allow cats, or my personal favorite, someone's two dogs were "taking up too much space in the apartment." This is just the giveaways section. Let alone the Pets part! I don't even look there because it breaks my heart to see the numbers that are being discarded. It's not too freaking hard to FIND AN APARTMENT THAT ALLOWS PETS-many exist. When I moved, I brought my cat with me-on the airplane-he slept like an angel the whole time. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. You don't see too many people getting rid of their bratty snot-nosed kids when they move across the country, but Fluffy and Fido can F off.

Good post...

Animals, specially pets have become a disposable commodity.

We're caring and feed a small feral/outdoor colony of cats. We also have our own pets & horses.

It really for me boils down to allowing animals to reproduce without control. That even effect us that have horses.

Catch, spay/neuter release is the best solution for feral cats. A good source of info is http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191.

As far as relocating and not taking pets with them, many don't even think about all the responsibilities that go along with pet ownership. Many don't care. We require in most places that animals get licenses. Maybe owners should get licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    LOL, don't confuse the issue with facts
    Oh, yeah, wouldn't want to do that!!
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    Northern NV

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Same way someone who profits of cow slaughter can be called a cattleman.

Not everyone thinks slaughter is the worst fate that can befall a horse.
    AGREED!

One can be compassionate to animals, have pets, own horses and still have no problem with slaughter.

cu.at.x, would you be a Peta member by chance?

I can sympthize with the OP. Its tough to see people supposedly giving away a "beloved family member." I'm sure in some cases its a truly devastating decison for the person giving the animal away having exhausted all options. However, I can't help but feel in many cases the pet has just become something disposable that will be replaced when things turn aroundin a few months or a year.

I've recently seen too many listings of horses that are VERY SENIOR, been in the family forever and are now being given away hoping that someone else will see them through the rest of their lives. How do you think that horse feels after being in your back yard (and part of the family) for a decade or more and is now hauled off to some stranger? Just have the courage to euth, please? Done venting!

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    cu.at.x, would you be a Peta member by chance?
    This makes me sound mean, but I read this whole post going to opinions like coloredcowhorse's...then I saw this and it made me . Thank you for that laugh when we're up to our eyeballs in mud, rain, and wind!
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

I agreed with most of what cu.at.x had to say in the original post.

But taking that to slaughter is a jump. It's not like the Craig's list posts said "take my cat or dog cat please, if you don't they will be going to slaughter".

Then we've all seen the same kind of posts when it comes to horses. Buy this horse, save this horse, adopt this horse, because if you don't it's going to slaughter are frequent sights on forums.

Default Bravo to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    I work at a shelter that receives 12,000 animals per year. Every human problem (divorce, unemployment, illness) can overflow onto the lives of animals. People often lie about why they are bringing their animals to the shelter. They may be ashamed....Points I would like to make:

1.Those of us that work in animal welfare try to find the one thing we as individuals can do, that helps us tolerate the disgust and anger about peoples' lack of commitment to their animals. My "ministry" is taking home the old unwanted dogs, usually they have health issues. This year I spent more $ on the dogs than I did on the horses.
    2. People that actively try to re-home their animals, or bring them to a shelter, are at least trying to insure some level of safety for the animal. Contrast with dumping it by the side of the road...
    3. The pet overpopulation problem in some areas of the country is improving. People in some areas are more likely than in the past to spay/neuter. Leash laws are preventing a lot of unwanted puppies.
    Still, I understand your frustration and disgust. I could write a book....

Thank you so much for what you do everyday. I cannot imagine what it must take for you to work at the shelter.
    I know that I haven't the constitution to do it, and I am grateful that there are people like you that can do it.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

FYI, there are other (legitimate) organizations that work to promote animal welfare as opposed to "animal rights" (PETA.) I have pets and eat meat so how can you accuse me of being affiliated with PETA? I'm about as anti-PETA as anyone can get. But that's what's thrown at people who care about the treatment of livestock in this country. It's sad.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Ok, continue eating your feedlot, grain-finished beef (by the way cows ARE NOT designed to eat grains) and I'll continue eating my grass-finished beef that I buy from the local abattoir. Thanks.

Ok, continue eating your feedlot, grain-finished beef (by the way cows ARE NOT designed to eat grains) and I'll continue eating my grass-finished beef that I buy from the local abattoir. Thanks.
    I have to say, I am surprised you can afford it while under / unemployed.

I *was* buying beef that is all organic, grass finished from a local rancher. Minimum order is 25 pounds at $250 (for a mix of cuts, including roasts plain old ground – usually cheaper cuts).

After my husband was laid off for a number of months, and I was hit with some vet bills for the pony, I just *can not* afford it any more. I buy very little red meat… but I can’t justify the extra costs at this time (already went ahead and cancelled the TV.. and the beloved IPhones…)

But back to the original point of this thread. People don’t always have the OPTION of making the *right* choice. The right choice would be the grass fed beef, but right now, it is not an option.

The right choice would be to keep every pet for its entire life, but some times, people just DON’T have that option, as much as they would like to.

Appsolute, I am very lucky to have an abattoir in the area that offers local grass-finished beef cuts for very fair prices..i.e. $4/lb for ground beef, $4.50 for stew beef and $6 for round steak. They also sell pork and lamb though I tend to eat more beef. The co-op and independent natural food store charge considerably more so it's worth the 20-mile one way trip once a month.

Appsolute, I am very lucky to have an abattoir in the area that offers local grass-finished beef cuts for very fair prices..i.e. $4/lb for ground beef, $4.50 for stew beef and $6 for round steak. They also sell pork and lamb though I tend to eat more beef. The co-op and independent natural food store charge considerably more so it's worth the 20-mile one way trip once a month.
    You are indeed lucky to be able to get those prices at all. Much higher here and that's for that terrible "feedlot/factory farm" beef....small town (1200 people more or less) and only one grocery store. Fuel prices now over $4/gallon so a trip to Reno (115 miles from my house) is just not in the books....don't even go the 70 or so miles to the nearest WalMart but maybe once a month. Of course, not having a horse to support makes it a bit easier for you than for someone with horse, kids, dog and house to support. And only unemployment to do it on.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    Northern NV

Grass fed beef has it's place, but remember that it is a very inefficient way to produce meat from cattle, to almost 1.4 to 1.
    Even figuring all that goes into growing, transporting, processing and feeding grains to grain finished cattle, you get so much more meat as to make them almost half again as efficient as grass slaughtered cattle.

Remember, all cattle are raised exactly the same.

The difference, you slaughter off grass at 800 lbs.

Those 800 lb cattle to be finished on rations go on to a feedlot for some extra weeks, eating a grain based ration and add about 1/3 more weight quickly and cheaply.

That is why, with a general cowherd the size of what we had in the 1950s, we can today produce 1/3 more beef, because of finishing them on rations, not slaughtering them off grass, that is very inefficient.

The cattle are all the same, raised exactly the same way, the only difference is the added short ration feeding period and slaughter as then 1/3 larger animal, producing that much more meat.

our local kill buyer is actually a fairly decent horseman

You lost all credibility with me with that oxymoronic statement.

Re: economic circumstances, I know. I haven't had a steady job in one year. Every month is a struggle to pay rent. But not one single animal has suffered because of me. I'd do whatever it took me to rehome a horse in my possession, or else I don't know how I could live with myself.
    Agreed. FWIW, I was out of work from July 09 through January '10. Through that period, between UI and part-time/temp jobs, I managed (admittedly, barely) to pay the board and other expenses (shoeing/trimming/vet/extra feed) for TWO horses - one on retirement board and the other being ridden. I even managed to visit the retiree (90 min drive away) every other week, though the only vehicle I have is a 3/4 ton truck (Aaargh, gas prices!!). It can be done. I did dip into my savings, but only a little, and I did NOT max out my credit cards. I did lose some weight (*G*) but more from worry than from not eating!