The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I can't take it anymore

all the dumping of animals!!! I can't look at Craigslist giveaways without seeing 2 or 3, or more posts every day giving away a pet because they're moving across the country, or their new apt doesn't allow cats, or my personal favorite, someone's two dogs were "taking up too much space in the apartment." This is just the giveaways section. Let alone the Pets part! I don't even look there because it breaks my heart to see the numbers that are being discarded. It's not too freaking hard to FIND AN APARTMENT THAT ALLOWS PETS-many exist. When I moved, I brought my cat with me-on the airplane-he slept like an angel the whole time. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. You don't see too many people getting rid of their bratty snot-nosed kids when they move across the country, but Fluffy and Fido can F off.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I fully agree.

Or they could be really responsable and euth the pet, that way you never have to wonder what happened. It's the route I would take, as painfull as it would be.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Default welcome to my world...

I work at a shelter that receives 12,000 animals per year. Every human problem (divorce, unemployment, illness) can overflow onto the lives of animals. People often lie about why they are bringing their animals to the shelter. They may be ashamed....Points I would like to make:

1.Those of us that work in animal welfare try to find the one thing we as individuals can do, that helps us tolerate the disgust and anger about peoples' lack of commitment to their animals. My "ministry" is taking home the old unwanted dogs, usually they have health issues. This year I spent more $ on the dogs than I did on the horses.
    2. People that actively try to re-home their animals, or bring them to a shelter, are at least trying to insure some level of safety for the animal. Contrast with dumping it by the side of the road...
    3. The pet overpopulation problem in some areas of the country is improving. People in some areas are more likely than in the past to spay/neuter. Leash laws are preventing a lot of unwanted puppies.
    Still, I understand your frustration and disgust. I could write a book....

Actually it depends on where you live, some places it IS extremely difficult to find an apartment (or other) that suits your criteria (ie, including is affordable) AND allows pets. Ask me how I know. Ime it is much easier to find a place that allows kids than it is to find a place that allows a dog, let alone a large dog, and let alone two dogs.

Often, there might be other extenuating factors or circumstances too.

Circumstances change.

It's not that Fluffy or Fido can F off necessarily, but that circumstances change and those owners might be doing their best to find Fluffy or Fido a good home.

That said, I do understand where you're coming from in general, for sure!!!!
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

OP, your post reminds me of the following, author unkown:

RESCUE HELP NEEDED ASAP!

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for an exotic rare breed dog, we were finally notified by the breeder that at long last, our number has come up, and... WE'RE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must IMMEDIATELY get rid of our children now, because we just KNOW how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be! Since our puppy will be arriving on Monday, we MUST place the children in new homes this weekend!!!

They are described as:
    •One male, white, blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Name is Tommy. Temperament tested. Current on all shots. Tonsils removed already and very healthy condition! Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little time and training, he will do well in a new home.

•One female, strawberry blonde hair, green eyes. Three years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Her name is Mary. Temperament tested, but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and happy (mostly.) Gets along well with little boys, but does not like to share toys. She is house trained, and would do best in a one child household.
    We really LOVE our children, and want to do what is best for them. I hope you understand, that ours is a UNIQUE situation, and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed by Sunday night at the latest.

Agree with OP, but as someone who was a renter all my adult life until 4 years ago, it is insanely hard and always more expensive to find a rental where you can take your animal(s). And all of them treat you like some combination of a felon and an ATM.

I always said it would have been easier to set up a meth lab in my apt. than to take my two elderly cats to a new place.

Renters are treated like the lowest life form in the world. It is truly hard sometimes, and I had a decent income. It sucks.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

RESCUE HELP NEEDED ASAP!

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for an exotic rare breed dog, we were finally notified by the breeder that at long last, our number has come up, and... WE'RE HAVING A PUPPY!

We must IMMEDIATELY get rid of our children now, because we just KNOW how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be! Since our puppy will be arriving on Monday, we MUST place the children in new homes this weekend!!!

They are described as:
    •One male, white, blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Name is Tommy. Temperament tested. Current on all shots. Tonsils removed already and very healthy condition! Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little time and training, he will do well in a new home.

•One female, strawberry blonde hair, green eyes. Three years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Her name is Mary. Temperament tested, but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and happy (mostly.) Gets along well with little boys, but does not like to share toys. She is house trained, and would do best in a one child household.
    We really LOVE our children, and want to do what is best for them. I hope you understand, that ours is a UNIQUE situation, and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed by Sunday night at the latest.

Thank You Mara, I needed a good giggle!

The SF Bay area is reportedly running over with chihuahuas, the aftermath of too much backyard breeding and the economic woes.

Somebody found one in a bucket left by the side of the road. I guess that one sort of fits in the category that someone gave some limited thought to its safety.

To keep this horse/farm related. We live in a small county-48,000 people. This last month we have had 4 cats dumped at our farm. I am making arrangements now to have them all spayed/neutered. 3 of them are less than 2 years old.

We are in a rural upstate NY county, yes New York IS rural. Routinely on Craigslist I also see the dogs and cats but also horses. In addition I have had folks drive up my driveway seeking if we would buy their horses as they are desperate. A schoolmate of my daughter's was asking people around school if they knew of anyone who could take their horses b/c they can't afford them.

At the height of the recession some folks were just opening the gate and letting their horses "go".

I would work 3 or 4 jobs to make sure my animals are not in danger. We have 20+ cats and all are spayed/neutered with the exception of these 4, which will be done in 1-2 weeks.

What kills me is when I see folks saying "pregnant have to get rid of fluffy or fido". Ummm, when I had mine, we had oh, 10 cats, 3 dogs and the horses. What are these people going to do if they have a second child? Get rid of the first one?

Sadly, one of our cat rescues/low-cost spay/neuter programs still spays/neutered thousands of cats each year. Yes, in this little county and they keep coming! I don't know if it will ever end but i will continue to do my part to make sure the animals dumped here are no longer in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Agree with OP, but as someone who was a renter all my adult life until 4 years ago, it is insanely hard and always more expensive to find a rental where you can take your animal(s). And all of them treat you like some combination of a felon and an ATM.

I always said it would have been easier to set up a meth lab in my apt. than to take my two elderly cats to a new place.

Renters are treated like the lowest life form in the world. It is truly hard sometimes, and I had a decent income. It sucks.
    It can be surprising, however, how one can CONVINCE someone to allow pets. I have twice managed to persuade landlords to accept a dog. In the first case, we took the dog with us when we went to view the unit. It was a VERY well behaved Australian Shepard. And this was a 2-bedroom apartment in San Francisco. When we arrived, they landlord looked askance, but we viewed the apartment and told the dog to "lie down." She went to the corner of the kitchen, lay down, and never moved or made a sound for the next 45 mins. The landlords were duly impressed, and while they did demand a slightly higher deposit for our pet, that was it.

In the second instance, many years later, they would "allow a cat but not a dog." We didn't have a cat. At the time we moved in, we didn't have a pet, but ended up "fostering" a Min Pin puppy to socialize it. They are darling, but can be yappy/nippy if not socialized. We ended up keeping the pup. Landlord saw it, said "cute, small," and not another word was said. We still have the dog.

So you can always try, and not just dump the dog!

Whoever said people weren't trying?

I mean, yes, of course there will be some who try very little or not really at all, but they are not always differentiable from a posting on CL, plus how and who is one to judge how much a person tried and how much of an effort is satisfactory?
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    To keep this horse/farm related. We live in a small county-48,000 people. This last month we have had 4 cats dumped at our farm. I am making arrangements now to have them all spayed/neutered. 3 of them are less than 2 years old.

We are in a rural upstate NY county, yes New York IS rural. Routinely on Craigslist I also see the dogs and cats but also horses. In addition I have had folks drive up my driveway seeking if we would buy their horses as they are desperate. A schoolmate of my daughter's was asking people around school if they knew of anyone who could take their horses b/c they can't afford them.

At the height of the recession some folks were just opening the gate and letting their horses "go".

I would work 3 or 4 jobs to make sure my animals are not in danger. We have 20+ cats and all are spayed/neutered with the exception of these 4, which will be done in 1-2 weeks.

What kills me is when I see folks saying "pregnant have to get rid of fluffy or fido". Ummm, when I had mine, we had oh, 10 cats, 3 dogs and the horses. What are these people going to do if they have a second child? Get rid of the first one?

Sadly, one of our cat rescues/low-cost spay/neuter programs still spays/neutered thousands of cats each year. Yes, in this little county and they keep coming! I don't know if it will ever end but i will continue to do my part to make sure the animals dumped here are no longer in danger.
    (Sorry, still on my phone and can't isolate text)

That's the part that gets me. Someone is preggers and immediately horse/etc has to go. Why?? I still rode while preggers and could still feed and call the shoer when } couldn't ride. The horses held down the pasture while I had whichever kid and life went on as usual. Gave lessons and still bought and sold horses. Never stopped me, might have slowed me down but I never quit on horses or dogs.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Cool Yep- As a renter, its just not that easy.

I have never had to give up a pet, but let me tell you, renting, and owning a pet, isn't that easy.

I have had my beloved "Fatty Cat" for over 17 years now. There were more then a few times in my life that I COULD NOT find or afford a place that allowed cats.

Once Fatty had to go live with a friend for a year (college dorm DOESN'T allow pets!), and other times, she had to live a life of secrecy!

Seriously, I have GONE NUTS trying to find a place that allows animals. Ended up with a place that didn't allow animals, just had to keep the cat out of the windows, and panic every time the land lord had to enter the apartment.

Now, I am still a renter, but in a house, with a few cats and a small dog. I DRED ever having to move, because I know issue #1 is going to be finding a place that allows my pets.

Even my current place had a NO DOGS! policy, but made a concession for my small, well behaved dog.

I agree, some just dump their pets, but really, don't be so judgmental, there have been times in my life I have been left sobbing, worried how I was going to find a place for me, and my pets to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

RESCUE HELP NEEDED ASAP!

They are described as:

That's priceless.

Ok, I concede that there may be circumstances where people have literally tried EVERYTHING but still can't find a place where they can take their pet/s. I just have a feeling that's not true for most of the people dumping their pets on CL and elsewhere. To me, a pet is like a family member-they're with me for life. Maybe because when I was a kid I always had a great love for my animals but my parents were, shall we say, not very responsible and I felt so helpless.

I did not mention this in my first post but I am especially disturbed by people dumping their horses at auction. In that case, I do not care what your circumstance is. Most of us have had financial problems but we don't all run to the auction to get a couple hundred bucks out of a horse that will likely be brutally killed. If you can't afford to keep your horse and you can't sell or re-home it, the most humane thing to do is to put it down. I have heard people use the excuse that it costs $200-300 to euth a horse-okay then, a bullet to the head is still better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalequus View Post
    Actually it depends on where you live, some places it IS extremely difficult to find an apartment (or other) that suits your criteria (ie, including is affordable) AND allows pets. Ask me how I know. Ime it is much easier to find a place that allows kids than it is to find a place that allows a dog, let alone a large dog, and let alone two dogs.

Often, there might be other extenuating factors or circumstances too.

Circumstances change.

It's not that Fluffy or Fido can F off necessarily, but that circumstances change and those owners might be doing their best to find Fluffy or Fido a good home.

That said, I do understand where you're coming from in general, for sure!!!!
    Agree. On all counts. With the number of home foreclosures due to loss of jobs and horrible medical expenses, sometimes it is very difficult to find a place that would take pets. I know last year we had 4 dogs (1 small one, and 3 large dogs) and it would have been next to impossible to find a place to rent. That doesn't include the 3 horses and 2 cats.

Sometimes people deserve our sympathy, not our scorn. Not usually, in this case, but sometimes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    all the dumping of animals!!! I can't look at Craigslist giveaways without seeing 2 or 3, or more posts every day giving away a pet because they're moving across the country, or their new apt doesn't allow cats, or my personal favorite, someone's two dogs were "taking up too much space in the apartment." This is just the giveaways section. Let alone the Pets part! I don't even look there because it breaks my heart to see the numbers that are being discarded. It's not too freaking hard to FIND AN APARTMENT THAT ALLOWS PETS-many exist. When I moved, I brought my cat with me-on the airplane-he slept like an angel the whole time. IT'S NOT THAT HARD. You don't see too many people getting rid of their bratty snot-nosed kids when they move across the country, but Fluffy and Fido can F off.
    I suggest you stop looking at Craigslist and you won't have to "take it anymore". Problem solved!

^ Note that I said I was looking in the giveaways, not the pet section.. I will continue to look at the giveaways in case I find something I could use that would be thrown out...i.e. something not living. Thanks for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    I did not mention this in my first post but I am especially disturbed by people dumping their horses at auction. In that case, I do not care what your circumstance is. Most of us have had financial problems but we don't all run to the auction to get a couple hundred bucks out of a horse that will likely be brutally killed. If you can't afford to keep your horse and you can't sell or re-home it, the most humane thing to do is to put it down. I have heard people use the excuse that it costs $200-300 to euth a horse-okay then, a bullet to the head is still better than the alternative.
    Maybe you should walk in the shoes of some of those people. First of all, auctions don't guarantee that a horse will go to slaughter....that's a fallacy put out there by the anti-slaughter folks. Secondly, even if the horse does go to the kill buyer many of them are also horse traders and have a wide network of people actually looking for a specific type of horse....if your horse fits anyone on that list he'll pull it and sell it for more than he would get for it for meat after hauling to Canada or Mexico...our local kill buyer is actually a fairly decent horseman and does exactly this. He'll pull one that has some potential...isn't lame, isn't ancient, maybe has papers that suggest it is decently bred, is a color someone is looking for etc. He may put some training into it and he'll for sure feed it up if needed...and he'll sell it for more than pennies a pound if he can find a buyer in his network. I can promise that the maybe $50 a decent weight horse is bringing at the local auction here isn't making anyone rich....in my case it wouldn't pay for the gas to get the horse there after you take out coggins test fee, brand inspection fee, commission etc.....I'd have maybe $30. People are not "dumping" at auctions to get the last few dollars out of a horse at this rate.

You may not care about people's circumstances but you might need to become more aware of them. I'm in the state with the highest foreclosure and unemployment rates in the country and it isn't going to get better for a long time....we are almost entirely tourist dependent and no one has tourist money, esp with fuel prices headed to the stratosphere. Jobs here are still disappearing, usually without notice. The majority of people in this country are 2 paychecks away from being out on the street if they are renting and not much further if they own.

Right now to have the nearest vet come to me is over $250 to pull into the driveway on a non-emergency call (he's 70 miles away...and that price is going up due to gas costs or he's going to quit doing farm calls). Then the euth cost is $150. And the backhoe driver to dig the hole is an hour away, charges $75/hour for total time...so around $225.......that's $625 to have the vet come euth a horse on a non-emergency. Emergency calls (while still available) are now almost $500 to drive in the driveway. Fortunately, at this point, we don't have to get a permit to bury on our own place (a landlord however, if you are a renter, can refuse permission so good luck if that happens). In some areas of the country it is now illegal to bury a chemically euthanized animal due to water table contamination so you have to cremate ($1000 or more usually) or find another way to dispose of 1000 pounds or so of rotting meat. I figure it won't take the county commissioners long to figure there's a revenue source if they require permits for burial. Yes a bullet is quick, and final and usually efficient. You still have to find someone to do it (unless you have the ability) and then to bury or otherwise dispose of the body.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

our local kill buyer is actually a fairly decent horseman

You lost all credibility with me with that oxymoronic statement.

Re: economic circumstances, I know. I haven't had a steady job in one year. Every month is a struggle to pay rent. But not one single animal has suffered because of me. I'd do whatever it took me to rehome a horse in my possession, or else I don't know how I could live with myself.