The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default any light wight distribution systems

I use weight distribution bars and the hitch weighs about 50 plus pounds I swear. Are they all terribly heavy? Mine is 6 or 7 years old....any body know if some are lighter weight than others. For the moment I cannot remember the brand I use but it is not Reese.

Mine weighs at least that too and I bought my trailer in 2004. I don't know the brand either as I had it installed at the trailer dealership when I bought my trailer. Not sure if they make lighter ones - I haven't seen any but it sure would be nice! My back would thank me that's for sure .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

its really quite funny....I got a new trailer so I could have a lighter ramp but I never thought about the weight of the @#$%distribution hitch,,,,so I still have a sore back!

Never heard of lighter ones, though some might actually weigh less if they have been shortened for a particular trailer's tongue length. I was told bars all come in one size, then hitch installers shorten bars as needed for the customer's trailer.

I am not sure if the bars could be made differently. Steel needs to perform certain functions in use, with bar sections flexible, so these steel materials need to be built to specs. Not just "any" metal or steel can do what is needed.

I could always tell the difference in handling, how the bars helped manage the trailer and truck. Glad someone invented the weight distribution hitch system.

They're all about the same weight. If you are a really good 'backer', you can leave the hitch on the trailer.

Take the spring bars loose, jack the trailer up until all the weight is off the WDH shank, pull the receiver pin and drive away. Of course, the trick is getting everything back in perfect line when you go to re-hook the trailer.

Or just get a truck that doesn't need 'em.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I don't think I could back up that precisely but you would have to sit the hitch on something. I am not sure I understand.

The hitch ball remains in the trailer coupler, so the WDH just hangs from the trailer. Need a little creativity to keep the shank level for re-hooking, but if you can get it worked out, its well worth the effort not to have to carry around a greasy, heavy chunk of metal.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I will have to examine this, thanks.