The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need field boots that won't brake the bank for 16inch calf!

Title says it all. I wear a size 8 but even when I was 100lb I had the largest calfs in the world. Short and stocky and tons of jumping makes the calf grow large Need a non expensive boot as I buy 2 pairs at a time, one for everyday work a nother for show. TIA

I have a pair similar to these, but my model was the Cambridge.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/camden-...X1-38781/cn/9/

The wide elastic gusset in the back lets them fit pretty well, at least for me. I also have a wide calf, and had trouble not breaking zippers before I got these. I only ride about once a week in them, so not sure how they will hold up to heavy use, but I am happy with them for me, and only spent $189.90 for them from my local Dover shop.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Try Mountain Horse.

forget boots and just do paddock boots and a nice pair of full leather half chaps. Easier to fit and will still look like you are wearing boots.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    forget boots and just do paddock boots and a nice pair of full leather half chaps.

Since when has it been easy to find half chaps for the wide calf/short leg? I have an easier time finding boots!

OP, you have my sympathies! I tried Mountain horse boots, the problem was that the short leg was a bit too short, so the widest part of the calf was too low and the zipper was still hard to do up. I have one pair of Ariat tall field boots that fits well, but they were close to $500 - yes, at that point I was desperate show season was on me and I had NO BOOTS.

I try different kinds in every tack store I visit. The only half chaps that fit are Dublins - I have bought two pairs and I wear them for day-to-day use. Save the $500 Ariats for clinics and shows only.

ETA: I'm 5'2 (5'3 on a tall day) and have calves just like the OP apparently! You can help the problem of slightly-too-tall boots by putting in heel lifts - this will also prevent major dropping at the beginning.
    Last edited by Blugal; Mar. 17, 2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: my stature
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Love, love, love my Mountain Horse Richmonds!

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    forget boots and just do paddock boots and a nice pair of full leather half chaps. Easier to fit and will still look like you are wearing boots.
    Could never do that. Not only do I train and ride for a living, but I prefer the look of tall boots. I am very traditional. I do have half chaps that fit, but none of the full leather ones do since I am short short short

You can get Tally Ho custom boots for $375, I believe. Really well constructed, durable, and look great.

I, too, have Hulk/Eastern-European-shot-putter calves, so I feel your pain. I would definitely check out Mountain Horse, as they have a lot of options with 16+" calves, get good reviews, and are (mainly) affordable.
    I just ordered the Tredsteps, we'll see if they fit my tree-trunk calves!

Ovation also makes wide calf boots
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a pair of leather half chaps that look really nice. I got them at my local tack store for like $60. They are Thornhill brand. They zip up the back and even have the fake tab sewn on the outside. They have the elastic gussets in the back for a nice close fit. You have to be pretty close to notice they aren't real tall boots.

I am 5"4 on a tall day with one calf that is 16 3/4 and one that is 17.

I do like the look of the Camdens.

I saw the Fuller Filly ones in person and they look nice but I think for a professional they looked a little clunky in the foot to me. Not as sleek and polished. They do look like a nice everyday boot since they look like they may have more support in the foot bed.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)