The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OMG, they even used a chainsaw!

More CL madness... must see video!
    http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/2268370942.html
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

At least he took the chain off and was shooting off blanks. So maybe he has some brains. She is quiet. I will give her that, but she doesn't necessarily look happy.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

I know mules are strong but I can see why she isn't real happy with that guy on her back.
    I hope she finds a nice home with a smaller rider soon.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

There's a fine line between dead-@$$ed broke and "abused". I think this piece of cheese crossed it when he fired up that chainsaw.

Gods grant that someone does to him, what he's done to this sweet little mule. I hope she kicks him square in the ballocks the next time he gets an idea about a new "training tool" he should use on her.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    At least he took the chain off and was shooting off blanks.
    Yeah - shooting a pistol while riding a bareback mule, next to a busy road, not wearing a helmet and endangering anyone driving/walking by if the sweet little mule should freak out and bolt.

Real fruitbatting brain surgeon, this @$$hole is!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Thumbs down

I could not watch past a few seconds. ASSHAT is an appropriate name for that idiot on the poor mule.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Yeah - shooting a pistol while riding a bareback mule, next to a busy road, not wearing a helmet and endangering anyone driving/walking by if the sweet little mule should freak out and bolt.
    A lot of things bother me about the video, but his lack of helmet is not one of them. If the guy wants to give Darwin a helping hand, who am I to complain?

That poor little mule looked so downtrodden like she had just given up and so so sad. Mules are supposed to be treated and handled a certain way but she just didn't care anymore. F&*king sh!theel.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

This is just awful. Poor little mule, that guy looks way too big to get on her. She sure is a sweetie. If I had $800 plus transport costs, I'd buy her just to get her away from him.

ah geez.. he runs a training business.. with stud service.. what a clown
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Very pretty Saddlebred mare on the consignment page - the little girl with no helmet and barefoot, not so much.

Thumbs down What an idiot

Poor mule, she looks overwhelmed. I hope someone gives her a wonderful home. I don't know about dead broke, I think she just gave up. Great trainer
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Just playing devil's advocate here, but...

What's so terrible about desensitization to a chainsaw (with no chain, I might add)?? Sure, he could have gone about it differently, but...

I do think he should not be so close to the road though, but that's not abuse to the mule or horses he trains. And yes, a helmet would be optimal, but that's personal choice.

Erm, and the studs are not his... just sayin.

On the other hand, he did seem too big a rider for such a small mule. But whose to say he hasn't just hopped on a her a couple times? The mule's 12, she may have came to him trained. We have no idea how little or how much he has actually been working or her, besides the video and few photos provided.

Suboptimal, cringe-worthy, not something I would do? Certainly. But abuse? No.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

No one noticed they also breed dogs? Why am I not shocked?

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    More CL madness... must see video!
    http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/2268370942.html

Uh, if the mule is that safe that you CAN run a chainsaw or shoot off of her wouldn't you want to show that? Can you do that off of your horses? Busy street? Yeah...can you ride yours bareback alongside such a street? No helmet? Yeah...but talked to death here about being an adult's right to decide. Small sized mule/taller rider? Yeah....but how many POA's and QP's are there out there packing adults around? And if you want to see really small...check out the burro's in places like Greece and Mexico and others....heavens, even Jesus rode an ass.

I don't see downtrodden mule...her ears are forward most of the time and she's responsive. Not sure I've ever seen a really happy looking mule for that matter...they just don't seem as expressive to me as horses so maybe that's the thing.

If I had the money and she wasn't so far away I'd buy her in a heartbeat....and not as some kind of rescue trip on my part either...she'd earn her keep packing kids around safely.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

that mule is worth her weight in GOLD ! she is such a little trier. If I did not live in an apt i would go and get her. Actually, she might like living in my walk in closet.

For some reason I found this absolutely hysterical...what a good girl. I think I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the trash heap/gravel pile parts of the video. I mean, come on you guys, this is like the ultimate Noble Rural American horse training montage video! Comedy gold in my opinion.

I love that little mule! OMG I want her! Don't need her, don't have the room right now anyway, but I WANT HER!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Oh my goodness that little thing is adorable! So, he's standing on top of a junk pile and is that a pistol he's packing? AYKM! I wish she was closer because I would take her in a second!

Im also not sure why people are freaking out so bad. Ya know some of us have BROKE horses, lols! I used to work with Mounted Police Horses (Qhs, drafts, drafts crosses, standardbreds and even the dreaded "crazy" Thoroughbreds). You all would probably string me up for the "abuse" we bestowed on those poor horsies! OMG guns, and flags, and tarps, car horns, motorcycles and SMOKE BOMBS propelled objects, POWER TOOLS, and flairs, FIRE and FIRECRACKERS and "riots" not to mention garbage cans getting tossed around and forcing them to wear "riot gear". Heck if I had a chain saw I would have used that too. I think ALL horses should just as broke as that mule. Heck if she was about five hands bigger they could sell to a Mounted Police Unit for a hansome price.

Its really kind of shocking that people are appauled by the sight of a BROKE horse...