The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help out the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever?

I'm not in the running for Tredstep tall boots or anything...I just want a lowly tank top. It's from Bad Pony Clothing, though, and they have really cute stuff (I have a baby pad and really like it). Maybe you will like the picture of the dashing chestnut draft x with his big white blaze and Fabio forelock blowing in the breeze?

Bad Pony
    -- need to "like" first
    Charlie is photo #10, the chestnut draft x with a big white blaze and flowing Fabio forelock!

There's all this CANTER cutie and Fingerlakes finest stuff--anyone want to join me in a former Amish carthorse turned rockstar riding horse group?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Amost too funny..Bad Pony has the same name and face as my Shetland whose name is..Bad Pony..for obvious reasons!!!

Great fun! What a stitch.

I have a cart horse turned eventer, too. You've got my vote.

I have a cart-horse turned eventer as well. I voted! Good luck!

I'm a sucker for a chestnut with a huge blaze! You got my vote.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Thanks so much, everyone! I think I'm going to brag about my nontraditional eventer in my signature after this.

Voted! He's adorable.

Love the "Cart Horse Turned Eventers"!!!!

I've always been a fan of your horse! I call my girl a Cart Horse all the time We dabble at BN

Have fun with him. Love the "unconventional" horses
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Go Charlie! Eventing for all.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Waah, I thought Winston was the best!
    http://useventing.com/blog/?p=14777

Dang, yours is cute!
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Default Is Winston a Standardbred?

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Waah, I thought Winston was the best!
    http://useventing.com/blog/?p=14777

Dang, yours is cute!
    Looked at the article, loved the story. Is he a Standardbred? It just said he was an Amish horse bred for trotting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

I hadn't seen the story of Winston before. What an inspiration! Thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks! Love him lots especially now that I'm pregnant, he's been such a love and sometimes a total momster.
    We have no idea what Winston is. Some folks say he may be all standardbred. But I believe he's mostly standardbred with a little bit of Percheron in him. Whatever, it works.
    A couple of people have told me they sell an Amish horse as either an American WB or an unregistered Irish Sport Horse. Just so they could get more money. Technically, yeah, you could get away with the Am WB. But a lot of people don't like the 'Amish reject' name. I'm proud that he has his chosen life and really enjoys it. Except for the shots and vet work and baths in cold weather and clippers.

Well, mine's an FFI cutie, but she loves her cart horse friends, so we voted for you too
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Let the civilized world go to the devil! Long live nature, forests, and ancient poetry.\" --Theodore Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Thanks! Love him lots especially now that I'm pregnant, he's been such a love and sometimes a total momster.
    We have no idea what Winston is. Some folks say he may be all standardbred. But I believe he's mostly standardbred with a little bit of Percheron in him. Whatever, it works.
    A couple of people have told me they sell an Amish horse as either an American WB or an unregistered Irish Sport Horse. Just so they could get more money. Technically, yeah, you could get away with the Am WB. But a lot of people don't like the 'Amish reject' name. I'm proud that he has his chosen life and really enjoys it. Except for the shots and vet work and baths in cold weather and clippers.
    I thought about presenting him for AWB inspection, as I think he'd do well...maybe after vet school when I have money! I do get a lot of people asking me if he's an Irish horse...they almost seem miffed when I tell them his real past. I guess they're just jealous.

I call him my fancy warmblood/Irish sport horse without the price tag. I actually TRADED for him, if you can believe it!

My friend had the best breed name ever.
    Pennsylvania Dutch WB
    But a lot of people don't get it right off the bat. Or have no sense of humor.
    And when at the AEC's and you do your write-up don't write that downE either. Even if you put a smiley face after it. Because they were announcing us at the dr and announced that he's a 10 yo PA Dutch WB. And I thought 'Oh crap, this dr judge is probably some uber-WB breeder who is now completely offended!' And the score reflected it ;o)

I grew up in PA Dutch country, so I totally get it! I think I'm gonna steal your friend's idea if she doesn't mind.

My pride and joy is a Clyde-appendix cross, specifically a former cart horse/former yard art/former Wisconsin dairy farm resident. I've had him since August 2004 when he was barely broke to ride and fat as a tick. No ground manners to speak of either. He's turned into one super cool dude. Love him to pieces.

OP, best of luck with your guy. He's cute as he can be. I remember when you first posted that you bought him.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham