The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clicking Royal Riders

I finally ordered some of these stirrups - contrary to GM's recomendations... but would I ever be riding with GM? Ah no. So my painful knees outweighed Mr. Morris' probably correct direction - and now THEY MAKE CLICKING NOISES. Today it made my horse "really" forward.. he thought I was clucking at him... HOW SAD!

Any-who has anyone ever had this happen?

Thanks.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

I have Royal Riders, and I've never heard them "click." There have been some stories on this board about people who had Royal Riders snap due to manufacturing defect. If mine where making odd clicking noises, I'd go back to the merchant I bought them from and exchange them for a new pair.

One other thought -- are the cheese grator or flat foot beds screwed down tight enough? Maybe the clicking is coming from there?
    Last edited by TarheelJD; Mar. 16, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Add extra info
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Call 1.800.800.4261 and Bob will take care of you!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Mine clicked a bit, whereupon I discovered that I had them backwards (abrasive thing forward when the stirrup was positioned to have your foot in it). In the process of turning them around I decided to tighten the screws on the pads since they seemed a bit wiggly. The clicking ended.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Royal Rider Clicking

Please give me a call at 1.800.800.4261, the clicking is a defect in the metal pad - of course I will replace the set. Bob Smith Royal Rider of Italy www.RoyalRiderStirrups.com

That happened to me when I bought my first pair. They were defective. Bob was awesome and let me exchange them for a new pair at my local tack shop where I'd purchased them, (he called the tack shop and made arrangements). I've had my current pair for around 2yrs and I love them!

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    That happened to me when I bought my first pair. They were defective. Bob was awesome and let me exchange them for a new pair at my local tack shop where I'd purchased them, (he called the tack shop and made arrangements). I've had my current pair for around 2yrs and I love them!

Just got off the phone with Bob. You are right - and he was super nice. I am so impressed with the fact a company will check the internet to make sure their customers are happy! Just WOW.

Thanks Bob!

Mine clicked at first, for me it was the cheesegrater pads settling in, I tightened them and within a couple weeks the clicking went away completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Mine clicked at first, for me it was the cheesegrater pads settling in, I tightened them and within a couple weeks the clicking went away completely.
    I tightened them too.. but still clicky. I hoped that would reslove but cannot ride in them because horse is NOT happy about the clicking.. He thinks I am asking him to go forward... it's kind of funny yet sad... He tries WAY too hard for me. Gotta love that.

mine clicked at first too then settled. i bought mine directly from bob but jsut let it work itself out and it did!

I too am impressed that Bob saw your post and responded - great customer service. I emailed them with a question when I first got my stirrups, and it was sort of a stupid question. They could not have been nicer and did not make me feel like a moron for asking!

And I love my stirrups - even if GM disapproves!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I tightened them too.. but still clicky. I hoped that would reslove but cannot ride in them because horse is NOT happy about the clicking.. He thinks I am asking him to go forward... it's kind of funny yet sad... He tries WAY too hard for me. Gotta love that.
    You also might try oiling them, it's my husband's answer for anything making noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    You also might try oiling them, it's my husband's answer for anything making noise.
    I had to show this post to my hubby. I got a good laugh! Of course I had visuals (I am SO bad) of walking around with an oil can.....

Thanks.... And if oil doesn't work do we try duct tape? Or can we subsitiute WD40 for oil?