The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Accounting software, Mac friendly - are any of the horse specific programs any good?

The long backstory:

After a long relationship with PCs constantly trying to commit hara-kiri, I bought a Mac about a month ago. I have been doing my accounting, including my billing, with Quicken Home & Business, but Quicken doesn't make a small business software for Mac.

I want a program that lets me make invoices, track payments, and track the things I buy for the farm by category - grain/bedding, hay, tack, supplies - as well as stuff for my own horses - lessons/clinics, vet, farrier, bla bla bla.

I've been googling around trying to find an alternative that is less expensive than QuickBooks for Mac (upwards of $200, boo), and I remembered a horse-specific program, Rendaivu. And of course, they don't make it for Mac.

The TL, DR punchline:
    Are there any other programs I should be looking at, horse specific or otherwise?

TIA!

Try QuickBooks Online.

The basic-basic service is $12/mnth. You have to enter everything by hand.

I have the slightly better $24/mnth service and it's worth every.single.penny. I can log in and tend to things from anywhere, my accountant can check it whenever needed, my business partner can log in without looking over my shoulder, no going "/headdesk, crashed computer again and QB files lost..."

money well spent. I'm the opinion some things are just worth paying for.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I run VMware Fusion and use Showbarn Manager within that.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    I run VMware Fusion and use Showbarn Manager within that.
    If you're talking the virtual host route (assuming the OP has a copy of Windows they care to install), no point paying for it:

http://www.virtualbox.org/
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I'm sure the designed programs are excellent, but I always get frustrated using/learning them.

I keep going back to data basing all transactions, with as many identifying terms as I can think up, on Excel. Then I sort/group at EOY and use HR Block Small Business for putting everything in the right format and reporting.

Brute force, I know, but it works for me.

The free online Rendaivu version is mac friendly and actually created on a mac. The Iphone/mobile app is going to be released shortly as well which will sync to this version.
    Horse Management Apps for iPhone and Android!
    http://www.rendaivu.com
    Capital Warmbloods
    http://www.capitalwarmbloods.com

I still use my old Quicken for Windows, and I run it under Parallels. That's a program that allows you to run any Windows software on a mac.
    Daxia Digital: for all your social media and online marketing needs
    www.daxiadigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by SBrentnall View Post
    I still use my old Quicken for Windows, and I run it under Parallels. That's a program that allows you to run any Windows software on a mac.
    If you don't want to purchase parallels and have a Windows install disk, you could also use Boot Camp on your mac to use Quicken.

The only difference is that with Parallels, you can access the Windows 'side' while running the mac programming -- with Boot Camp, you reboot your computer as a windows machine
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I use Rendaivu and I really like it. I use the online version and so far no complaints. I will let you know what my accountant has to say in a week or two

NB. VMWare Fusion and Parallels are simply competing software products offering the same type of virtual machine capability.

Both would allow you to run Windows concurrent as a virtual machine along with MAC OS (rather than boot camp which is an either/or solution).

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Just go through the Apple download center and you can find tons of programs that you can try that are geared towards your needs.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The most recent issue of Stable Mgmt just had a review of about 10 different equine management programs. Some include financial management capability. If you are just looking for accounting software, either QuickBooks Online or the desktop version for Macs work well for most horse businesses. As a CPA, I'd be happier with my clients using QuickBooks because it integrates well with some tax return prep software and the info can easily be transferred from the client to the accountant.