The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog won't leave injured friend after Tsunami

Lesson in loyalty....Japanese dog won't leave his injured friend after the tsunami destroyed their village.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/03/l...friend-behind/
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

it was posted that they were rescued and taken to a veterinary hospital. one of them was reunited with it's human family.

I saw this yesterday and it's been on my mind a lot! I know animal rescues take second place to human rescues, but I can't help but think of all the animals (on one of the pictures I saw, it looks like a jumping ring in the foreground... wondering about the horses too).

My FB page gives me updates and World Vets is looking for a storage area to set up their kennels. I hope the animal rescues can soon work and help!

Of course, I know humans must take precedence but I always think of the animals too. So many people evacuate disater zones but don't make a plan for their animals. I'm glad to hear they were rescued, I'd hate to think that someone would be so heartless and take the time to make the video but not do something to help them.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

That is sad, but also good that they were rescued. Can't stand YouTube comments. Any time you think it is bad out here just read some of their swearing and screaming. It's rude and pathetic.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

This is what I found on the FB wall of Kenn Sakurai, president of Butch - Japan, a NZ dog food company, who is donating food and helping the efforts to rescue the dogs and other animals.
    "Those two dogs are rescued. The one which came close to the camera is in the better condition. The other White, Gray and Black was weak. So it is in the vet clinic in Ibaraki Prefectre. The other dog is in the shelter of the same area. But please know that those two are just the tip of the iceberg. There are more and we need help."

I know people need the help first, but here again, some people refuse to evacuate without their pets. There are many efforts happening right now from various organizations.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I read another article about a guy with two dogs that got off their chains and made it to the second level of the home and survived. The owner said he would not bring them back to the shelter with him because it would be disrespectful to those who lost people in the tsunami.

I would think they might help. Animals are good for most people.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"