The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy smelly compost

My poop pile smells very very bad ! I have horse poop and chicken poop in my pile. I have covered it with a tarp and have added lyme to the poo....but the smell is rancid can anyone offer me any ideas how to get rid of the smell before the neighbors start to complain?

It's not hot enough. What else are you putting in it? Old hay? Shavings? Any other organic matter?

Compost should be hot enough to burn your hand.

You could be turning it too often, not allowing it to heat up enough.

Is your tarp preventing it from getting moisture?
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Smelly compost is either too cold or has meats/dairies in it.

Quote Originally Posted by chickengal33 View Post
    My poop pile smells very very bad ! I have horse poop and chicken poop in my pile. I have covered it with a tarp and have added lyme to the poo....but the smell is rancid can anyone offer me any ideas how to get rid of the smell before the neighbors start to complain?

nope...it will just stink until you spread it and for 4 days afterward

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

It shouldn't smell. Have you wet it? Is it hot?

Quote Originally Posted by chickengal33 View Post
    Major smell causes....

too wet......turn it and add several layers of dry material like straw, wood shavings, shredded newspaper

too compacted....needs turning to allow air into it (another way is to build the pile around at least one 4-6 inche diameter PVC drain pipe...has holes through it...allows air into the center of the pile)

has meat, dairy, fat in the pile...these do not compost well in general (there is a way to compost large dead animals but it takes a BIG pile and some heavy equipment).

Solution is generally to turn the pile and add some dry or nearly dry material to it, get air into the middle of it and don't let it get soggy wet.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I guess it must be to wet , yes there are shavings in it. It didnt smell till I added the chicken poop and I use the deep litter method all winter long so it gets icky. I just started with the covering of the pile a few days ago. I am very new to composting and holy moly do I have alot of poop!

I would also like to thank everyone for there relpys this is my first post on this forum !