The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ride with Tina Konyot?

I may be having a few clinics with Tina Konyot. Could anyone give me feedback on her lesson/training style? Thanks!!

She's honest and puts the horse first. She's not one to baby you or make you feel good as a rider or help you look good for the audience. She's there to improve your performance and your horse's performance and if you want to improve, you'll get a lot for your money. I'd heard that she was brutal but I found her kind and fair, clear, and funny. She's great honing in on whatever issue you're having or what you'd like to improve, and she's got great exercises to help with whatever issue you're having.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

I have ridden with her father Alex. He could be "tough". Enough said.

I was turned off by some comments she made in COTH about helmets... she doesn't seem to place a lot of value on safety, beyond what her insurance demands. That scares me.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I have watched her teach and while its clear she knows her stuff she is a little harsh for my taste (not harsh on the horse, but the rider...)

Sorry, but wearing a hat is a personal decision. Don't miss good instruction for an issue that only affects each individual. Therefor do not take a clinic with any European rider, because most will not wear helmets. By the way I am a helmet supporter, but just get the best training you can get when it is available.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015