The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kid-friendly instructors in S. WI?

My 7 year old son has never expressed much interest in *riding* horses, but he does like feeding them and brushing them, so last year I took him with me to the Midwest Horse Fair. He took one look at the carts and exclaimed "You mean we can DRIVE them? We need to do that!"

Alright, sounds good to me!

Although I used to drive myself, my steady-eddie driving horse has been retired for a while now (long enough that the kiddo doesn't even remember him driving). And I don't think he'll be with us for much longer, sadly

So I'd be looking for an instructor with quiet lesson horses, most likely, athough I might be able to arrange a part lease with a good friend of mine who has a great little driving mare.

Someone good with kids, and I've heard that boys are sometimes more comfortable learnign from men in a somewhat female dominated sport, so I'd have a slight preference for a male instructor, but we're willing to work with either.

We're south of Madison, willing to drive up to 45 minutes or so for the right person.

We were seriously contemplating lessoning with Wes Licht http://www.rockinglacres.com/ last fall, but then my youngest mare injured herself and I couldn't really spare the ime or money at that point. Has anyone here worked with him?

Hickory Knoll http://www.hickoryknoll.net/home.html is also nearby. Years ago I drove in a clinic with Mrs. Freiburger, and enjoyed it, though I feel her style is probably a bit too abrasive for my son. Mr. Freiburger seemed very friendly, but I haven't ever worked with him an I'm not sure if he's teaching these days.

So if anyone has any recommendations or reviews, I'd love to hear them.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Wes Licht has been teaching 4-H driving clinics for a long time. I don't have personal experience with him, but know a kid who was taught by him and she and her pony are awesome. I wanted to sign up my daughter to take lessons with him several years ago because we have the right horse for it (he used to be a driving horse), but never did because we don't have a cart and nowhere to store one since we board our horses.

PM me if you want to get in touch with my friend whose daughter took lessons with Les.

Quote Originally Posted by clm08 View Post
    Wes Licht has been teaching 4-H driving clinics for a long time. I don't have personal experience with him, but know a kid who was taught by him and she and her pony are awesome.
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear your friend and her child are enjoying his instruction.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I would recommend LaFleur Stables. It is run by a mother-daughter team (Marlene and Neva), but many boys and men show in driving on the Saddlebred circuit, behind Saddlebreds, Hackney Ponies and when they get big/old/experienced enough Road Horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    I would recommend LaFleur Stables. It is run by a mother-daughter team (Marlene and Neva), but many boys and men show in driving on the Saddlebred circuit, behind Saddlebreds, Hackney Ponies and when they get big/old/experienced enough Road Horses.
    I'd heard of them, but didn't realize they did driving. Thanks for the recommendation!
    -Edward Hoagland

http://www.belloaksfarm.net/index.html

Kathryn Barry teaches at Bell Oaks but also comes up to teach in the Madison area at several farms. She and Klaus are wonderful!
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    http://www.belloaksfarm.net/index.html

Kathryn Barry teaches at Bell Oaks but also comes up to teach in the Madison area at several farms. She and Klaus are wonderful!
    Thanks! I'm familiar with a lot of Makuba offspring, but I'd never really looked into their training and lesson program. Appreciate the tip!
    -Edward Hoagland