The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vaccine question: EEE/WEE +T?

It's early and my brain isn't quite warmed up yet - so this might be a dumb question...

I'm looking through vaccines online and all of the ones I see for EEE/WEE have tetanus included. It looks like you can't even get EEE/WEE by itself without having some other vaccine combined with it. On the other hand, you CAN get West Nile by itself. Why is this?

I'd rather not have to booster the tetanus if I'm doing EEE/WEE every six months but it looks like I may not have a choice?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    It's early and my brain isn't quite warmed up yet - so this might be a dumb question...

I'm looking through vaccines online and all of the ones I see for EEE/WEE have tetanus included. It looks like you can't even get EEE/WEE by itself without having some other vaccine combined with it. On the other hand, you CAN get West Nile by itself. Why is this?

I'd rather not have to booster the tetanus if I'm doing EEE/WEE every six months but it looks like I may not have a choice?
    May I ask why you are doing EEE/WEE every 6? It really only has to be done annually. Unless you are high risk??? Some vets suggest it, but not a lot. Just curious. And Manufacturer does not suggest it.... I can't find any literature that suggests it is more effective every 6 months. I am just curious.

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/heee.htm

"Adult horses previously vaccinated against EEE/WEE Annual revaccination must be completed prior to vector season in the spring. In animals of high risk or with limited immunity, more frequent vaccination or appropriately timed vaccination is recommended in order to induce protective immunity during periods of likely exposure. In areas where mosquitoes are active year-round, many veterinarians elect to vaccinate horses at 6-month intervals to ensure uniform protection throughout the year, although this practice is not specifically recommended by manufacturers of vaccines"
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

We're high risk. We have the giant, chicken-sized, stripey legged mosquitos here about 10 months out of 12 and they mean business! So our vet recommends every 6 months.

Edited to add: I have considered dropping back to once per year recently... I mean, my horse has been vaccinated annually or twice annually for years so he ought to have a good immunity built up. He's getting older though (22) and with the persistant mosquito population here, it makes me nervous to skip the booster.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Non-existing, sadly!

Intervet used to be the only one having EEE as a separate vaccine without tet, but they stopped it.
    I complained about it to Intervet, explained about how this forces high risk areas to vaccinate for Tet unnecessary.

The Intervet veterinarian fully agreed with me, but said unless there's more demand or they receive more questions about it, they are not considering bringing it back.

No other manufacturer has it .

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Non-existing, sadly!

Intervet used to be the only one having EEE as a separate vaccine without tet, but they stopped it.
    I complained about it to Intervet, explained about how this forces high risk areas to vaccinate for Tet unnecessary.

The Intervet veterinarian fully agreed with me, but said unless there's more demand or they receive more questions about it, they are not considering bringing it back.

No other manufacturer has it .

Bummer Thanks for that info.