The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Icing Alternatives - Rechargeable Solutions/Wraps?

I've got a horse that's tough to ice and am very interested in the wraps that get soaked in rechargeable solution. Someone had recommended Liquid Ice (http://www.equine.net.au/catalog/i160.html) on the "Post XC Protocol" thread, but as far as I can tell, it is only sold in AUS and NZ. They look like they give more coverage than other wraps, such as the ColdFlex Wraps: http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...2279#pnlMiddle

I would much preffer the Liquid Ice, as it doesn't need to be refridgerated, but are there any other similar products I should be looking at? Anyone know where I can get the Liquid Ice wraps in Canada or the US?

My husband had just had knee surgery and went back to Ontario for a quick visit. He picked up some of these http://www.vitacaremedical.com/defau...=6-1-1-0#Vita0

He bought 2 of the large ones for $10.00 each. I'm going to try them on my horse this year when I'm eventing. I think if I use a stable bandage they should stay on well.

Nancy!

Sent you a PM, Trinity. Hope it helps!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I got an icing unit from Ebay, not the same one as this but very similar and a much better price. (around $50) Worth looking around at the various brands. Normally I just stand them in tubs of ice/water, but this one's for Keebler, who is somewhat less compliant with that regimen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polar-Care-Ice-M...item35b0ae7b8a

Liquid Ice doesn't look like it would do very much actual cooling. Fifteen degrees isn't very much--the colder the better!
    Click here before you buy.

I use the ColdFlex wraps and REALLY like them. After about 30-40 minutes, legs are cool and tight and I have reused them three time so far and they are still in good shape. I just dump cool water on them when I put them on and the evaporation really does cool things down well. You would be surprised how much heat they pull out!

I would love to be able to use tubs of ice water, or a full trash can of water and ice, like on saw on Saturday -- all I can say about that horse is WOW.

But, my boys won't allow that, and I would love to have the machine like dw posted, but machines that make noise are a no-go too.

So, when I had two boys that had to be iced all the time, what I found worked best was to get the ice pack at Walmart that is marketed for people to use on their lower backs -- it is about the size of an average cannon bone and will wrap all the way around. It also has velcro straps that are really handy. I had a small freezer in the barn, and I kept it frozen and ready to go. I also have wrapped over it, but it wasn't necessary, but it will hold the cold for a little longer.

They are moldable, and come with a soft cover -- saved me more than once with an injured beast! Similar to this model -- http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ICE_...CEDOWNXLB.html

Good luck with it!

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Also interesting:

http://www.totalicetherapy.com/2003/index.html

Warning! This website may subject the shopper to a near fatal dose of Vanilla Ice . . . (will be hearing that in my head all *damn* night now!)

Libby

a full trash can of water and ice, like on saw on Saturday -- all I can say about that horse is WOW
    I had to go and give that horse a pat for being such a GENTLEMAN! This was a critter who had just finished, what, the CIC*** or CIC** XC, and within 10 minutes was standing on a loose lead shank, just chillin' (literally) in a huge garbage can full of ice and water up to BOTH of his mid-forearms!

The ice therapy machines make very little noise. And I've got LOTS of earplugs!

Hmm -- that may go on my "want" list then. I can't imagine I'll ever own horses that are so low maintenance that I wouldn't use one!

Agreed on that horse being amazing. I've been working events for a long time and I've never seen anything quite like that!

I am planning on getting some of the larger gel ice packs and then getting an old pair of shipping boots and making a pocket in them for the ice packs so that they are easy to put on (and keep on!) the horse, there is material between the ice and the leg, and the foam on the outside should keep the gel colder for longer. Now I just have to get around to doing this, and then figuring out some way of freezing stuff at events!

For now I have some of those cooling wraps, which do make his legs colder, but ice would be better.

I was helping out some Prelim riders at the last show I was at while they were icing after xc. They filled up regular sized buckets of ice water and then dipped polo wraps into the buckets until the entire wrap was soaked and freezing. Then, they loosely (tight enough to stay on, loose enough to have gaps for ice) wrapped their horse's legs with them and used a cup to pour the rest of the ice & water down the legs. They left the legs wrapped for about 10 minutes and then applied regular standing wraps. Both horses had no heat after the icing and had tight, cold legs the next morning (they're both prone to puffiness & heat).
    Has anyone else tried this method? It seemed effective and cheap since you can use polo wraps forever before replacing them.

I have these: http://www.amssaddlery.co.nz/product...58453d7da7a990 - they were free with something. I also have two or three bottles of the coolant. I like them when I have no access to ice or electricity and a freezer to keep packs and ice frozen.

In the end I still prefer ice or iced water. I have started training my two who will be doing their first Prelim 3DHT this year to stand in buckets of ice water. I think that I would be able to train the bigger one to stand in trash cans of iced water, but one is a pony and that might be a little tricky. BUT it would cool her core down fast if she had ice up to her belly! She's very good to handle - might be a plan.

Equissentials in Australia makes a neoprene wrap ice boot that seems to work pretty well. They have the gel inserts in the boots. They are expensive! I have to think that if you can get your boy to stand in ice water that's the best and least expensive route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventing Strong View Post
    I was helping out some Prelim riders at the last show I was at while they were icing after xc. They filled up regular sized buckets of ice water and then dipped polo wraps into the buckets until the entire wrap was soaked and freezing. Then, they loosely (tight enough to stay on, loose enough to have gaps for ice) wrapped their horse's legs with them and used a cup to pour the rest of the ice & water down the legs. They left the legs wrapped for about 10 minutes and then applied regular standing wraps. Both horses had no heat after the icing and had tight, cold legs the next morning (they're both prone to puffiness & heat).
    Has anyone else tried this method? It seemed effective and cheap since you can use polo wraps forever before replacing them.
    On the track they call these "cold water bandages" and they've been around for probably as long as there has been ice and bandages.

Makes a mess of your stall, though.

How does one get a horse in a trash can up to their forearms? And more importantly... how does one get one out? What I'm picturing in my head is probably not what happened.

That horse was such a trooper--they walked him right up and lifted his legs up very carefully, one by one, and stood him in this big garbage can. He didn't move a muscle and when they were done they carefully lifted each leg back out again. He stood like a stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    How does one get a horse in a trash can up to their forearms? And more importantly... how does one get one out? What I'm picturing in my head is probably not what happened.
    Lots of repetition - and cleaning up lots of spilled ice buckets

The old campaigner I'm riding (who has been being iced for many many years) loves his big post-xc ice bucket (we either use a knee tub from the track or one of the big plastic muck tubs, as he's not that tall). Usually I get the bucket about half full with ice/water (so it's not too heavy to move around), walk the horse up to the tub, then pick up the front feet one at a time, slide the tub into place, and put the feet in the bucket - then fill the tub up the rest of the way with ice/water, and maybe a splash of vetrolin...we jokingly refer to it as his "margarita". The old boy will ground tie in the tub and take a nap...but he knows exactly how long he stands in the tub and wakes up and gets a little fidgety about 30sec before he's due to come out. He'll step politely back out of his tub when he's done, but with the less well behaved horses, I usually grab a small bucket, dip a few bucket-fulls out of the tub, then reach in and grab a foot and help them out. There's a photo of the old guy standing in his tub after just finishing his first *** - and he's got his eyes closed and is dozing in his ice bath.

There's an old race trainer near us who says that before he ever vets a horse, he puts a knee tub in front of them...if they spook at it or look suspicious, he vets them...if they step right in, he walks away...figuring they must have a reason for having spent so much time icing
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I want a "knee tub"! Where do you get one?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I want a "knee tub"! Where do you get one?
    This site has them:
    http://stemmans.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Knee_Tub
    They also have shorter "ankle tubs"

They're pricey...but our barn's knee tub is probably 8+years old at this point and still going strong - and it's been flipped over and stomped on by many an angry eventer or racehorse
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I've done the muck bucket thing plenty. My guy stands in a muck bucket no problem... but I'm picturing trying to get him into a trash can... I can't stop laughing. I'm weird.