The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default test results--would you worm?

Just got a call from the vet about the worm test for my boys. We have counts of below 100 eggs in a gram and 600 eggs in a gram.

Would you give wormer or would you let it go?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I would never give my horse a wormer. OTOH, I would certainly give him a de-wormer

Thank you Rick. You beat me to it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Just got a call from the vet about the worm test for my boys. We have counts of below 100 eggs in a gram and 600 eggs in a gram.

Would you give wormer or would you let it go?
    When were the horses last dewromed and which dewormer did you use?

If you are past the egg reappearance period for the dewormer you chose, you have at least one high shedder. If you recently dewromed them, you might have a resistance problem. The high shedder should be one a regular program. The below 100 EPG horses could possible wait, depending on what they got last and when they got it.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Ditto foggy - need more info, but barring something exceptional, *I* would deworm the 600 horse, but not necessarily the 100 horse.

I WOULD do another FEC on the 100 horse in a few weeks. If you caught him at the early stage of adults reaching egg-shedding age, his count could well be on the rise.

wormer, dewormer - do we "de-weed" our garden? Some might, but most of us just weed

JB - good way to put it!! I love it!

Reminds me of a professor I used to have that used to get beet red in the face if you said a pet didn't 'have a temperature'. "Even if he's DEAD, he'd be ROOM temperature!" It was just his pet peeve. Didn't bother anyone else a bit.

Agree - more info needed.

LOL, the temperature thing bothers me too. I blame my PhD Physics Dad

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

wormer, dewormer - do we "de-weed" our garden? Some might, but most of us just weed
    LOL, I love it! In my case "weed my garden" is probably more correct than most....

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    When were the horses last dewromed and which dewormer did you use?

If you are past the egg reappearance period for the dewormer you chose, you have at least one high shedder. If you recently dewromed them, you might have a resistance problem. The high shedder should be one a regular program. The below 100 EPG horses could possible wait, depending on what they got last and when they got it.....

Glad to add to your amusement, guys. I giver wormer to my horses, not dewormer.

I dont know when they were done. I bought one last month and one last fall. No help there.

The vet (not large animal) said I could wait on the below 100 if I wanted or not. Otherwise, ivermectrin would be a good start. (Just tell me what to do and Ill do it--I know which end to give WORMER in but not much more).
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Well, in the Spring, you really would be better off going after bots and tapeworms, so that means Equimax (I refuse to use Zimecterin Gold) or Quest Plus. Yes, even on the low count guys You can't see tapes (unless you're REALLY lucky) or bots, so assume they're there.

So you essentially do want to deworm both of them. If you use Equimax, do another FEC on at least the 600n can even find it), do a FEC on them in 20 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Glad to add to your amusement, guys. I giver wormer to my horses, not dewormer.

I dont know when they were done. I bought one last month and one last fall. No help there.

The vet (not large animal) said I could wait on the below 100 if I wanted or not. Otherwise, ivermectrin would be a good start. (Just tell me what to do and Ill do it--I know which end to give WORMER in but not much more).
    LOL, apparently I "dewrom" mine.....fingers go faster than brain again....

If you have not wormed the one you got last fall, then he'd be due anyway....is that the one with the low or high count?

The other I'd worm as well, since you don't know the history, especially if it is the one with the higher count. You don't want to contaminate your place....

Ivermectin is OK, but I might hit them with Quest plus at this point (depending on their condition).

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    LOL, apparently I "dewrom" mine.....fingers go faster than brain again....

If you have not wormed the one you got last fall, then he'd be due anyway....is that the one with the low or high count?

The other I'd worm as well, since you don't know the history, especially if it is the one with the higher count. You don't want to contaminate your place....

Ivermectin is OK, but I might hit them with Quest plus at this point (depending on their condition).

Last fall is the higher count. They are both in good/great flesh coats good. You never know.

I bought Ivermectin based on vet suggestion. I will do something different in June. I printed it out since i wont remember what Im supposed to do.

As far as I know, still no Quest Plus...it's still on back order.

Don't just plan on "something different in June"

I would not use just ivermectin. IMVHO you need to also get tapeworms this time of year, which means Equimax.

12 weeks after you use that, do another FEC, and deworm, or not, based on that result. Chances are good both horses will be low. Then you'll do another FEC in mid-Sept or so.

If that is high enough, either moxidectin or ivermectin. If it's low, then use Equimax or Quest Plus after a good freeze.

The vet told me waht to use in June/Sept/Nov I just dont remember without looking. Good point on the FEC again--problem is I have to take a day off work to get one done though. It has to be delivered during morning business hours.

Please dont say "good freeze" afte r the winter weve just had!