The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long have you had a mare go without showing?

How many days was the mare when she finally bagged up or the backside became obvious. I know mares can have a long gestation time but was just wondering if they show along the way. And by showing, I mean an obvious stage not subtle differences.
    Thanks for your responses in advance.

I've had maidens that I questioned whether or not they were even pregnant up until just a week or two prior to foaling...no bag, no real belly (well fed so the round look was there but not nearly what the for sure pregnant ones looked like)...AND the little witch was one that continued to show heat signs for the first 3-4 months of pregnancy so I wasn't convinced at all that she had even settled. Small foal but healthy and grew like a bad weed once born.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

I have one mare that looks preggo at 4 months, one that never looks preggo until 10 months along and the rest fell somewhere in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    I've had maidens that I questioned whether or not they were even pregnant up until just a week or two prior to foaling...no bag, no real belly (well fed so the round look was there but not nearly what the for sure pregnant ones looked like)...
    Same here, though it has not been very many. One year I do remember a bet with my husband about whether a particular mare was in foal. He said no, I said yes -- I was right. But she really did not look pregnant at all, even right up to foaling. It was so long ago that I don't remember the details of when she got a bag, however.

I did just import a maiden mare who I had had bred in the UK, but not checked before she came over. She did not look pregnant at ALL (and still doesn't), but I did have my vet check her, and she said yes, so we'll see if she is right.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony