The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Is it Equestrian Chic if...

You've actually worn the breeches you're wearing as leggings to the barn earlier in the day?! My corduroy breeches are so comfy that I'm just adding a sweater and keeping them on all day. Real fashionistas would probably be alarmed.

I can't be the only one who ends up doing this. At least they're black and I ride a bay, so the hair doesn't really show!

hahaha go for it! I go everywhere in my half chaps and jeans (grocery shopping, hardware store, etc) and I always get comments about the "cute boots" I am wearing!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Go for it! I've been wearing breeches and paddock boots (with and without half chaps) for so many years in public that I don't even notice the stares anymore.

And has anyone else noticed what nice riding attire the new "skinny jeans" are? I bought a pair the other day, thinking that, if I didn't have the courage to wear them in public with my ueber-nasty stiletto heels, that I'd at least be able to ride in them. They feel just like my beloved Miller's EquiJeans that are no longer made.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Last week I wore my rusties while teaching... high school, not lessons. (: With an ivory blouse, faux-equestrian boots and two layered cardigans. And of course, my Tory belt with my horse's nameplate on the back. I felt very Ralph Lauren.

Edited to add: Then I came home and changed into jeans to go ride. d;

I wear my very worn FITS with half chaps and paddock boots to town. It is easier than changing clothes, esp since they are comfy. Actually wore them to a Dr's appt last week since I was going to try a horse near there after the appt. Don't know if anyone noticed but nobody said anything.

But then again, I am bad about wearing mis-matched socks to work and seldom hear anything. Though my main tech notices; she just writes it off as it being me ;-)

Oh, and at Christmas time I were a santa hat with flashing lights. So far in the 4 yrs I have been doing this I have only had 1 person each year comment on it.

Either people are blind, don't care, or don't know what to say?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Last week I wore my rusties while teaching... high school, not lessons. (: With an ivory blouse, faux-equestrian boots and two layered cardigans. And of course, my Tory belt with my horse's nameplate on the back. I felt very Ralph Lauren.

Edited to add: Then I came home and changed into jeans to go ride. d;
    Tres cute outfit.

I use my riding attire ALL the time as "street clothes". I've spent most of my life in breeches, at this point they feel more comfortable than jeans, shorts, skirts, etc. you name it. Sad fact that I finally admitted to myself the other day.

I just use my Dubarries or other high boots (not riding boots though, those were made for the saddle, sure not made for walking! Ouch!) and bless the new Equestrian-chic movement for my continued comfort throughout street *and* barn duties.

I wear my jods to the store sometimes if I don't feel like changing.

And ESG, skinny jeans are AWESOME riding pants!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Yes, I have bought skinny jeans specifically for riding. They don't even have that seam that regular jeans do that wears the saddle seat, plus they fit nicely under half chaps. And are a better material than many breeches.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

It probably looks cool and smells...um...authentic!