The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Corgi Needs a Wheelchair

I have an 11 year old Corgi with hip problems. One side worse than the other and because she is still the happy-go-lucky dog she has always been, we are not considering putting her down. She is not in pauin.. she just cannot get around and is starting to drag one of her back legs.

Has anyone purchased a doggie wheel chair? Please tell me what you know. Also - can a (girl) dog go to the bathroom while strapped into one of these?

My boxer has one. I got it off of Ebay used, for $75. Yes they can go the bathroom. They adjust to the chair. It takes some training but they get it.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

One of our dachshunds had one when he went down with disc problems. He adjusted really quickly. They do figure out how to go potty in them. I would recommend putting booties on her hind feet as they tend to drag and can develop sores. We also put down a doggie bed for Rascal, the dachshund. He learned to get his front half on the bed so he could lay down and nap.

I know they are now lighter than they used to be. And check on ebay for the manufacturers who sell there to compare prices.

My vets at Briarcliff animal hospital in Atlanta donated one to a dog at a rescue for me. The dog who originally had the wheelchair had died, and his owner left the chair with my vet so that a needy dog could have it.

So check with vet hospitals and see if they have any sitting in the attic that some nice person left with them after her/his dog died.

One of my vets took in a mini dachshund after the owners left her at vet's when she became disabled. The little dog now has a wheelchair and works in the vet's office as a greeter.

So check ebay, check the vets in your town, and you might find a good deal on a chair.

And does your dog have hip displasia or spinal problems? For hip displasia, there are operations and/or drugs which can help. With some spinal problems, an operation can correct the problem totally.

Check CorgiAid. You may be able to get a wheelchair for her for little to no cost, and there are a ton of resources on there for those of us fortunate enough to have a Corgi in our lives.
    www.corgiaid.org
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I just ordered one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOG-WHEELCHAIR-J...item3365f3d54d

I figured that since I have 4 Corgis (1 was found at the SPCA) and will Always have them.. I might as well get one to keep. I was a bit sticker shocked though. These things go all the way up to $500.00+

Edited to add:
    This is what my girl does when she firsts gets up from sleeping:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahS9-Oy2Iuk&feature=fvsr

I think I am going to put up a "Corgi Aide" envelope on my desk at work!

sheeesh - broken Dad... broken husband... and now a broken dog!

Corgi's are great - you can't just have one.
    You said hips but are you aware of DM in the Corgi breed? It's pretty prevalent. I'm pretty sure the dog in the vid posted has it. I'm holding my breath for our 11 yr old girl.

I also am thinking DM. I have an 11 year old corgi with back issues. We got her a chair from Eddie's Wheels and boots from Tammy and Teddy's. Boots that fit short fat paws were almost impossible to find. I tried every where.
    Pamela Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaK View Post
    Corgi's are great - you can't just have one.
    You said hips but are you aware of DM in the Corgi breed? It's pretty prevalent. I'm pretty sure the dog in the vid posted has it. I'm holding my breath for our 11 yr old girl.
    She has not been tested for DM specifically, but since there is no cure for it and treatment is much the same... this is the direction we are going for her. According to the vet she needs to get more exercise (with wheelchair) and only other offerings were pain meds (much like aspirin) which she does not seem to need, vit E and B. Despite all - she is just the happiest little Corgi.. but I know she has been missing her buddies who guard our small flock of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by belleellis View Post
    I also am thinking DM. I have an 11 year old corgi with back issues. We got her a chair from Eddie's Wheels and boots from Tammy and Teddy's. Boots that fit short fat paws were almost impossible to find. I tried every where.
    Please tell me more about 'Tammy and Teddy's'. Where are they located - web site, e-bay???

Never mind - I found it!! Thanks!
    Last edited by equusvilla; Mar. 15, 2011 at 05:51 PM.

I have worked with lots of dogs in carts. Usually due to back/disc disease but a good friend of mine had her old boxer in one for over a year for another problem. They do GREAT. And can run faster than they could with 4 good legs!

You can google dog wheel chairs, canine carts, etc. Of course I can't remember ANY of the companies right now and I am not at work to see if I have some in my files there.

Good luck.

Eddie's wheels also has a used cart section. Here it is:

http://eddieswheels.com/carts/used-carts/

Quote Originally Posted by equusvilla View Post
    Please tell me more about 'Tammy and Teddy's'. Where are they located - web site, e-bay???

Never mind - I found it!! Thanks!
    Glad you found it. Super super nice lady. The boots stay on my small corgi. I could not find any others that did.
    I need to order some inside boots from her soon.
    Pamela Ellis

Default To see the one we bought..

go here:

http://equusvilla.blogspot.com/2011/03/fix-it-god.html

We are still waiting for it to arrive.. but I will let you know how it goes! ALso - I had no idea that the animal wheel chairs are made for so many animals..as posted on the above link!!

Agh, I did not need to find the CorgiAide benefit auction!

(I have a corgi who is fat and in need of something to herd, and who needs to learn that is NOT the next-door neighbor's horses! Fortunate, Chico at least is a nice quiet horse who stands and just seems rather puzzled by these funny animals trying to drive him.)