The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses Raided Feed Room

So my mule pulled the gate open and let my 2 horses and himself into the area we keep the hay. In that area I had a 5 gallon bucket 3/4+ full with grain. They of course found that and helped themselves to alfalfa mix hay. Needless to say nobody was interested in food this morning and I wasn't offering any. My horses and mule get grain only as a treat and are not used to free choice hay. The hay they ate is what they are used to eating. --SO-- I have been checking on everyone each hour and they are walking around fine with no distended bellies, sweat or discomfort at all. How long before symptoms might show? At the first sign I will call the vet.

Watch for founder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I might even get those horses standing in pans of icewater if I could.
    Symptoms of founder are standing with front feet extended forward or any lameness.
    This is very serious!!!!!
    "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of passions." David Hume

Call the vet now and at least let them know what is up. Depending on the grain they stole the vet may or may not have suggestions for you other than watch and wait.

That is what you get for having a smart mule!

They are outside standing in deep snow and being here in Minnesota it is like ice water. I am watching for any signs out of the ordinary. This happened sometime overnight and they were done eating and out of the feed area long before I came in to feed at 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    So my mule pulled the gate open and let my 2 horses and himself into the area we keep the hay. In that area I had a 5 gallon bucket 3/4+ full with grain. They of course found that and helped themselves to alfalfa mix hay. Needless to say nobody was interested in food this morning and I wasn't offering any. My horses and mule get grain only as a treat and are not used to free choice hay. The hay they ate is what they are used to eating. --SO-- I have been checking on everyone each hour and they are walking around fine with no distended bellies, sweat or discomfort at all. How long before symptoms might show? At the first sign I will call the vet.
    Since the hay is what they are normally eating anyway that is unlikely to be a problem....the bacteria in their guts are accustomed to that type of hay and will digest it just fine. The potential problem is the grain....depending on how much each of them ate of it...if shared equally it is a bit much but not a huge amount and they are probably OK (good that they are standing in snow though as that would reduce chances for founder). I'd call your vet and let him know what they did. The ideal would be to know when and how much each got but that isn't happening. You could have them tubed and a big dose of mineral oil put down to slick things up and encourage rapid passage but that's only useful (as far as I know) when you can do it pretty quickly after they eat it. A 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full would be a bit less than 4 gallons...spread evenly between three animals that's about a 3 qt scoop and a half each...maybe not too much for them each to tolerate.

Better lock on the door.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Where I boarded at once, my Arabian got out of his stall and into someone grain bin (which they stupidly left in the aisle-way with no lid). There was 100#'s of corn/oats mix gone and he shockingly had no problems.
    Needless to say I threw a fit to the owner. He actually tried to make me pay for the feed that was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    I hope everything goes well with this. I'd be worried sick and I am sure you are worried too.
    Yes to a bigger and/or better lock on the gate
    Naughty mule.
    Originally Posted by sketcher
    Oh THANK GOD. For a moment I thought no one would kick her when she was down

I know a 5 gallon bucket isn't a lot and I know it looked like it was dragged all over in the quest to eat it. The dirt is deep and also lots of loose hay bits in it as well. My hope is in their desire to get into it all at once that most of it was spilled and trampled into the dirt. I use the portable horse round pen panels and had it chained shut to a post, but that darned mule can be a devil. Needless to say it is wired shut from now on and I will not keep any grain in there now. So far they are still fine and hopefully I will be at ease by bedtime. Thanks guys.

I was wondering about their evening feeding??? I thought just 1/2 of the hay I would normally give??

Default something like this happened to me

Hi CA:

I had this happen not too long ago. Fortunately, I had no ill effects from it. Mine did stand in snow all day. I gave them NO grain for 24 hrs, then only 1/2 ration for next day, but plenty of hay. Good luck to you

PKN

3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of grain amongst 3 horses really isn't much. As much as I'm all for calling the vet asap in feed room raids, even I wouldn't worry much about this one. Of course, always safer to call than assume things will be ok.

Am I the only one who thinks the 3 of them did not share the grain? Seriously, who'd think they took turns at eating 1/3 each? More likely the dominant one got the lion share and the other 2 got whatever was spilled around.

True, very possible, but if the thing was dumped over and scattered, as appears to be the case, then yes, I would think that at least 2 were eating, and probably not all got eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by clm08 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the 3 of them did not share the grain? Seriously, who'd think they took turns at eating 1/3 each? More likely the dominant one got the lion share and the other 2 got whatever was spilled around.
    After seeing the area in the light of day I could see grain spilled and ground into the dirt. Since they are all fine I am thinking that it was a short feeding frenzy and most of it was spilled in everyone's frantic attempts to get at the bucket. I will not keep more than a tiny bit of grain in there from now on. So far everyone is fine. I know symptoms of founder can show up days afterward so I am still watching.