The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Adequan $60/vial form vet, won't write a script

Title says it all.

My vet charges $60 for a 5ml vial of Adequan and he doesn't write perscription so you can get it else where.

So the recomended dosing 7, 5ml for $420. Smart pak sells it for $313

I'm very sad.. Any suggestions?

Some vets will price match, just have to show them the catalog. Have you tried talking to your vet about the extreme difference in price?

I'll give it a shot, he is charging a little over $15 more per vial!

Quote Originally Posted by kgro632 View Post
    Title says it all.
    So the recomended dosing 7, 5ml for $420. Smart pak sells it for $313
    PetMedsnMore sells that for $282.99 with free shipping.
    http://www.petmedsnmore.com/pmm/stor...-P355C189.aspx
    Daxia Digital: for all your social media and online marketing needs
    www.daxiadigital.com

So this is interesting...

I just talked to another vet that said, it is illegal for Texas Vets to write perscriptions to out of state pharmacies. That they can only write perscriptions to pharmacies that are in the state of Texas. They must have a TX address.

Thoughts?

He HAS to write you a prescription. It is law. No matter what state he is in. If he still refuses to, go to the state board. (Gee, I hate having to write that.)

BUT, having said that, unless I order several thousands of dollars of Adequan at a time, I can buy it from Valley Vet for a few dollars more than what I pay Lutipold to order the same. It has to do with volume pricing. And some vets (like self here) can't afford to tie up thousands of dollars of inventory like that.

But do approach him on both the price matching, and if that fails, remind him that he MUST write you a prescription if you request it.

Quote Originally Posted by kgro632 View Post
    So this is interesting...

I just talked to another vet that said, it is illegal for Texas Vets to write perscriptions to out of state pharmacies. That they can only write perscriptions to pharmacies that are in the state of Texas. They must have a TX address.

Thoughts?
    Of course this posted just after I posted mine.
    True, sort of. The pharmacy must have a license in that state in order to ship to an address in that state.

However, he still has to write you the script. Whether or not Smartpac, etc can fill it for you is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Of course this posted just after I posted mine.
    True, sort of. The pharmacy must have a license in that state in order to ship to an address in that state.

However, he still has to write you the script. Whether or not Smartpac, etc can fill it for you is another matter.
    See, I told him that Smartpak is licensed in all 50 states, but he said no. The mailing address has to be a TX one. He said it was the Texas Board of Pharmacology that made that law....

Is there any pharmacies in TX? There must be, but so far Valley Vet, pet meds, Smartpak none has a TX address.

He thought that Valley Vet had one, just got a PO box here in Texas, but they don't.

Can you get another vet to write you a scrip? I'm in Texas and even though my small animal gives me a hard time about online pharmacies, he will price match. My horse vet doesn't care, he will write me a scrip for whatever pharmacy I want.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    He HAS to write you a prescription. It is law. No matter what state he is in. If he still refuses to, go to the state board. (Gee, I hate having to write that.)

BUT, having said that, unless I order several thousands of dollars of Adequan at a time, I can buy it from Valley Vet for a few dollars more than what I pay Lutipold to order the same. It has to do with volume pricing. And some vets (like self here) can't afford to tie up thousands of dollars of inventory like that.

But do approach him on both the price matching, and if that fails, remind him that he MUST write you a prescription if you request it.

Depends on the state, not all states require this, but laws are changing, so best to check specifically with the state in question

This person put together a good summary, but it might not be up to date....
    http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/legal.htm
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    Depends on the state, not all states require this, but laws are changing, so best to check specifically with the state in question

This person put together a good summary, but it might not be up to date....
    http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/legal.htm
    Texas does not require vets to write scripts for meds. They can but they have the ability to dispense themselves. There fore it is not required.

Just called my vet. They will not write perscriptions or price match.

Guess I'm paying the $60, Gosh that chaps my ass!

You might want to just check the state board to be sure. All other professions are required in all states to write scripts for "stuff". Your eye doctor cannot require you to buy contacts, etc from only them. Your doctor cannot require you to fill scripts only from the pharmacy in their office building, etc.

Call the state board, both of vet med and of pharmacy.

Call a different vet. Usually, if you tell them the situation they'll write a script for it without seeing your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLuna View Post
    Call a different vet. Usually, if you tell them the situation they'll write a script for it without seeing your horse.
    It is illegal in any state for a vet to write a prescription for an animal they have not seen. To write a script you must establish a valid veterinarian/client/patient relationship.

Will some vets do it anyway? probably? Have veterinarians lost their license for things like this? YES!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

What state is this in? The vet that does this risks losing his/her license. A vet/client/patient relationship MUST exist. Meaning the vet that writes the script MUST have examined the horse. They can't just take your word for it.

I'd be getting a new vet.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Which is illegal right there.
    A prescription requires a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

same here..that would be the last time that vet saw any of my horses!

Call a different vet to come check out your horse (and be your new vet), and write you a scrip. The cost of a farm call will be less than what the difference is other vet is trying to charge you. Just make sure you let the new vet know before they come out, that what prompted you wanting to change vets is their refusal to write a prescription for Adequan or price match, and verify that they won't have a problem doing that during the course of your relationship.