The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question cut above coronary band - need some feedback on the healing process

my mare cut herself above the coronary band a week ago. we put her on oral antibiotics right away. i was applying neosporine and for the first few days it seemed to be getting better. then i switched to wonder dust and whether by coincidence or not, it started bleeding again. so we switched back to neosporine but it's still seeping serum which seems to be mixed with some blood. the leg is not swollen and she doesn't seem to be experiencing any significant pain. but it's a week later and i guess i was expecting that by now it would be drying up.

we decided to stop neosporine tonight and see if the wound starts drying up by itself. i realize that the coronary band area cuts are harder to heal but i don't actually have any hands on experience dealing with a cut as serious as this one in that area and i'm not sure if this is normal or if i should be thinking of calling the vet out (got the oral antibiotics via telephone from the clinic, they didn't actually come out to see her).

any thoughts?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

It's hard to dry up when you keep putting wet stuff on it. I would spray with alu-shield.

yeah, i hear you. but wonder dust isn't "wet." do you think wonder dust aggravated the wound? i was worried about proud flesh forming.

i'm not familiar with alu-shield but will look it up.

Wonder dust is devil dust in my book. I hate the stuff. I would guess it irritated it but don't know for sure. Blu-kote works too.

I'd like to hear the thoughts on this as well. We have a mare here that also has a cut there and it is taking a loooooong time to heal. And unfortunately every time we take her out to hand walk her she throws a fit and the cut pops open again and starts oozing blood. Very annoying...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

That's a tough spot. My gelding has a cut there now and it's hard to keep it scabbed over. Every time he walks, that joint flexes and he tears the scab off. I tried wrapping and spraying it but gave up after a week. It's now healing nicely on its own, just taking a while.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Wonder dust is caustic and will actually slow down the process. I dealt with a really bad cut & first 2 days packed with ichthammol to draw out pain and infection. YOu can't imagine the crud that comes out. Also put him on a round of antibiotics. Then started with resolve wound formula. You don't want to use icthammol longer than couple days, as it promotes proud flesh. Resolve pulled the cut together very fast, and no proud flesh at all. It stayed smooth whole time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NffRx53O3qA&feature=plcp

Default well all these posts made me feel a little better (misery likes company ;))

at least i don't feel like i'm an awful horse owner who after all these years is struggling with a "simple" cut.

I don't know how far above the coronary band your horse's is, but my guy caught himself on something last July about 3" above the coronary band on the front of his LH resulting in a quarter-sized (but upside-down triangle shaped) wound. It never really healed....just kept developing proud flesh. I tried everything (including an entire tub of Equiaide which seems to be the most often suggested proud flesh remedy on COTH). I finally resorted to cutting the proud flesh off with scissors on a semi-regular basis (in as sterile of a way as possible in case that sounds barbaric) which seemed to help. My vet kept saying that there was most likely something in there that was causing the proud flesh and that we needed to "explore" a bit, but he was sound and I didn't want to mess with it if it wasn't absolutely necessary. And then a month or so ago it got hot and scabbier looking and leaked out a bunch of pus, and 13 months after the initial injury FINALLY started to heal "for real." (It wasn't horrible looking prior to that, just looked like a small amount of proud flesh with healed tissue around it).

My guess is that the lack of healing was because of a foreign body (a splinter or piece of dirt or pus pocket, etc.), and I'm not convinced we would have gotten it via exploratory digging.

So I guess I'm commiserating with you over the fact that long lasting wounds are frustrating even when minor and not related to soundness. Good luck to you and I hope yours heals in less than 13 months!

marta, there's some kind of gel antibiotic (comes in a small expensive tube) that works well on hard-to-heal spots. Look in the meds cabinet in the feed room.

Apply tons of a bacitracin based topic ointment - Baciguent, for exemple.

Bacitracin stops the growth of most types of bacteria, preventing bacterial infections.

As soon as it looks like its closing, make sure you keep it with alushield at all times so it continues to heal.

after leaving it without anything last night today it looked significantly better. I cleaned it, applied alushield and left it alone.

jan, I will look for the ointment just in case things go south again.

Hi Marta!

This is an old post, but I just wanted to say it just came in handy today for me when I search coronary band cut. Liam cut his foot right above the coronary band yesterday on a solid wall jump. I am just going to keep it clean and apply that spray yellow stuff to it. I was thinking wonderdust too, but now I am not going to use it.

Hope all is well with you and your mare!

J

Default JLC

in the end i ended up getting an ointment from my vet which is a mixture of antibiotic and steroid (someone said it was much like Panalog). i was told to apply it to the forming proud flesh only as long as it takes for the proud flesh to disappear and the wound to flatten out. then to stop with the cream and just apply vit E cream to the edges. she also told me to keep it wrapped.

it was only with that treatment that it finally healed flat. right now it's a little hairless round spot about the size of a dime. i'm still applying vit. E. cream to the edges to keep the tissue pliable.